Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web hosting query

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm quite new to the whole idea of web development, but i've an idea for a website which i think would be pretty sweet. I was wonderin how i'd go about getting a website hosted and domain registered. There would be a lot of traffic to this site, as it will allow users to up/download content, so it would also need a huge amount of storage, i'm thinking 50tb-100tb for the first 2 years. How much would something like this cost to set up and run? (ball park figures)

Cheers,
    Xios

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

That's a lot of storage. You'd be better off ringing various hosting companies for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have you actually designed the application side of it?

The storage isn't the real issue. It's going to be writing a system that scales up to handle the volume you're talking about.

How many active users?

How many concurrent active users?

How much bandwidth?

How big is each file?

How many files?

Which technology is the system being coded in?

How are you going to store the data? ie. what kind of database are you planning on using?

What kind of content will users be able to upload?

How are you going to handle legal issues? ie. copyright content etc

How is it going to fund itself? If it's "free" you're going to have to make money from advertising ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Have you actually designed the application side of it?
    Nope

The storage isn't the real issue. It's going to be writing a system that scales up to handle the volume you're talking about.

How many active users?
    after 2 years, i'd expect 200,000 active users

How many concurrent active users?
    100,000 every 2 or 3 days, so 40,000 a day.

How much bandwidth?
    a lot

How big is each file?
    ranging from 1kb to 100mb, upwards of 1gb, depends completely on the user.

How many files?
    After 2 years, i'd say it'd be hitting the5 to 10 million mark, that's if the files are all stored from day 1

Which technology is the system being coded in?
    No idea

How are you going to store the data? ie. what kind of database are you planning on using?
    No idea

What kind of content will users be able to upload?
    Anything

How are you going to handle legal issues? ie. copyright content etc
    Adopt a model, such as youtubes.

How is it going to fund itself? If it's "free" you're going to have to make money from advertising ..
    Initial funding will be from venture/gov, after that, it will be through advertising. This site is designed to be run for students, similar to moodle, but much more user friendly and allows students to interact instead of just the lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm quite new to the whole idea of web development, but i've an idea for a website which i think would be pretty sweet. I was wonderin how i'd go about getting a website hosted and domain registered. There would be a lot of traffic to this site, as it will allow users to up/download content, so it would also need a huge amount of storage, i'm thinking 50tb-100tb for the first 2 years. How much would something like this cost to set up and run? (ball park figures)
    Read this book:
    Building Scalable Websites by Cal Henderson.
    O'Reilly ISBN: 978-0-596-10235-7

Then come back and ask questions.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement