Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilled-out/escapey type cafes in Dublin

Options
  • 07-11-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for some nice, chilled out/hippy/relaxed types cafes in Dublin city centre. Some more places like Cafe Irie, Queen of Tarts, etc, etc. Any suggestions?

Having recently travelled around the UK, I've noticed and fell in love with so many of these sort of cafes in London/Manchester/Glasgow, etc, but they seem to be lacking here. Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Just somewhere leisurely, maybe a bit kooky, to spend a nice long lunch and cup of coffee.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

There's one on the northside of the Quays there just after capel street that does hookah and different types of teas I think. Sure someone will know since it's been discussed on here before.

What about the Twisted Pepper Cafe? Best coffee in the city supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah the Tea Garden is great, very chilled I often for half a hour or so just to chill out and unwind.

word of warning though most of seats / cushions are on the ground so you need to take your shoes off. I got stung the first time I went in, wearing kinda smelly socks after a long day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Cafe Moda in Rathmines is pretty nice..good selection of board games/ papers etc. Comfortable chairs and couches up the back.

Cake Cafe off Camden St does great beans on toast and sambos. Surprisingly the cakes are not as good as some other places in town!

The Lovin Spoon on Nth Frederick ST is also a nice spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Busy Feet, south william street..I think, near it anyway. Was there on a saturday night, they had a mellow band playing and we didn't leave until 11 (bit of a lock in:D), was nice and darkish, kinda a Parisian arty atmosphere. Sounds like what you're looking for..not really special in daytime though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's a scene that is lacking in Dublin, which is unfortunate. Reasonably priced cafes with nice music and comfy seats and a good all day menu and breakfast. Just doesn't really happen. Tonnes of them in London. The lack of a thriving restaurant/cafe scene in Dublin can only be down to the overheads this stupid country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's a scene that is lacking in Dublin

Are the people that posted above you on your ignore list?

@ OP... Lemon Jelly in the Italian quarter, comfy seats, reasonably priced and a good all day menu and breakfast.

Upstairs in Avoca do free coffee fill ups if you order food, order one between two, the portions are huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

joebucks wrote: »
    Cafe Moda in Rathmines is pretty nice..good selection of board games/ papers etc. Comfortable chairs and couches up the back.

Cake Cafe off Camden St does great beans on toast and sambos. Surprisingly the cakes are not as good as some other places in town!
    who goes out and pays for beans on toast?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Someone who didn't leave the Palace, Coppers, Flannerys, etc... till 7am or just sleep in that portable jacks for the night.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

In fairness, they are terrific beans on toast (think they put bacon in there too). Plus, you can order sardines on toast. Real nursery tea time fare rocks.

BraziliaNZ is right tho: Dublin is sorely in need of a few relaxed cafes. Even the Cake Cafe is a bit too posh and out of the way for nursing a single cup of tea as you lose yourself in a paperback.

Weirdly, Galway was ahead of the game back in the early 90s with Javas. The staff were notoriously flaky and pretty rude when you'd confront them with the fact that they'd messed up your order, but somehow the place staggers on to this day...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

John_Rambo wrote: »

@ OP... Lemon Jelly in the Italian quarter, comfy seats, reasonably priced and a good all day menu and breakfast.

oh god no, dont go near this place - rude staff and the filthiest toilets i have seen in long time

really really disgusting:eek:

irishbird wrote: »
    oh god no, dont go near this place

Oh god, they are two different places irishbird. Are your referring to my post at all?

Oh god, they are two different places irishbird. Are your referring to my post at all?

yes lemon jelly, was there last saturday

never again i tells you - never again

yes lemon jelly, was there last saturday

So was I! Took the folks for breakfast, staff were polite, jacks were spotless! :confused: What time were you there at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

In fairness, they are terrific beans on toast (think they put bacon in there too). Plus, you can order sardines on toast. Real nursery tea time fare rocks.

BraziliaNZ is right tho: Dublin is sorely in need of a few relaxed cafes. Even the Cake Cafe is a bit too posh and out of the way for nursing a single cup of tea as you lose yourself in a paperback.

Weirdly, Galway was ahead of the game back in the early 90s with Javas. The staff were notoriously flaky and pretty rude when you'd confront them with the fact that they'd messed up your order, but somehow the place staggers on to this day...
    do they have digestive biscuits with butter spread on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Its home-made beans on toast, not from a tin.

who goes to the effort of posting a comment on what people order in a cafe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's a scene that is lacking in Dublin, which is unfortunate. Reasonably priced cafes with nice music and comfy seats and a good all day menu and breakfast. Just doesn't really happen. Tonnes of them in London. The lack of a thriving restaurant/cafe scene in Dublin can only be down to the overheads this stupid country has.

The city center could definitely do with more of these types of places. I hate Starbucks, but in most countries they are very good workspaces (not as much in Ireland; the configuration is often weird).

Sentosa is a GREAT cafe in Ranelagh towards the bottom of the village, and they do decent breakfast and a good lunch, it's very bright, lots of couches, free wifi, let you stay for hours...AND they have a back garden that gets loads of sun in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So was I! Took the folks for breakfast, staff were polite, jacks were spotless! :confused: What time were you there at?
    I'm irishbird's boyfriend :)

We went for dinner in Cactus Jacks at about 6ish or so, and decided to have a coffee afterwards sitting outside with a smoke, so we went across to Lemonjelly.

It took us a good ten, fifteen minutes to get served, the another good while to get the coffee and tea that we ordered. The waiter actually stood chatting at another table for about five minutes before going back in and getting our order (waiters chatting to customers is fine, but not if they are the only waiter with other paying customers waiting to be served)

Then, we each used the bathroom.

The toilets were absolutely disgusting, filthy and soaking wet, I mean actual puddles on the floor, wet toilet roll all over the place, filthy footprints everywhere.

We won't be going back.

• Advertisement

Not good! They must let their standards drop as the day goes on. Were they apologetic when you complained?

LOL, Des remember we went to the other Lemon Jelly at meeting house square??

where the waiter stood talking on the phone for 10 mins and then threw menus at us, and told us to take a seat while he went back to rabbitting on. we only wanted tea and cake so didnt need the menu.

we then sat for another 5 mins listening to him, then we left.

Avoid all Lemon Jellys :rolleyes:

LOL, Des remember we went to the other Lemon Jelly at meeting house square??

Get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Thaedydal wrote: »

Tea Garden is lovely, really chilled out and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

George83 wrote: »

and pricey :eek:

And reeking of josticks

This isn't really helpful, but the Stone Wall Cafe was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

Thanks a million for all the help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

George83 wrote: »

And horribly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's not your average cup of tea but I have found the chance to chill out there alone or in good company and the Jasmine tea to be well worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement