Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat attacking her kittens

Options
  • 06-11-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

my cat can be really cruel to her kittens if they come near her she will give them a swipe with her paw,when they were born she never took her eyes off them but now there about six months old she doesnt want anything to do with them just wondering is this normal for a mother cat to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Normal-ish as long as its not a full on vicious attack. To be honest its her way of telling them to "feck off,ive done my job,go get your own life" :p She wont have any of the maternal feelings she did when they were born and shes probably just tired of them now. I wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

yea i guess your right i mean she doesnt hurt them just pushes and hisses them away, i suppose its the same with all animals just a shame she couldnt be friendly to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Unfortunately, they're 6 moths old, they're their own cats as far as she's concerned!!

Bearing in mind that cats mate with each other regardless of family connections....:rolleyes:. They don't seem to continue with the maternal thing too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

We have 6 slightly feral cats at home all female(and neutered now) one of them had kittens and started to do that after about two months because she was pregnant again and was getting ready for the new kittens. If your cat is not neutered there is a good chance that is what has happened.

Advertisement