Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Times/Independent 20 Cent price rise,cartel?.

Options
  • 07-11-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Two weeks ago I handed my local Pakistani retailer a 5Euro note for the two papers and walked away. He called me back asking me for another 20 Cent. I knew that that Indo was certain to soon follow suit. Today it did.

I assume there is some form of cartel between newspapers that agree mutual price rises? .

Have the price of other newspapers also risen?.

Probably to compensate for falling sales due to on-line media?.

Also why is the Evening Herald E1.20 in Dublin and E1.00 in the rest of the nation?. A seller in Dublin said that transportation costs were higher in Dublin, if anything I would have assumed the opposite to be the case?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Is there a point in saying the retailer was Pakistani? - Would it better if it was an Irish person calling you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I regard such a comment as short-sighted and ridiculous. I was just setting the scene. Any fair minded person would realise that. No need to be paranoid, looking for racism when there is none.

Freiheit wrote: »
    That is irrelavant, I was just setting the scene. No need to be paranoid, looking for racism when there is none.

so why include it?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Probably to compensate for falling sales due to on-line media?.

Partly.
    Much or most of the revenue comes from advertising. Don't you remember when newspapers had property or holiday supplements. They pulled in huge money.

That's mostly gone now, newspapers aren't pulling in what they used to the owners have decided to raise the price.

Why not include it? What about "Setting the scene" do you not understand?.

Anyway way off topic.

• Advertisement

Why not include it? What about "Setting the scene" do you not understand?.

Anyway way off topic.

setting the scene?????

Would it be a different scene if it was a Polish girl, or an Irish granny?

No! -there was no reason to put the race of the person in the OP as it did not matter, does not matter and makes not an iota of difference to the "scene".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

91011 wrote: »
    setting the scene?????

No! -there was no reason to put the race of the person in the OP as it did not matter, does not matter and makes not an iota of difference to the "scene".

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

setting the scene?????

Well I am very fond of the Polish girls so I'd be happy for him to mention that.

I note the daily is up by 10 cent today....again I can only assume to compensate for falling sales...hardly increased production costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dont forget the amount of money they are wasting printing and giving away the METRO newspaper every morning.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UngratefulWhelp

setting the scene?????

Jesus, there are some serious nitpickers around here.

It's a detail, nothing more. As he said, it did set the scene and made it that tiny bit more informative. Had the chap been Tim the Kerryman, he probably would have said 'Tim from Tralee'.

Was it germane? No. But if every potential factoid that someone could possibly find offensive was excised from this board, it'd make for extremely dull reading.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It can't be called a cartel when they're two different products produced by two separate companies. It is, in fact, tactical pricing because the Indo obviously wants to be seen as sitting in the same space as the Sunday Times rather than as a cheaper alternative.

I first came across this tactic many years ago in the pub trade, my father owned a pub and we subscribed to one of the trade magazines. On one occasion Harp which was then the dominant lager increased their price by let's say 5p a pint. A few weeks later Heineken which was then relatively new in the Irish market put their price up by 5p a pint and in the trade magazine they came straight out and said that the only reason for the price rise was because they wanted to be seen to be in the same space as Harp and not a cheap lager like Tennants, hence the price rise. The Indo in this case were probably following the same logic.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

setting the scene?????

Relax Sanjay

Advertisement