Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way I can test my broadband?

• 07-11-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

I'm getting near 7mbps most of the time from Eircom. The problem i'm having lately is that the connection seems to drop for around 30 seconds every 10 minutes (so I only have local access).

I cannot figure out whats causing this problem, I know I could ring up their support but the problem is that they'd say reset your router, now is it working, i'd say ye and they'd say problem solved. It's intermittent and doesn't last long so there's little use calling someone who reads off a sheet, especially if I can't tell whether it's fixed or not till it happens again.

I was wondering if there's any good way for me to test my connection to find out where the problem lies or a tool that I can switch on that'll keep a good record of whats happening with my connection?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Eutow wrote: »

Thanks but i'm not looking to test the speed of the connection, there's nothing wrong with the speed i'm getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to check your line stats. It sounds like your modem isn't able to maintain that speed, so it could be a low SNR issue. You check line stats by logging into the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

jor el wrote: »
    You need to check your line stats. It sounds like your modem isn't able to maintain that speed, so it could be a low SNR issue. You check line stats by logging into the modem.

Thanks, i've taken a look at the stats. I've looked through explanations but I havn't seen a guideline on what to expect. Are these currently reasonable (I know they change regularly but it will give me a reasonable baseline)

Downstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7968
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.50
    CRC Errors 1570

Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 512
    SN Margin (dB) 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50
    CRC Errors 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your SNR Margin on the downstream is too low, and I'd be willing to bet that that's why the connection keeps dropping. Anything below 10dB is going to lead to problems. You may need to talk to eircom about reducing your line speed to a more reliable rate.

See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

looks like you are on a 8mb profile

call them an ask them to lower you to 7mb, it should fix the disconnections

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

go to start - run - type cmd
    this opens a dos window
    in to it type ping -n 100 www.eircom.net

Packet loss should be 0

Advertisement