Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinkpoint

• 06-11-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

So in my infinite wisdom, I just managed to install this wonderful anti-virus program onto my laptop.

Oops.

I was sort of bullied into it, as it wouldn't let me do anything else, and my naivety bought into the windows looking icon as being the real deal. Again, oops.

Now, I managed to delete hotfix.exe from the task manager processes,and I am now left with a blue screen. I am afraid to turn off laptop in case it never comes back on again. Am supposed to be working this weekend so seriously annoyed with this.

Can anyone please explain how to make this nastiness go away? Thanks,

A.

PS, I am also getting a persistent pop-up about some MCR control thing and that it can't run so going to restore desktop. That's not happening either.

Would really appreciate any help on this matter, computer savvy I ain't so I'm totally at a loss here.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Virus & Malware Removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I somehow managed to get this about a week ago after being on the beer, when i restarted the computer and signed into my profile you can't do anything, just some screen saying it was searching for viruses or something to that effect and it wanted me to buy the premium program to remove any threats.
    I used system restore and when i restarted the computer it was as if the virus was never there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EddieFL

I have removed ThinkPoint from 1 machine using Win XP Pro and another using Vista. Vista required a slightly different solution as you will see from these directions:

First Solution (it will let you gain Internet connection so that you will be able to download a good antivirus).
    1. Restart your Windows OS in Safe Mode with Networking.
    2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\ UserProfile\ Application Data. (for Windows XP).
    3. Go to C:\Users\ AppData\Roaming or C:\Users\ AppData\Local (for Windows Vista and Windows 7).
    4. Rename the following files: hotfix to hotfixbak, tmp to tmpbak, thinkpoint to thinkpointback.
    5. Reboot your computer normally. Now you should be able to connect to the Internet.

Second Solution.
    1. Restart your computer. Once ThinkPoint appears press Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift+Esc. You should be able to see the Windows Task Manager screen.
    2. Click the Porcesses tab and kill: hotfix.exe.
    3. Now on the Task Manager window, click File – New Task – Run… and type explorer.exe.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Open your browser, download and run Spybot-S&D. After running Spybot be sure to click on the Immunize tab and immunize all the problems it found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Just eradicated the pest from my lap top there..Annoying fecker of a virus..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i got it during the week, very annoying. i ran system restore and everything was fine but i downloaded hitman pro to remove it completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Musikhola

ThinkPoint is spreading fast across the web because this scam is the most mentioned nowadays. I believe you can find good tips of how to get rid of ThinkPoint here. I've also read just today that this malware is using Fake Trojan Removal Kit as bait as well.

Advertisement