Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earliest Memory

• 06-11-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just got an idea into my head to post this, the question to everyone is? What is your earliest memory? Mine was when I was 4 (21 years ago) and I was on holidays in the Isle Of Man with my family, we were at a shop. This man ran after me for no reason with a stick and tried to hit me with it (he was very drunk). My dad took serious offence and may have landed a few in him so I have been told..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I must have been about 1 and a half, I remember jumping up and down in the kitchen. Everything was yellow :P

I have pretty strong memories of everything from being 3 or 4 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Friendly Kruger

Being in The Crocdile Club in Pontins when I was 3, the song The Music Man was playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I was on holidays in Wales and I killed a robin with my welly........bad times

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

When Bobby died in home and away. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

might have been holidays down in cork building card house or grand mother dying which was also down in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

3 years of age and hiding behind the couch because either a werewolf or the incredible hulk was on the telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I see all my very early memories in first person. Now I see them as though I'm looking at me in a video/ picture of the event.

When I was about two years old, I was sitting in the landing in a sun trap, I remember the feeling of the heat and the brightness. I could see all the dust particles and my hands reaching up trying to catch them. I look down and can see my legs out and the green carpet. Then my little hands picking up carpet fluff and eating it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭BillShorey

I've seen too many videos of myself as a child to be able to genuinely remember a specific event. When I try, I find myself viewing "memories" in first person however a little recall proves it is my mind taking a "memory" from a video of myself that I watched and recreating it in a more realistic manner.

The only genuine memories I think I have are of being on a plane, having an accident on a bike on gravel and having my childminder picking gravel out of my hand with a hot needle. I'm sure there's more but every time I try to remember I get altered video footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

TheZohan wrote: »

Some peoples memory is a bit fucked up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

On hols in the Isle of Man when I was 3, watching the first Superman film in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think my earliest is looking out the nursery window as my ma walked off to work. Must have been 2 at the oldest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Breaking a Thomas the Tank Engine bedside lamp when staying at my cousins house when I wad five. Felt bad man. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My dad bringing me to the cinema for the first time to see Aladdin. He said it was raining and I was bored and not really playing with any of my stuff so we went. Turns out I wasnt playing because I was trying not to get sick. Had a stomach bug. He found out halfway through the film when I projectile vomited my popcorn onto the auld wan in front of me. Dad picked me up and ran back to the car and went home. We didnt go back for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

Being strapped into a pram and wearing a little yellow dress with very small white ducks with little pink bows on them. My aunty giving me some strawberry jelly and custard. I loved the jelly but got sick from the custard.... when i used to get a spoon of jelly it used to wobble and i would get a fit of the giggles....then everyone else would laugh at me.... I was about 6 months.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I was in a swimming race against 1 million competitors.
    I won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Sitting in the back seat of my dad's old Rover on the way home from somewhere far away and being really tired. Pretending to be asleep so dad would carry me in and I wouldn't have to walk. Seeing the little yellow boot swinging from the rear view mirror as dad lifted me out. Lying against his shoulder and feeling completely safe. I can only have been about two-and-a-half.

When I was about three, I remember my mam and me getting stuck in the lift of our block of flats with some other people. The doors were opened and I was lifted out, had to sit for ages in the hallway as they waited for the fire brigade to get everyone else out. Remember staring at my mam's ankles for ages, was really worried that if I stopped looking at her the lift would fall down. I'm still nervous in lifts.

My older sister sticking her leg out the window of the flat and threatening to jump if I didn't give her my bottle/sweeties/biscuit/teddy. We were on the 11th floor. I'm still scared of heights.

Belting it round our flat on my tricycle, crashing into the orange cupboards.

Chasing pigeons on Trafalgar Square.

It's easy to know which ones are my earliest memories, they're the ones in London before we moved home to Ireland (when I was three).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

Earliest memory is being on holidays in Wales bird watching with my Dad and saw some punk kid kill a robbin with his willie, or it could have been his welly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Nearly choking to death on a Malteaser when I was around three.

My dad and uncle jumping around the sitting room hugging each other, beer flying everywhere after Packie Bonners penalty shootout save in Italia '90!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

My boyfriends dad once told me in all seriousness that "some people have such good memories that they actually remember the face of the person who delivered them"

It still cracks me up whenever I think about it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

magicface1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just got an idea into my head to post this...

Well done. It hasn't been asked (recently).

My earliest memory: Kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Photo being taken of me when I was very young probably a baby and remember looking at my hand and fist, photo taken of that pose. Think I was only a few weeks old then, weird eh! Say I can remember being taken to hospital I might have been around 6 months old, being cuddled up in my mams arms in my bonette and baby shawl. After that it would have been when I was around 2 years old I was chasing my then dog around the back garden! I can remember most things from my childhood onwards, some things I rather just forget and other things I'd rather remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Being 3 and being taken into temple street hospital. I remember the dotor trying to get an IV line into my arm. I had two nurses holding my legs and arms. I was screaming and chocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Both I'm told are about when I was 20 months, one was a jack russell getting through the gates of our house and bursting my football (Could explain why I have zero interest in Sport these days), or it could be the other one of being sat on the kitchen counter and being allowed to push the button on the top of the sodastream. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I can't really place memories in chronological order at all, like something could've happened when I was 7 or 3 and I can't really tell...I remember being in hospital when I was four, and I can actually remember how I felt and can picture exactly what I saw, but I only know I was four because my parents told me. So it mightn't actually be my earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I can't remember how old I was maybe 3 or 4 at the very most (because my nanny was still alive at the time) it was winter and my dad had gone up the fields to put the calves in. I put my wellies on, I was in my little sleepy suit and set off on the adventure with my two favorite teddies: Eddie the teddy and snowy. (the snowman - the most favorite teddy!)

Sure it was wet and I only got so far before I got stuck in the mud and my dad didn't pass near. There was a search party going for me after a while and I was stuck in the pitch dark in my little wellies rooted to the spot bawling like an ass.

I was so happy when my dad found me, I couldn't even turn around! But, I do remember feeling like a hero amid the scolding I got from my mother!

Advertisement