Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulgarian Wine sellers

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

anybody know of where you can get bulgarian wine in ireland? supposedly they are the 2nd largest exporter of wine in the world behind france.

I've been to bulgaria and some of the wines are just fantastic (and cheap (€5 for an 'expensive' bottle)- although i wouldn't expect them to be cheap over here)

One of the nicest was Tcherga red wine (Carpet Wine) -

"Tcherga is unique blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot & Rubin. As Tcherga, the typical Bulgarian craft made rug, gathers the most impressive and beautiful colors of Bulgaria, so this wine combines the most exquisite tastes and aromas of those three grape varieties from the Thracian Valley in Bulgaria. Dark, smooth, rich and complex with silky texture leading to a core of ripe wild berry and black cherry, complemented by smoky oak and chocolate flavors. Full bodied with soft and round tannins."

If anybody knows if this can be got in Ireland it would be great.
    Post edited by irish_goat on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DermotMW

Hmmm, I'd love to know where you got he 2nd biggest exporter after France stat as Bulgaria makes nowhere near as much wine as France.

There should still be a few Bulgarian wines available - try the bigger retailers e.g. supermarkets - but they went out of fashion in the mid-1990s after Jacob's Creek and friends invaded.

Dermot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DermotMW wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'd love to know where you got he 2nd biggest exporter after France stat as Bulgaria makes nowhere near as much wine as France.
    Not even top 10 according to table 36 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I spotted that statistic the other day but didnt want to say anything,
    I remember someone asking me for a bulgarian wine before.
    I had to go to Oz Clakes wine guide and write them out a list and the best I could do was tell them to google these with a pages from Ireland filter and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slystallone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement