Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not understanding other peoples interests

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

American football is great if you know what's going on. I played a bit in junior high, it's a lot of fun.

I love American football, just not soccer, I genuinely dont have anything against it, I just never got into it. I honestly couldnt tell you who plays for what team these days, it doesnt matter to me in the slightest.

I never got baseball either, but I was over in San Fran last week when the Giants won the World Series, sweet jesus you want to talk about crazy fans, the entire city went bananas when they won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

My 4 year old son is mad about star wars (i've heard him talking in his sleep about it too "get them, clones") and he's constantly going on about it, he looks at me like i'm an alien cos I can't grasp how fantastic the whole thing is,
    my boyfriend wants to just collect trophies on the playstation all the time and feels the need to explain each and every one of them to me,
    my baby daughter wants to chew on everything she can get her hands on

They're all weird......

I could talk about hair and make up all day but how could you not want to hear about that!!

Oh and to the poster who said they love lost, I loved it too, are you watching the new show called 'the event'? It's really good, hope it doesn't get cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

super-rush wrote: »
    .. the idea of sitting there for three or four hours staring at cards seems pointless to me.

Grown adults watching men pretending to fight seems pretty pointless to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

WWE is PW. I like it for the athleticism and the pagentry of it all.

Oh i always thought PW was meant to be the more 'serious' version.

WWE had some very cute wrestlers a few years back, which helped with the watching.
    WWF was the best though, back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I will whoop you Pete. :P

Yeah, it's an odd one, I think I should hate it, but I love watching it.

Kinda like Marmite tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I get the same when i go fishing. Many people can't understand why i would sit for hours in the pi$$ing rain/freezing cold and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

It's more about the storylines and the characters involved. Pro wrestlers are actually great actors if you watch the shows. It's like soap opera for men I suppose. I used to watch it a lot as a kid but it's become a bit ridiculous lately.

That being said, a lot of the earlier WCW matches back in the 80s were brutal. There wasn't too much being faked back then. Broken arms, broken legs, broken necks...the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's only lately I've appreciated WWE, only ever throw it on when I come in from a night out but you have to appreciate that choreography, which is what it is
    Not too interested in the theatrics, although only discovered Seamus a couple of months back which was hilarious but they put on a good shoe so kudos
    Dont really understand how you can be "into it" at a late age though

Then again I've told of a lot of things that I'm not into on this thread and now I can't think of anything that I genuinely am into. So maybe thats worse...

Have a great concept of whats happening in the world but I can express my opinions so thats useless

But then again I am a total ride with road frontage so nothing matters to me

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I will whoop you Pete. :P

Yeah, it's an odd one, I think I should hate it, but I love watching it.

Kinda like Marmite tbh.

That's my point really - we all have things that we can't understand others liking, there are no exceptions really.

We all think what we like, should be liked by others and if they don't, there is something lacking in them.

That's just not necessarily the case at all.

Sure, didn't I have words with Springsteen for over this ;)

re

Hate wrestling, love Boxing though!

• Advertisement

To the people who dont get Star Wars, its very much a generational thing. If you were a child of the late 70s or 80s then Star Wars was a part of your childhood, simple as. There are very few pieces of entertainment that have changed the world, Star Wars is one of them. That may sound like a fanboyish statement, but its true, it came at just the right time, the post Vietnam when America had lost faith in its politcal leaders and it was a much more cynical time than the Kennedy era 60's. It was a story told in many forms before, good vs evil, young boy gets whisked off on a wild adventure filled with magic and fantasy, but it was set in a time and place which filmgoers had never seen before.
    It ushered in a new era of special effects, gave birth to ILM, without whom there'd be no Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Titanic, and countless other blockbusters with amazing effects. No Pixar (George Lucas owned it originally) which means no Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Up, Monsters Inc, Wall-E.
    Not to mention Lucas's pioneering sound and video presentation, no THX movies with digital sound or projection, its so easy to forget that all of these things came from one movie, Star Wars. not to mention it gave us some of the most iconic characters, sound effects, musical cues and visual moments of the last 30 years of cinema.
    My dad told me that he went to see Star Wars after Mark Hammill appeared on the Late Late Show in 1978, and as the opening shot of the Star Destroyer cruising over the camera happened you could literally hear the air being sucked out of the cinema by an audience gasping at what they were seeing, who had never seen something like this on film before. We've become a jaded audience who need to be wowed with bigger and better effects but Star Wars was a simple story told with incredible imagination, and the world is a much better place with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This is my thing that no-one understands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh i always thought PW was meant to be the more 'serious' version.

WWE had some very cute wrestlers a few years back, which helped with the watching.
    WWF was the best though, back in the day.

Wrestling is a bit backwards like that. The non fake wrestling, non fake being that the result of the match is not pre determined is classed as amateur wrestling and the kind that you see on tv is known as pro wrestling.

I get the same when i go fishing. Many people can't understand why i would sit for hours in the pi$$ing rain/freezing cold and enjoy it.

