Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data only SIM plan ?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have a iPhone 3GS which I no longer want to use as a phone. I only want to use 3G data for internet radio streaming (while in my car) and the odd bit of online app usage.

What is the most cost efficient way to do this ? I'm guessing I need a broadband/3G-only SIM from one of the mobile providers. My data usage is less than 1GB a month.

I've looked at the O2, Vodafone, Three and Meteor sites. My head is melting with the various options. I don't think I can find a SIM (pre-pay or bill-pay) for less than 20e a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Meteor mbb sim, €16.99 per month, 5gb allowance. It should work in an iPhone as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Thanks. That seems to be a micro-sim. I wonder if it's possible to get a standard SIM from them for that plan ? I'll probably have to go into one of their stores or call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

I have a iPhone 3GS which I no longer want to use as a phone. I only want to use 3G data for internet radio streaming (while in my car) and the odd bit of online app usage.

What is the most cost efficient way to do this ? I'm guessing I need a broadband/3G-only SIM from one of the mobile providers. My data usage is less than 1GB a month.

I've looked at the O2, Vodafone, Three and Meteor sites. My head is melting with the various options. I don't think I can find a SIM (pre-pay or bill-pay) for less than 20e a month.

3 pay sim and buy 500 MB for 4.99 / month. Presumably when you run out, you just buy another add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Broadband light sin only from 3 €9.99 per month for 1GB. 30 day rolling plan

Thanks. That looks like the best deal available.

Do any of you know if I can simply take the SIM from 3 and put it into my (unlocked) iPhone ? Or do I need to read up on settings I'll need to enable on the iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Thanks. That looks like the best deal available.

Do any of you know if I can simply take the SIM from 3 and put it into my (unlocked) iPhone ? Or do I need to read up on settings I'll need to enable on the iPhone?

The 9.99 / 1 GB deal is contract

With my suggestion, you would get out for less on prepay and sometimes get free internet aftter topping up. Plus if coverage is not satisfactory, you're not tied into a long contract

After inserting 3 sim, you will need to enter 3 settings or update carrier settings

The 3 plan is a 30 day rolling contract as stated in my post. There is no minimum term so the op can cancel when ever they wish.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and pointers.

It looks like the SIM-only with the 4.99/month 500MB add-on won't work for me because I would need to top up by €20 a month to keep the SIM active (at least that's what the person at Three said). I wouldn't use this SIM for anything else except data.

I'm likely to use more than 500MB a month anyhow so I'll probably go for the 3 Broadband Light which will give me 1GB a month for 9.99 which is cheaper than the existing data add-on I have with O2.

Thanks again for the help :)

I took a closer look at the T&C for the SIM-only with internet add-on and it appears to require me to top-up by €20
    Unlimited internet subject to fair usage limit of 250 MB per 30 day period and subject to €5 internet add-on being purchased out of €20 top up. Promotion ends 03/11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and pointers.

It looks like the SIM-only with the 4.99/month 500MB add-on won't work for me because I would need to top up by €20 a month to keep the SIM active (at least that's what the person at Three said). I wouldn't use this SIM for anything else except data.

I'm likely to use more than 500MB a month anyhow so I'll probably go for the 3 Broadband Light which will give me 1GB a month for 9.99 which is cheaper than the existing data add-on I have with O2.

Thanks again for the help :)

I took a closer look at the T&C for the SIM-only with internet add-on and it appears to require me to top-up by €20
    I have been using the €5 per month option (prepay) in an old 3G I have without any problems. I wasn't aware of any changes being made by 3?

You don't need to top up by €20 per month to keep the sim active. You.lt top up by €10 which will last you 2 months if you buy the €4.99 add on.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm probably mis-reading the T&C and never having used a pre-pay SIM in the past (I've always had a straightforward contract) I'm probably overcomplicating it.

I'll drop into a 3 store tomorrow and get a SIM and try the 4.99/month option to see how that goes. It would be great if it worked as I'm paying 15/month now with O2 for a data add-on.

3 Store in Dundrum Shopping Center was very helpful.

for anyone reading this in the future:

The 1GB broadband SIM package will not work on iPhone/phone - only on broadband dongle.

The PAYG sim was free when I bought 20e credit. Once the iPhone unlocked in iTunes I was able to use some of the credit to buy 500MB data which I either use or it will expire in a month. I can then buy additional 500MB add-ons with my credit as I need to.

Bonus is that I can use this in the UK with no roaming charges - and some other EU countries. Unfortunately not France where I'll be next week but the UK is pretty useful to have.

thanks for the pointers - this is already saving me on the old O2 plan I had and I can continue to use the iPhone apps I can't do without on the road.

Advertisement