Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got our Visa

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, With so many people leaving these days I'm hoping for some good advice. We have just got our Visa and we will hopefully be moving out to Oz in Jan. I'm looking for some advice on the best way of getting our belongings out there. We won't be bringing any furniture with us, only appliances, gadgets, clothes and bed linen etc. Would you recommend removals companies or is there a better way of getting stuff to Oz.
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I'd ditch the appliances and most other stuff to be honest..
    That €15 toaster will cost you more to post here etc etc
    Unless you have some kind of attachment to the stuff? It's only stuff..
    Maybe some bed linen, but not too much as it weighs a bit.

I sold almost everything to come here, ended up with 1 suitcase, 1 guitar case, 1 backpack, and posted 2 archive boxes of stuff by registered post before I left.

January is a good time to come, it'll be hot enough then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yeah either bring everything or just your clothes and a few bed clothes.

Be advised renting here is usually unfurnished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 chubbyhomer

Thanks for your replies. It's a family move, me and the wife and two kids so we'll have to bring a number of boxes. The odd toy, games consoles, I'm bringing the PC. The wife has a number of kitchen appliances as well. I think we'll be going down the excess baggage option. Any one got some ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Desal

Hey Chubby
    We used a international moving company and shipped toys, buggies, high chairs, TV, kitchen stuff etc. We moved approx 450 cuft for €3000 and it took about 10weeks to get out here and that was the cheapest quote. It was a hell of a lot cheaper that excess baggage ( you colud'nt move that stuff in excess baggage anyway) but the wait for the stuff was long.
    We just worked out the price of shipping vs buying it all again in Australia.
    Looking back, would'nt do it like that again, had 3 weeks in Ireland without our stuff and 7 over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rascalini

I just got my visa this morning :D

Sorry to hijack your tread chubby, but my question is along the same lines....I wanted to take over a bike, a guitar, a surf board and a pole. Would it be better to put them on the plane or have them shipped over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

rascalini wrote: »
    I just got my visa this morning :D

Sorry to hijack your tread chubby, but my question is along the same lines....I wanted to take over a bike, a guitar, a surf board and a pole. Would it be better to put them on the plane or have them shipped over?

Imagine getting all that in a falcon taxi. What the pole for?

Its one of these....theyre so bloody expensive!

http://www.x-pole.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

rascalini wrote: »
    Its one of these....theyre so bloody expensive!

http://www.x-pole.co.uk/

Oh I thought when you said you had a Pole you meant you had a Polish man servant to carry your surfboard and guitar.

Ok.... I am looking forward to seeing you on border security.

mmm...now that you say it...a man servant would be soooo handy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

Hi, With so many people leaving these days I'm hoping for some good advice. We have just got our Visa and we will hopefully be moving out to Oz in Jan. I'm looking for some advice on the best way of getting our belongings out there. We won't be bringing any furniture with us, only appliances, gadgets, clothes and bed linen etc. Would you recommend removals companies or is there a better way of getting stuff to Oz.
    Thanks for your help.
    hey can you help me:where is the best place to get a visa from for oz.i have a trade and want to go for a year to work and i also have a uncle who is a citizen over there who might sponsor me after the year is up if i decide to stay.if any1 can help cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

where is the best place to get a visa from for oz. i ... want to go for a year to work
    ask your local postman. he can tell you everything you need to know.**

**may be less accurate than browsing this forum and reading immi.gov.au

Advertisement