Well, in fairness - they're just lacking in something :D

But then again I am a total ride with road frontage

I got rid of the un-important parts of your post there.
    That's the important stuff right there.

krudler wrote: »
    and the world is a much better place with it.

Aw bless u, you'd almost make people feel bad for not being into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

To the people who dont get Star Wars, its very much a generational thing. If you were a child of the late 70s or 80s then Star Wars was a part of your childhood, simple as.

Bit of a generalisation there to say the least.

cc-offe wrote: »
    Aw bless u, you'd almost make people feel bad for not being into it!
    I'm not into it, but I appreciate that it introduced Special effects as we know them into the world of cinema.

I mean does anyone remember the original King Kong?

Star Wars took the genre to a whole new level.

I'm not into it, but I appreciate that it introduced Special effects as we know them into the world of cinema.

I used to always think that there were some adults that played up to loving star wars/mario that type of thing but my 4 year old LOOOOOVEES star wars and no one else in the family really ever watched it so I do appreciate that for some people they just had a connection with the film!

• Advertisement

yes, it managed to tell the exact same story in less than 90 minutes that Peter Jackson took almost 4 hours to tell in the overblown remake :pac:

yes, it managed to tell the exact same story in less than 90 minutes that Peter Jackson took almost 4 hours to tell in the overblown remake :pac:
    Ah to be fair, I could tell the Trilogy LOTR in about 9-10 minutes.

I actually liked the new King Kong movie :(

Ah to be fair, I could tell the Trilogy LOTR in about 9-10 minutes.

I actually liked the new King Kong movie :(

Oh so did I , but its not without its faults, side characters that just disappear, plotlines that just go nowhere. The effects are amazing in places and I really like it overall, but there was absolutely no need for it to be over 3 hours long, and longer again in the extended version.

cc-offe wrote: »
    .. my 4 year old LOOOOOVEES star wars and no one else in the family really ever watched it so I do appreciate that for some people they just had a connection with the film!

"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice".

;)

Oh so did I , but its not without its faults, side characters that just disappear, plotlines that just go nowhere. The effects are amazing in places and I really like it overall, but there was absolutely no need for it to be over 3 hours long, and longer again in the extended version.
    Jesus christ there's an extended version?

My god, it was long enough, how much more did they add on to it?

Mad bastards.

Jesus christ there's an extended version?

My god, it was long enough, how much more did they add on to it?

Mad bastards.

There sure is, the cinema version ran at 3hrs 7 mins, the extended dvd version is 3hrs 50 mins, its on two discs as it wouldnt fit on one, same as the extended LOTR movies, the extended Return of the King is almost 4 1/2 hours long

• Advertisement

There sure is, the cinema version ran at 3hrs 7 mins, the extended dvd version is 3hrs 50 mins, its on two discs as it wouldnt fit on one, same as the extended LOTR movies, the extended Return of the King is almost 4 1/2 hours long
    Never really liked the LOTR tbh, I only watched them because it was an impressive cinematic experience, and I didn't want to miss it.

Didn't really find the storyline all that great, but again, the Visuals were amazing.

Another thing I can't understand, people who are into feet. They're rank. Simple as. No negotiating here. Time for leaba now

Another thing I can't understand, people who are into feet. They're rank. Simple as. No negotiating here. Time for leaba now
    I've heard you like to dress feet up daily?

Is this true?

Its hard to believe the first LOTR movie came out almost a decade ago, its 10th anniversary is next christmas. I remember lining up in the freezing cold every year for 3 years to see them, me and a bunch of friends took the day off work to see Return of the King on opening day, it was sad knowing we wouldnt have another one to look forward to the year after as they became such a big event at christmas time. Some people thought we were mad for doing that, but this is exaclty what this thread is about, to us it was more than just a film you could watch at any time or christ forbid, wait to show on tv, it was an event.

Tried watching LOTR a few times-could never get into it. That and Harry Potter. Always stick them in the same category for some reason even though i know they're not.

• Advertisement

I've heard you like to dress feet up daily?

Is this true?

ya got me

Some peoples feet are, but one of my exes had absolutely gorgeous feet, all her toes were nicely shaped, always had her nails painted well, that kinda thing, I never had much of an opinion on feet before I met her but I loved hers. I do massage therapy so I touch peoples feet a lot, and some of them are indeed manky, but some women have nice feet.

Its hard to believe the first LOTR movie came out almost a decade ago, its 10th anniversary is next christmas. I remember lining up in the freezing cold every year for 3 years to see them, me and a bunch of friends took the day off work to see Return of the King on opening day, it was sad knowing we wouldnt have another one to look forward to the year after as they became such a big event at christmas time. Some people thought we were mad for doing that, but this is exaclty what this thread is about, to us it was more than just a film you could watch at any time or christ forbid, wait to show on tv, it was an event.
    Jesus, 3 years is a long time to wait in line :P
    alwaysadub wrote:
    Tried watching LOTR a few times-could never get into it. That and Harry Potter. Always stick them in the same category for some reason even though i know they're not.

