Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house policy declined after claim !

Options
  • 06-11-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

i had two claims on my house insurance recently, one for a damaged laptop and the other four weeks later for a leaking heating pipe. my policy is due for renew
    in december, got a letter from insurance company telling me thanks for your business over the years but declining to renew my house insurance this year. I feel like I`m being looked at as a chancer to con money out of them. If I go to another insurance company they will ask have i ever been declined insurance and i will have to be truthful and say yes so they may not insure me either.Ifeel this is unfair whats the point of paying insurance when they treat people like this? Has anyone ever had anything like this happen. I thought they would be happy to get their money back over the next couple of years not counting what I paid them the last couple of years. Is there anywhere I could get advice on this, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What is the exact wording of the letter they sent you. Are they saying they don't want to renew your policy or are they getting out of the house insurance market?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

This is the exact letter
    Dear mr - Thank you for being a valued customer of - - insurance over the past year.
    we are regrettably unable to offer a renewal quotation for your household policy. Your policywill automatically expire on 00.01, on ist december 2010. Please be assuredthat you will continue to be fully covered in line with the terms and conditions of your policy until the expiry date.

You need to contact them to see if they are running off their account or have picked you out. It can have long term consequences if they have singled you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

mail wrote: »
    This is the exact letter
    Dear mr - Thank you for being a valued customer of - - insurance over the past year.
    we are regrettably unable to offer a renewal quotation for your household policy. Your policywill automatically expire on 00.01, on ist december 2010. Please be assuredthat you will continue to be fully covered in line with the terms and conditions of your policy until the expiry date.

If this is the wording, then I wouldn't declare that as a previous decline as it technically isn't. To be declined, you have to apply. You didn't in this case - instead, they have told you in advance that they are not in a position to offer it to you.

Shop around. It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

dotsman wrote: »
    If this is the wording, then I wouldn't declare that as a previous decline as it technically isn't. To be declined, you have to apply. You didn't in this case - instead, they have told you in advance that they are not in a position to offer it to you.

Yep with 2 claims to his name, flood warnings issued for next 2 days, house insurance companies are really going to be falling over each other for this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »

It is a declinature as it stands. The wording on most declarations is 'has any insurer refused you or failed to offer renewal' that is why it is important to establish whether it is a blanket refusal or specific to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

oldyouth wrote: »
    'has any insurer refused you or failed to offer renewal'
    OK, if there is wording on the contract is to that affect, then the OP has problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Despite previous advice to the contrary, OP, you do have problems as a result of this letter.

I wish you all the best, but do not be tempted to lie when going through the questionnaires for cover with a new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Are you dealing with an INSURER or a TIED AGENT. It could be that you are a client of a tied agent, who may have changed insurer and the new insurer will not take on anyone with a claim.

The insurer is one of the main companies in ireland , who had a recent connection with anglo irish bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

When you shop around, you MUST tell the new prospective insurer that your current insurers have refused to offer renewal. If you don't and in the event of another claim, the new lads may not cover you at all!

A suggestion would be to approach your mortgage company, if you have a mortgage as they usually have a good relationship with their main insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

mail wrote: »
    The insurer is one of the main companies in ireland , who had a recent connection with anglo irish bank.

Quinn?

yes , they may as well just insure you against the house burning down and leave it at that, chances are you may never need them then. They include these things on your policy but why? The sponsership of the late late makes my blood boil what they make out all they will do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

In their view (due to your volume of claims) you are a bad risk. Why would they want to cover you?

(Sorry, harsh but true)

Volume of claims? have you ever heard that things com in two`s, i dont count two claims as volume , all together the cost would be around 2500 euro , I have paid a lot more than that over the last twenty five years , granted not to my present insurer but into the general insurance kitty. My point is they should just insure against the major incidents and forget about general household items.

Advertisement