Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to see Santa?

• 07-11-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Well since this is our first year of having to think about bringing our little lady to see Santa, I'm just wondering where everyone is planning on bringing their little people to see the jolly ol fella?

I've always wanted to go to the one in Dundrum so I think we'll be going there. My SIL and I were thinking of planning a trip down to Rathwood in Tullow. There's supposed to be a lovely winter wonderland there!

Oh its so exciting isn't it??

Also, what is Santa bringing for your little people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We were thinking of heading to Arnotts early on a school morning with our two... just brought Addison to the Ilac Centre one last year and she was terrified! Hopefully she'll be ok this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We take ours to the ailwee caves or bunratty castle. (we are in the area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've heard great things about Ailwee, but it would be a bit of a trek for us. Our lad is definitely too young this year, but for future reference what age do you think they'd begin to enjoy it from, grindelwald? (I know each child is different etc).

From my experience with my own lads, 3 and over, at 2 they are still scared of Santa and wont go near him.

Last year my fella turned 3, 1 week after seeing Santa at the ailwee caves, he had a ball, but was still apprehensive of santa and garbed the pressie and ran, the other guy was 4.5 and was fine, i brought torches with us as it is a bit dark in the caves. It was busy enough I didn't think too many would make it because the roads were sheets of ice, we had to go real slow and had 2 near misses, the van in front of us was all over the place.

We have only ever been to bunratty and ailwee so i have nothing to compare it on, bunratty is good too, if you have an early booking you can visit the castle.

Must say the experience is good the pressies are from the 2 euro shop, it costs €96 for 2 adults and 2 kids. you get to see half the cave and sing songs on the way down to see Santa. there is face painting and storytelling so you would want to be an hour early for your visit to Santa or stay behind an hour to enjoy the other things that go on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Santa visited the creche last year and I went over for their party too so we didn't go again.
    This year she will be nearly 2 and well able to tell santa what she would like.
    We are bringing her to santas cottage up in Rostrevor because it sounds magical and is very near the grandparents house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I believe Rathwood is pretty much sold out, some friends were looking into ti a few weeks ago and they got a nov date - (We wont go as tried to book it 2 yrs ago and they insisted they had to charge full price for my baby who would have been 2-3 wks old. told them to shove it)
    Have a look at local events as there are usually lots of opportunities to see the fake jolly one without paying, like in our area: The Kildare Village Outlet has a free Santa visit, take as many pics as you want, out local pharmacy does one also inc free gift and take your own pics or the staff will take some and give them out free, Santa will turn-on the lights in the village, our toddler group will do a Santa visit with gift and there will be one to the older one's pre-school with a gift; apart from Kildare it is usually the same guy, who is excellent, so I will not be paying someone for the privilege this year.
    Mu older guy was terrified until last yr, but at the toddler group the Santa just sat in the corner and all the children queued us and got their gift, but then he just stayed there until the end and the older braver children got to go and play and talk to him which was so lovely. When we went to Kildare a few days afterwards he was very brave with and went up 2 or 3 times to talk to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Just looked at the Rathwood place and they want to charge full price - 15 Euro - for babies this year too!! Scandalous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I live in Ennis and I wouldn't dream of forking out that kind of money for crappy presents (no offence grindelwald)

I have been bringing mini me to moher farm since she was tiny and she LOVES it
    Its not that it's cheap but it is cheaper than Moher & Aillwee and mammy & daddy get free coffee or mulled wine & a mince pie in the coffee shop after

They have a petting zoo for kids to take a wander around, they can feed the reindeer there is an indoor bouncy castle to pass the time while mammy & daddy queue for Santa and the pressies they do get when they get there are definitely not of the €2 variety

Couldn't recommend the place highly enough which is funny cos we found it totally by accident :D

http://www.moherfarm.ie/index.php?p=attractions

Been to moher hill pet farm loads of times but never to see santa, Its pretty cold up there and my god is it windy. kids love it for a little while then it gets too cold to be out (even in the summer(not that we have had any good ones lately)). They have had Easter egg hunts and magic shows as well which were fun. They are dear enough to get in to as well.

Bunratty gives decent pressies, but its not all about pressies its about the experience. the cheap pressie is neither here not there to us (i would not say its an added bonus either).

We were at fota wildlife park one year and they had santa but didn't bother to go see him. I would say ailwee is overpriced, but sure isnt everything! they have a mini carousel and a few other little rides (free) buts its normally too cold for the kids to go on them (we normally go between the 20th and 23rd of December). If we are lucky we get to go in and see the birds of prey, let us in for free twice. Dont think they do the birds of prey show at winter only during the summer. They also have a little xmas market, not too keen on the mulled wine or mince pies. There was an irish talent show on earlier int eh year and the guy (elf) who led us to santa did really well in it, my boys kept on shining the torch in his face, hope he is there again this year, the best elf we ever had.

At the end of the day whatever suits as long as it doesnt break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

it costs €96 for 2 adults and 2 kids.
    Really? wow that seems a lot to me.33 per child? rathwood for 4 is 42, Fort Lucan is 50 for the same.
    I am glad it was a good experience for you, but I wouldn't

• Advertisement

lynski wrote: »
    Really? wow that seems a lot to me.33 per child? rathwood for 4 is 42, Fort Lucan is 50 for the same.
    I am glad it was a good experience for you, but I wouldn't

Something like that anyway,

Think its 28 per child and 20 per adult, (56+40=96) My husband always books it. Bunratty is slightly cheaper. (thats what you get for being in this neck of the woods, overpriced ****) we make the most of it though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If my little bundle arrives in time S/he will defo be whipped off to see Santa :D

Just for the photos and all that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

xzanti wrote: »
    If my little bundle arrives in time S/he will defo be whipped off to see Santa :D

Just for the photos and all that :p

I'm debating this one myself, am due Dec 19th and trying to figure if i should go early and spend some quality time with our 9 year old or go late with babs in tow? :confused:3

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I'm debating this one myself, am due Dec 19th and trying to figure if i should go early and spend some quality time with our 9 year old or go late with babs in tow? :confused:3

My fella was due 1st/3rd of january and we arranged with bunratty that there might be an extra one and they were fine with it. He was born the 29th of dec, i even had santa pressies wrapped in case he came early.

But i think if i was you i would spend some quality time with the 9 year old before baby comes, babs could be late or early so that might not go to plan either.

Babys never come on the due date (well most dont)so why not book santa for the 19th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Ailwee Caves is amazing. Going to Bunratty with work this year, can't wait. My 3yr old and I are already youtubing Christmas songs!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

im taking my 1 year old daughter, Bronte to west Clare railways. They have a grotto with Santa, and then we all go on an old fashioned steam train trip, then back to the grotto for a christmas movie and games. so excited! Santa is bringing In the Night Garden toys and maybe a little pram and doll.Teddy , clothes and books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

god i'm awful. I brought my dd to liffey valley to see santa, hadn't planned it but walked by and nobody was in so popped in got pic taken, girl got pic taking just in time as next second she cried. Got lovely teddy and pic for a €10. She's only 7 months so it was more for the pic then the experience. She will be going to few xmas parties in dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Brought my 23 month old to Charlestown Shopping Centre and there was no one in queue so said I'd pop in. €12.50 for gift and photo... asked what age she was, told them she was two, handed gift, when we got out we opened it (impatience!) and it was a teething ring... for a two year old :\

Advertisement