Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective mature medical student! help!!

Options
  • 07-11-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys

could someone please help me - i want to do medicine for a variety of reasons but i have a few major stumbling blocks. 1. my degree (biomedical science) i only got a 2.2 as a result of doing a poor research project. my dad was also in hospital for 2 months when i started my final year which didn't help. 2. in my previous years in college i had to resit 4 exams. When applying as a mature student im sure i need to send transcripts and i just dont know how i will explain this. this didn't affect my overall degree (which i knew and it would.ve helped if i went to the lectures) as our degree went on final year. However i did feel i excelled in my final year except for my project where i got really stressed and freaked out and completely rushed it and to be honest i think i only got a 2.2 cos i want to do medicine, if that makes sense. Its not good enough in my eyes but i just dont know what to do. I have to sbmit a personal statement with my application and im hoping to meet the academic staff in the college but i just don't know what to say/do. i know i have the option of georges and nottingham but i am from another country and the mature route is now my only way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I don't entirely understand your post. What does the fact that you're from another country have to do with Nottingham and George's University? And I don't think there is a 'mature entry' to medicine. It's grad, or undergrad.

There are 2 ways to get into medicine in Ireland. One is by leaving cert and HPAT, the other is by a 2:1 degree and GAMSAT. A 2:2 degree will not get you into Graduate Medicine regardless of extenuating circumstances.

There is no personal statement in the Irish system, only when applying using the UCAS.

Your options are repeating your dissertation in order to get your 2:1, or sitting the GAMSAT and hoping that you can get an interview with Nottingham or George's. If you're trying to meet with academic staff in the hope that they overlook your non-2:1 degree, don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm pretty sure you can actually apply as a mature student, in Trinity anyway. And I'm also quite sure there is a personal statement and interview process.

I don't *think* you need a 2:1 with this route, although I could be very, very wrong on this.

OP, what are your Leaving Cert results like (assuming you sat the LC) ?

You could just sit the HPAT and add them to your points AFAIK and get in that way, if they're good enough, even if you already did an undergrad. You'll obvo have to pay fees, but it's an option.

Advertisement