Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vintage red wine

Options
  • 07-11-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Does red wine ever go off? I've just found 250ml of the stuff, which I realise now I opened about 3 weeks ago. Just had a sniff and it's pretty vinegary...
    Is it too stale to throw into a stew? Or is it fit only for throwing down the sink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Does red wine ever go off? I've just found 250ml of the stuff, which I realise now I opened about 3 weeks ago. Just had a sniff and it's pretty vinegary...
    Is it too stale to throw into a stew? Or is it fit only for throwing down the sink?

Yes it oxidises if exposed to air so you now have some red wine vinegar there! I would dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yes it oxidises if exposed to air so you now have some red wine vinegar there! I would dump it.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Taste it!
    If it tastes ok use it, if not dump it.
    I keep wine, corked, for weeks if not months and use it in stews.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3 weeks :eek:

I find red wine only lasts a day, maybe 2 once opened. That great invention, the vacuvin, keeps it alright for about a week

vacuvin.jpg

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed by this thread. I was expecting great stories of consuming very old wine. My parents once drank 800 year old wine found during the excavation of the ruins of an old castle. It was drinkable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

unkel wrote: »

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed by this thread. I was expecting great stories of consuming very old wine. My parents once drank 800 year old wine found during the excavation of the ruins of an old castle. It was drinkable :)

WOW! They were brave.... wonder should have tried to sell it to an auction house

We have about 4/5 bottles of 80-100 year old french grand cru wine, don't think I could bring myself to open it. It would want to be a mighty fine occasion and it might also be very old vinegar.
    Strange though, some of my friends tried to coax me to open them, but I could not do it. It would be like having a priceless cigar, sure you can smoke it but then what??

My version of catch 22

Besides I have enough Mouton Cadet to keep me occupied :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

I find red wine only lasts a day, maybe 2 once opened. That great invention, the vacuvin, keeps it alright for about a week

I'm not talking about drinking it, just putting it in stew/sauce.
    I always taste it first, though to make sure it's not vinegar or solventy tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I'm not talking about drinking it, just putting it in stew/sauce.
    I always taste it first, though to make sure it's not vinegar or solventy tasting.

A good general principle is never to cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink.

nompere wrote: »
    A good general principle is never to cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink.

I wouldn't necessarily drink a glass of beef stock but I would put it in a stew.
    I taste it and if it doesn't taste 'off' then I use it for stew. No complaints yet!;)

That notion of only cook with what you'd drink is rather old fashioned and not practised by most chefs who buy pre seasoned cooking wine (it doesn't attract alcohol duty as it is classed as a sauce). And I'm talking about lots of good chefs.

A bottle of reasonably good wine that has been open for a few weeks still tastes better than a bottle of real plonk freshly opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

It can be used in cooking and marinades and salad dressings. The better the wine to start with the better in vinegar. You can also freeze the odds and ends of a bottle of wine or unfinished glass. Pop it into a tupperware or plastic bag and then in the freezer, you can then use it later when making sauces and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'd give it a taste, and if it's vinegary, but not unpleasant, I'd make a Beef Stifado with it, since that calls for the inclusion of red wine vinegar (and is pretty wonderful!).

I must say that the concept of 'leftover wine' is a new one to me ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement