Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your petrol?!

Options
  • 07-11-2010 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

So usually I buy my petrol at tesco's (tullamore) - mainly for the clubcard points. Last night I went to pay for it, and seen on the door that for every 2 euro you now spend on fuel, its worth 1 point. Ehhh.

Now, I know that we're in a recession, ect, and i know that its still more than other shops are giving us, but Tesco is, along with topaz, the most expensive place in town presently, to buy petrol.

I'm so mad. For the sake of the points, and me being stingy, I'm not going to buy petrol there anymore. A ) Because I feel they pulled a sly one. B) I'm pretty sure their petrol is crap.

So good boardsies. Where do you buy? Where do you feel sells the best petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I usually purchase the juice for my car in heffernans,probably more outta handiness than anything,but ive never had any problem with the petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I actually drive to Kilbeggan to get mine, its 127.9/128.9 most of the time in the Topaz on the way in, and in the place on the way out the old athlone rd.
    It helps that I travel that way once a week, but even if i didnt id still drive over.

Tullamore petrol prices are a joke, and Tesco is no cheaper than anywhere else, and its been said that the petrol quality is crap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I always use Tesco in Tullamore again for the clubcard points and because it used to be cheaper than anywhere else. Also used to give 5c off per litre at certain times if you spent 50euro in the shop.

I use diesel and have got it recently in Sligo for 1.19 per litre, which is 5c cheaper than Tesco.
    Didn't realise that 1pt per 2euro spent:eek: what a load of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

If I have to buy in Tullamore, it's the Esso beside KFC that has cheapest price, but normally fill up outside, Kilbeggan as said, or Topaz Mullingar - both seem consistently about 3-4c cheaper than anywhere in Tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I used to buy petrol at tesco about 3 times. But realised its sh1te. Much cheaper to syphon anyway, every little helps:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Topaz in Kilbeggan and McGees in Kilbeggan.

Also Applegreen beside the hospital in Portlaoise and also, because of Applegreen's strong pricing, you can get good prices at Corrib Oil on the Mountmellick rd and use the fob to avail of points on fuel and on groceries in Eurospar across the way in Gandon Court development.

Essentially, keep shopping around folks! It can add up to 2-300 per year, and that's the price of half a tank of heating oil

• Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

I stopped buying Petrol in Tesco - I felt it wasnt lasting as long plus the price was no cheaper than elsewhere in town.

I usually buy mine in Topaz in Kilbeggan but I generally go that direction each morning. In Tullamore I use the station on the Cappincur road. Always cheaper prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I buy mine in Newbridge Kildare because I work there and the prices are usually as low as anywhere in the country. Was over in Clara yesterday though and found the Topaz out the Ballycumber road to be a great price. Tesco in Tullamore used to be the cheapest in town by far, but in the last year the whole of Tullamore seems to be way above most other large towns in terms of petrol adn diesel prices.

I got a tenner petrol in Emo's on the daingean road today. Not sure is it good petrol, because i put it in the feckin diesel jeep, DOH. Then had to half fill the tank wit diesel to mix it up:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

offaly1 wrote: »
    I usually purchase the juice for my car in heffernans,probably more outta handiness than anything,but ive never had any problem with the petrol...

Same as, nothing to do with price though i must admit, some lovely girls working in there :pac:

• Advertisement

A 'lovely' fella there too for those lads who are into that sort of thing. But yea every person who served me there were very nice in fairness. I dont go there often but no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Interesting that since i last posted on this thread, petrol prices have gone from 1.27 ish up to 1.49+ in the space of 4 mths! :eek:

Thats a huge jump in such a short space of time. No fear of them knocking a few cent off the tax on it for a while, until the middle east situation stabilises of course! :rolleyes:

I remember when petrol was was 1.16 back in 2006/07, before i moved abroad, and thinking that was expensive! :eek:

But to go from 1.16 to 1.27 in 4yrs is not a surprise, but from 1.27 to 1.49 in 4 mths??!!:mad::mad:

Oh for the days of 0.87 back in 2002/03. :( Everything else seems to have dropped back to the way it was before the boom, wages, house prices, benefits, if only the cost of living would do the same....:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Bryano11

Never buy your petrol in Tescos, it will destroy your engine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bryano11 wrote: »
    Never buy your petrol in Tescos, it will destroy your engine!

Link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Bryano11

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Link?
    What you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

He's means that you'll have to have a source before shouting it out.

Advertisement