I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies either, I have read all the books multiple times, and I am waiting for them all to be out on DVD, so I can buy the box set, and watch them all in one day.

Extremely sad, yes, but fúck me that will be an epic day when it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Redheads with pale skin and freckles. Everyone says gingers are horrible but I really like redheaded girls. They have lovely skin. :)

Redheads with pale skin and freckles. Everyone says gingers are horrible but I really like redheaded girls. They have lovely skin. :)
    Anyone who has watched mythbusters will agree with you.

I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies either, I have read all the books multiple times, and I am waiting for them all to be out on DVD, so I can buy the box set, and watch them all in one day.

Extremely sad, yes, but fúck me that will be an epic day when it comes.

it'll be interesting to watch them all together for the first time, the first 2 movies are different in tone the rest of them its like they're a completely different series of films, the first is all innocent and magical and very kid friendly but like the characters in the books, the movies get more geared towards older kids and eventually teenagers as the kids themselves get older, which was a genius move on JK Rowlings part, the 10 year old who saw the first movie or read the first book wouldnt be the same person by the time the 6th book came out and would have different interests in life.

I read all the books up until Order of the Phoenix and stopped, so anything that happens in the movies now is a surprise, except for the ending of Deathly Hallows, damn internet ruining everything..

It's the lack of a soul that freaks people out.

It's the lack of a soul that freaks people out.

Oh, you're in trouble now :p

Not with me though, cos thankfully i'm not cursed with that affliction.

it'll be interesting to watch them all together for the first time, the first 2 movies are different in tone the rest of them its like they're a completely different series of films, the first is all innocent and magical and very kid friendly but like the characters in the books, the movies get more geared towards older kids and eventually teenagers as the kids themselves get older, which was a genius move on JK Rowlings part, the 10 year old who saw the first movie or read the first book wouldnt be the same person by the time the 6th book came out and would have different interests in life.

I read all the books up until Order of the Phoenix and stopped, so anything that happens in the movies now is a surprise, except for the ending of Deathly Hallows, damn internet ruining everything..
    That is one of the reasons why I loved the books, what a very clever move from her tbh.

I can't wait till the year after next, then it will happen.

I predict may 2012 as the month I will get to watch them all.

• Advertisement

That is one of the reasons why I loved the books, what a very clever move from her tbh.

I can't wait till the year after next, then it will happen.

I predict may 2012 as the month I will get to watch them all.

Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best movie imo, it just gets everything right, and the werewolf is creepy as fcuk.

Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best movie imo, it just gets everything right, and the werewolf is creepy as fcuk.
    I was thinking of watching them all the day before the new one comes out, and then going to see that, It's a toss up between watching them all together, or doing that.

Honestly, I'd love to wait to watch them all, but I don't want to miss a great cinematic experience aswell, tough choice tbh, just a shame the last book is in two parts, or it would work well :(

Oh, you're in trouble now :p

Course, tomorrow night as I take my seat, I won't be saying what I did too loud ;)

http://www.theo2.ie/event/simply-red/

I was thinking of watching them all the day before the new one comes out, and then going to see that, It's a toss up between watching them all together, or doing that.

Honestly, I'd love to wait to watch them all, but I don't want to miss a great cinematic experience aswell, tough choice tbh, just a shame the last book is in two parts, or it would work well :(

Its probably the biggest fault with some of the later movies, they leave out so much stuff from the books its like you're watching a highlight reel rather than an adaptation, especially the Half Blood Prince, from what people I know who have read the book have said its one of the most poorly adapted ones, even the revelation of who the half blood prince is, its just one line in the movie and not even that big a moment like I imagined it would be, given its the title of the book. But I hadnt read that so I didnt know anyway. It cant be easy to adapt a 700 page book into one movie and keep everyone happy, look at the amount of stuff left out or changed from the LOTR books to the movie to keep the films shorter, and they ran over 3hrs apiece, even The Hobbit is going to be two films and thats a much shorter book than LOTR, having to wait months between the movies is a pain as well when it comes to sequels, remember when Kill Bill came out and Tarantino said part II was only a few weeks away? then it turned out to be over 6 months later and hardly anyone cared.

Course, tomorrow night as I take my seat, I won't be saying what I did too loud ;)

That reminds, I got two free tickets for Gorillaz in the o2, but everyone is working so people can't go :(

Also OT - I think someone is a bit drunk.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056082375

Oh, you're off to see Mick are ya? Very nice.
    How many farewell concerts is that he's done though?!

Oh, you're off to see Mick are ya? Very nice.
    How many farewell concerts is that he's done though?!

Where there others? I'm not bothered, just always wanted to see them anyway sure.
    Also OT - I think someone is a bit drunk.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056082375

"Right wing"???

:p

Where there others? I'm not bothered, just always wanted to see them anyway sure.

I thought he did one a few years back. I could be mistaken though!

I thought he did one a few years back. I could be mistaken though!

Maybe he had to do another farewell tour as money was too tight to mention?

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement