Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied maths

• 07-11-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

A question that seems to come up a bit and could someone answer it please as it does give an adequate answer in the book.

'State the laws governing oblique collisons'

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I didnt do applied maths but I found this website that might help u..

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

felic wrote: »
    I didnt do applied maths but I found this website that might help u..

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2592

Thanks, I dont think thats adequate though!

But thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't think questions of that nature would come up on the HL Paper. OL possibly, but it's unusual to get asked theory on the HL paper, especially in the Collisions question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Look up the marking scheme for the year it was asked, it should say there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jomama

the two laws that govern oblique collisions are:
    NEL: Newton's experimental Law which states that
    -e = (difference of final vels)/(difference of inital vels)
    where e is the coeff of restitution between the 2 bodies in question

PCM: Principal of Cons of Mom which states that
    in the absence of an unbalanced external force, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 MathsNerd31

Also, for oblique collisions, NEL only applies to the i-velocities. The j-velocities remain unchanged. This assumes that you take the i-axis to be along the line joining the two centres at impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jomama

In fact, NEL applies to both components of the velocity, but since the j-components are unchanged they cancel eachother out. So, for simplicity, I would still use my definitions, and you are covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Nvm...

Advertisement