Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Band, Or Singer of all time...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Another singer that I love driving to is Colm Wilkinson, he has the greatest operatic voice to have ever come out of this country without question.

Going to see him on the 22nd of Nov, and a few days later I see W.A.S.P. at the Academy, an eclectic mix of music if ever there was one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Pink Floyd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

For me it has to be Director.

they are an irish band and they are BRILLIANT!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Favourite band would be Metallica, or even Pendulum these days. Depends.
    Singer - Robert Plant .

Musician - deadmau5 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

favourite band The stone roses, still made the greatest album for me in their debut

my fav song

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Pink Floyd are my favourite band. I don't mean the Pink Floyd that made Dark Side Of The Moon (although that album has its moments), I mean the Pink Floyd that recorded The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and See Emily Play.

Followed closely by:

Love and Arthur Lee (anyone that likes The Beatles White Album should listen to Forever Changes)
    The Byrds
    Jimi Hendrix
    Elvis Presley

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My favourite is always changing... Now? Lady Gaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The Chili Peppers were the 1st band that I really got into in a big way and for that they will always have a special place in my heart.

They are bringing out a new album in the new year...no john, not expecting it to be great without him :(

When they are bad they are bad but when they are at their best there is nobody like them in terms of their sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The Chili Peppers were the 1st band that I really got into in a big way and for that they will always have a special place in my heart.

They are bringing out a new album in the new year...no john, not expecting it to be great without him :(

When they are bad they are bad but when they are at their best there is nobody like them in terms of their sound.

Could not agree more, absolutely loved them as a band, by the way has to be one of my favourite albums ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Could not agree more, absolutely loved them as a band, by the way has to be one of my favourite albums ever.

Ah, By The Way...i agree with you there, they got slated a bit for changing thier sound from their Blood, Sugar, Sex days but if there is ever an album to put you in a good mood its By The Way. John there with his backing harmonies and his unique sound on the guitar were stamped all over that album :o

I was at Slane in 2003 when they were on tour with that album and it was magic!
    1st, and, have to say best gig I was ever at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Ah, By The Way...i agree with you there, they got slated a bit for changing thier sound from their Blood, Sugar, Sex days but if there is ever an album to put you in a good mood its By The Way. John there with his backing harmonies and his unique sound on the guitar were stamped all over that album :o

I was at Slane in 2003 when they were on tour with that album and it was magic!
    1st, and, have to say best gig I was ever at.

There was just something about the album that made me fall in love with it, my favourite song on it had to be The Zephyr Song, but it's definitely an album with which I loved every single song on it, and that doesn't happen often.

I just wish I had gotten to see them live around then, it would have been an amazing experience I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

For me its Alkaline Trio, Especially the earlier stuff. Their debut cd "Goddamnit" is one of few I would listen to right the way through.

Over the last couple of years I have really gotten into the Gaslight Anthem. Can't wait for the gigs in a few weeks.

Other honorable mentions go to Green Day ( yes it's cool to hate them but they are amazing), Alanis Morrisette, and The Deftones....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

favourite band The stone roses, still made the greatest album for me in their debut

my fav song

Good taste in music, just a pity you are an arsenal fan! haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Pffftt, too much dad music on this thread.

I used to be "with it." But then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm "with" isn't "it" and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Great idea for a thread! That said I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one song or person or piece of music. I have a very varied taste in music, my ipod has everything from Pavarotti and Mozart to Marilyn Manson and The Rolling Stones. And my top songs change a lot depending on my mood.

Saying that there are some songs I'll listen to over and over.

One of my favourite pieces of music ever is Pachelbel's Canon ( you might have heard on Vitamin C's Graduation song).

I also adore the Phantom of the Opera.

In terms of bands and musicians it is harder to pin down. Some of my favourites are;Take That, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Eminem, Coplay, Greenday, Thin Lizzy, Queen, The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, George Michael, Kylie Minogue, Pinkand about a million others.

And of course I love all the legends like Bowie, Dylan, Cash, Sinatra etc.

I couldn't pin down a favourite song, there are too many.

My current most listened to song though is Airplanes (B.o.B and Hailey Williams)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kanye West - The guys a Genius,

also really like Tinie Tempah.

My favourite band is probably Ocean Color Scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Band -Incubus closly followed by the chili peppers
    Song - Chilis - Zephyr Song (received the greatest compliment of my life while listenin to that song :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

nick cave

sonic youth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

might get slated but....eminem

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Favourite band: a toss up between the who, the beatles, oasis. Favourite singer: Liam Gallagher in his prime was majestic. Look up "Supersonic Earls Court 95", it is sensational. Pity his voice has gone though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

I do enjoy a bit of billy joel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A tie between Dream Theater and Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

recyclops wrote: »
    I do enjoy a bit of billy joel

Which bit?:D

Nah, seriously, Allentown is a very good track & an astute commentry on post war America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

So many great bands and artists to choose from. Led Zeppelin, The Who, Thin Lizzy, Chilli's, Metallica, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Doubt, Cab Calloway, Meatloaf, John Lee Hooker, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Philip Lynott and Thin Lizzy! Often imitated never equalled!!!! Most Definately the best band ever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Has to be Karen Carpenter for me. What a flawless, beautiful voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMgmgDq2Fo&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Which bit?:D

Nah, seriously, Allentown is a very good track & an astute commentry on post war America.

He in my regards is one of americas best songwriters when dealing with the countries issues and taking stances in general, allentown, goodnight saigon, downeaster alexa, the entertainer and scenes from an italian restaurant, all come across as stories rather than songs and he has a anger in alot of his songs which gives them passion.Did alot in russia during cold war too instead of just assuming they were all mad commies like alot of america at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

The Smiths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

equally split between gorillaz and blur

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

recyclops wrote: »
    He in my regards is one of americas best songwriters when dealing with the countries issues and taking stances in general, allentown, goodnight saigon, downeaster alexa, the entertainer and scenes from an italian restaurant, all come across as stories rather than songs and he has a anger in alot of his songs which gives them passion.Did alot in russia during cold war too instead of just assuming they were all mad commies like alot of america at the time

Yeah, I'm not a real Billy Joel fan per sae, but I sometimes wonder why he was never regarded in the same way as Dylan or Springsteen.

Maybe Uptown Girl & the whole Christine Brinkley thing made him a figure of fun in some people's eyes....

Advertisement