Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Akira is an abomination

Options
  • 07-11-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭

Zac Efron Cast as Kaneda, don't feel like saying any more than that :(

akirazac.jpg

hopefully not true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Hughes has also talked about the film being PG-13

Wat...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The problem with Hollywood and trying to convert Manga's and Anime's to film is that they consistently make the mistake that if it featured children and adolescents in Japan that it needs to be converted to appeal to children and adolescents in America.

They can't comprehend that Japan makes animes with children that are aimed to be watched by adults.

I'd dread to see how they would massacre a conversion of Elfin Lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The problem with Hollywood and trying to convert Manga's and Anime's to film is that they consistently make the mistake that if it featured children and adolescents in Japan that it needs to be converted to appeal to children and adolescents in America.

I think its more general in that they see all animaterd films as aimed at children, and maybe Pixars offerings as "family" viewing. So anything in that medium MUST be for kids.

Would like to se how they express the scene where one gang beats the hell out of Kaneda (i think its him) and is ripping a girls clothes off in the process of raping her in a PG-13 film? They push her around and knock Kaneda gently to the ground and the audience goes "Ohhhhhh, they are SOOOO bad".

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Oh god. *face palm*. I think there has been talk for years of an Akira live action film, so maybe it will never happen.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sure, still not as bad as casting Kiera Knightley as Rei in the Evangelion live action...

Sure, still not as bad as casting Kiera Knightley as Rei in the Evangelion live action...

huh? Source..

huh? Source..

I heard it from one of the adv importers I have an in with. Could be total bull but he seemed convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 milito

Noooo HORROR :mad:
    :(

Well to be honest and afaik the Eva long action movie has been in the grave for awhile now, they say its never going to happen and I really can't see it to be honest, too many people to please. Also is Kiera abit old to be Rei? I remember Weta or someone who was going to be involved said he would ideally want the actors and actresses to be the same age or near the age of the characters.

Anyway back to Akira...:P

• Advertisement

Well to be honest and afaik the Eva long action movie has been in the grave for awhile now, they say its never going to happen and I really can't see it to be honest, too many people to please. Also is Kiera abit old to be Rei? I remember Weta or someone who was going to be involved said he would ideally want the actors and actresses to be the same age or near the age of the characters.

Anyway back to Akira...:P

He reckoned she could pull it off considering her physique and that they would use older actors considering the American public would not accept teens in such adult oriented situations.

I am actually kind of happy it's in the grave. The anime to me has more "life" then any live action ever could.

I always thought Akira kind of sucked anyway. There, I said it! :p

the new and improved short haired Emma Watson would be an awesome Rei ¬_¬

Funky wrote: »
    the new and improved short haired Emma Watson would be an awesome Rei ¬_¬

*bleugh* no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GuardianDemon

Whats her name that did Hit-Girl ? I think she'd be good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I'd go to it if Emma Watson or Kiera Knightly were in it.

By contrst, this looks epic:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Meh. It will never be made anyway, just like that Death Note adaptation which curiously enough also had Zac Effron penciled in for the leading role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This would be the Akira live action film thats been in development hell since the early 90's...that was being 'fast tracked' several years ago with Ruairi Robinson directing and fell apart and is now listed as being 'fast tracked' again with no director attached. The only person pushing for it is the producer Andrew Lazar whose credits include most recently Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, not a big pusher so no way he will be able to get a decent enough writer and director together to get the budget needed to produce. He's just trying to stir crap up about it to push his most recent film Jonah Hex which is based off a comic book as well and bombed big time on release.

Wouldn't get overly worked up about the whole thing TBH.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Please, for the love of God. Leave Akira alone!

leave-britney-alone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Padman

They can't comprehend that Japan makes animes with children that are aimed to be watched by adults.

I dont think it has anything to do with that.American film makers are more interested in money than making something worthwhile and the higher the age the less money you get.

They are also of the mentality that all Animation is targeted at kids so when converting it to live action they dumb it down.

Zac Efron being cast is another money thing.Big name person makes big money.They dont care about getting the right person for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

That viewpoint is not unique. Whenever I talk about anime, most people think of pokemon or digimon, they cant understand why a 'cartoon' would be aimed at an adult audience

Haa elfen lied, people are 'hugged' by the vectors and fall down from weak knees.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

milito wrote: »

Are you saying no to Kiera Knightly in a skin-tight plug suit? Are you actually saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Numina wrote: »
    Are you saying no to Kiera Knightly in a skin-tight plug suit? Are you actually saying that?

It should be a skin-tight plug suit or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In fairness, Rei is pretty mute.
    So nothing of value is lost.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    In fairness, Rei is pretty mute.
    So nothing of value is lost.

Rei doesn't need to say much. She has a way about her that Kiera simply could not pull off.

Rei doesn't need to say much. She has a way about her that Kiera simply could not pull off.

Awh dont' worry the fanboys wouldn't have it, they would want and demand a Japanese actress to be Rei. :P

Awh dont' worry the fanboys wouldn't have it, they would want and demand a Japanese actress to be Rei. :P

That's not necessarily true, we have plenty of talented caucasian cosplayers who would fit the bill quite well. I wonder who I have in mind...Hmmmmm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alanmoore

milito wrote: »

that one is good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don'y think the producers will care, for Japan itself movie revenue is low so these hollywood versions will be made for western audiences and i don't think they'll have an all Asian cast as it would mostly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not like anyone in Evangelion even LOOKS remotely Asian, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Not like anyone in ANY anime looks Asian really :p

Advertisement