Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice do I have to give the landlord when I have no lease?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Basically i moved into a house 2 months ago and unfortunately got stuck with some pretty inconsiderate noisy housemates. My bedroom is between both the kitchen and sitting room and im constantly being woken up every night. Two of the housemates just dont seem to sleep so its not unusual that id be woken up at any time up to 6am! I've told them countless times to be quiet but they just dont care : (
    Basically i want to move out asap. Just wondering what is the best way to go about it, and how much notice should i give my landlord as i have not signed a lease?
    Thank you : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

28 days, as you've been there less than 6 months. Put it in writing and send it by registered post if you think there's likely to be a disagreement.

If you don't have a lease, do you have a rent book or written contract? A deposit receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luckycharms!

i haven't signed anything at all since i moved here. Paid my deposit and that was it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Do you pay rent weekly, fortnightly or monthly? As far as I know, it depends on that. Weekly = one week's notice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hmm, I'm not 100% certain either way, and was taking the 28 days from this (link to PDF). It says that you may negotiate a shorter notice period with the landlord, but I think unless that happens it defaults back to the 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luckycharms!

28 days?? :( i was really hoping id be out of the house sooner than that. Im barely getting enough sleep during the week. Id say i got no more than 4 hours last night. Can't i just leave as i haven't signed anything to bind me to the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

28 days?? :( i was really hoping id be out of the house sooner than that. Im barely getting enough sleep during the week. Id say i got no more than 4 hours last night. Can't i just leave as i haven't signed anything to bind me to the house?

you can just leave. you cancel whatever payment method you use, put your stuff in a van/car, and drive away. quite simply he won't bother chasing you, its not worth his time or money. he'd also be on shaky ground trying to enforce a contract that doesn't exist.

give him as much notice as you can stand/afford - coz thats the nice thing to do, its not his fault that its not worked out - but don't take any crap, if he's being civilised then be civilised back, but if he gets sweaty over it just leave, take your stuff, and change your SIM card...

as Elliejo says, roughly base your notice period around the rental period - so if you pay weekly, you give a weeks notice, pay monthly and give a months notice. however, if your sleeplessness so acute that you might lose your job, or drive into a bridge because you're tired, then just go - civility and manners aren't worth being unemployed or dead over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

Don't give the correct notice (28 days) & you're basically guaranteed to lose your deposit. You'll also not get a reference which may make it harder to find another place.
    Be careful.

Advertisement