Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apache Air Assault

Options
  • 07-11-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭

Anyone played the demo ? New game from Activision. Ive played the few missions in the demo and while its really weird flying a helicopter i kind of like it.

think the full game could get annoying though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Played it for 5 min then deleted ..it's completely rubbish IMO.
    It's just an Arcade shooter..Horrible controls and stupid storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is out Friday and should be cheap enough too its £30 on amazon, ive played hours of the demo and really like it, took me ages to get into it properly as its so difficult to fly the chopper when using the realistic mode rather but when you do its so rewarding. Its basically a new Desert Storm

Wont be for everyone but im looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Played it for 5 min then deleted ..it's completely rubbish IMO.
    It's just an Arcade shooter..Horrible controls and stupid storylines.

Gotta go along with this. It's caught in the middle ground between trying to be a sim and arcade game and misses both, controlling terribly and feeling like your absolutely invincible.

Gotta go along with this. It's caught in the middle ground between trying to be a sim and arcade game and misses both, controlling terribly and feeling like your absolutely invincible.

It is an arcade game in the training mode but a Sim in the realistic mode. Makes all the difference to the game.

The first mission is a bit silly as its just an attack on the base but the second mission is brilliant the Black Hawk down section where you have to protect your fellow pilots from the swarming locals while dodging RPG's was very enjoyable. Add the 2 player co-op where you fly and the co pilot controls the guns is even better. The full game will have 4 player online co-op too.

The game wont be for everyone it suits me as i prefer a slower more realistic game that i can sit back and think about rather than a rush in a blow everything apart kind of game. Kind of why i prefer MOH over COD.

The game is getting some pretty solid scores from people who have played it
    IGN 7.5/10
    Gamezone 7/10
    On our own Bone-idle of course 85%

It really is worth looking into if you are looking for a decent Apache flight Sim. It also brought back so many memories of the Desert strike series. The story isn't up to much but the missions are very good. Its more the control system that is brilliant.

Id say it took me around 3 or 4 hours to get to grips with the controls and another 2 to master them, its weird trying to understand that a helicopter cant turn left or right using the right stick once its travelling forward at speed, but it makes sense once you think about it. Once you learn to fly it correctly you can do some really cool stuff.

• Advertisement

It is an arcade game in the training mode but a Sim in the realistic mode. Makes all the difference to the game.

A Sim ? unlimited Rockets taking on about 300 tanks ?
    Seriously matey...it you want a Sim get Black Shark on the PC, or even Snoopy Dogfighter it's a million times better and even more realistic :D

A Sim ? unlimited Rockets taking on about 300 tanks ?
    Seriously matey...it you want a Sim get Black Shark on the PC, or even Snoopy Dogfighter it's a million times better and even more realistic :D

At no stage in the game do you fight 300 tanks or anything even close :rolleyes:

At no stage in the game do you fight 300 tanks or anything even close :rolleyes:

The demo mission ! There's tonnes of them (not to mention the Tanks amazing ability to climb up mountains :rolleyes: )

The mission you are talking about is the one where your base is under attack, its attacked by 3 waves, each wave contains around 3 or 4 tanks 3 or 4 APC's and around 6 or 7 pick up trucks with guys in the back.

The mountains you talk of are small hills and the tanks that climb those mountains are actually infantry units that have set up mortar encampments.

I know it may seem unrealistic that a man would be able to walk up a small hill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Played the demo today, it's alright i guess. I don't like the view though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw this in the shops alright, was tempted, flight sims are a painfully under represented genre on the next gen consoles.
    Might await a preowned copy though...

The mission you are talking about is the one where your base is under attack, its attacked by 3 waves, each wave contains around 3 or 4 tanks 3 or 4 APC's and around 6 or 7 pick up trucks with guys in the back.

The mountains you talk of are small hills and the tanks that climb those mountains are actually infantry units that have set up mortar encampments.

I know it may seem unrealistic that a man would be able to walk up a small hill

We'll agree to disagree I think it's complete pants and you seem to be playing a completely different game to the one I played lol. I witnessed two Tank drive vertically up a mountain at an angle of about 80 degrees..Some kind of supertanks I guess :D

It's developed by the same guys that butchered il2 and made Wings of Prey so I guess if you thought that was a good game you'll enjoy this one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I actually quite enjoyed it. Was expecting muck but it's good fun. I like the fact that it's not a totally over the top arcade shooter nor a full blown sim.

My problem with simulators is that they can be so obsessively anal about the shape of a cockpit knob that they suck all the fun out of actually flying. In addition they often have so many controls to make them awful for easy pick up and play.

In contrast arcade shooters have rubbish unrealistic controls that ignore the basics of pitch roll and yaw.

This game in contrast has good rudimentary controls, perhaps not to everyone's taste, and it's pretty easy to drop a volley of rockets on a convey of vehicles. Yes you feel invincible but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After the weaksauce helis in BF:BC2 it's quite nice.

Graphically it isn't bad either. The gun cam view looks nicely authentic, like the AC130 in COD4. I'll probably pick it up on the PC for the multiplayer.

Advertisement