Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to keep up with my new job

Options
  • 07-11-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i recently got a new job first time in a retail clothes store.

in the interview i said i was able to work thursday evening, all friday all saturday and most of sunday, which i was! on paper it was possible for me to do this but in reality i think its going to be too much to handle

i go to college (first year) and i finish on a thursday evening so as soon as my last lecture is over i have to race home and start straight from 5 till 9 at night

then im wrecked friday morning and i have to work all day friday and the same saturday
    im ****ed sunday morning and i then have to work all sunday evening and get back to college sunday night for early monday morning

now i spend more time working than i do living. all my weekend is taken up by work and sleep. ive no chance to do any study thursday-sunday.

i wont be able to do anything in college because im too tried. i wont be able to go out or even just hang around with friends because ill have to much study during the week. and i cant do anthing the weekend either. so its gona be ****

plus ive 100 other problems going for me at the the moment personally too.

so what can i do? i wouldnt mind just working saturday and sunday (and maybe some of friday) but how can i ask for less work after on 1 week on the job?

and she said since thursdays and fridays are the most busy, its most important that i be there for those evenings..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You've been at it for 1 week, give it a chance. If you can't do the job you said you could do, then you're probably going to have to leave. You could ask them to reduce your hours, but you can't force any particular outcome here.

To be fair, two evenings and two full days is not that much. When I was at college I worked 5 evenings, from 6 to midnight, or after, and and all weekend, as much as I could really so as to have money. If you can't manage two days and two evenings, then you may as well give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Probably not what you want to hear but you should keep at it, it's early days and you will need time to build up the mental strength to perform even when exhausted...

An interesting angle is imagine now you go home and a newborn kid screams all night every night and still you have to go to work/college no matter how exhausted you are... Real life isn't a walk in the park

Stick it out, in the end you'll be glad and have the few €€€ in your pocket..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Again, I have to agree with other posters here.

I did 2 evenings sometimes 3 if required and a full weekend when i was in college and it was fine. Got money in my pocket. Enjoyed the job and had the laugh with the staff.

Incidently managed to fit in alot of partying too.. Maybe you need to address nutrional needs if you feeling a bit run down.

Its only your first week also... Give it more time. not working is worse. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

welcome to reality OP.

When i was in college I was working 5 - 9 monday to friday in one job and then sat / sun 9 - 6 in another job to make ends meet.

get used to it. your a grown up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I just left my job, 27 hours through 3 and a bit years of college, 3 weekdays of 4 hours and full on weekends. It made all-nighters difficult, it meant I had very little time to read books for tutorials, it was difficult to finish a lecture and run to work, but it was well worth it, I made on average €300 a week and had a social life. Nothing beats a great payday while everyone else is moaning that they have €20 to last the week. You get well used to the tiredness and it's possible to slot college work in on the days you're off or before work, also on weekends where you know you've far too much college work to do you could call in sick (I never did this, others did though before projects etc.) or request time off for that or for exams. Most employers understand WHY you are part-time and should be able to accommodate that. It's a lot better than seeing 'insufficent funds', and it's possible to have a great laugh and brilliant nights out when you're working with people around the same age. If by any chance you work in the new New Look, I'd advise you that it will calm down in a week or so..then back for christmas, then die in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You just need to knuckle down and build up your stamina - lots of people do it or have done it. I know one person who goes to college 9 - 2pm each day and a factory job from 4 - 2am Mon Thur, that is tough. You just need to get used to it - imagine all the cash you will have as a student, I think you are very lucky to be fair.

• Well, personally I think college is for studying. That's why you're there. Nothing at all wrong with having a job, but I think working that many hours means you could quite easily burn yourself out and/or your grades could suffer. I don't know what you're studying, but I had quite a bit of homework and reading to do and I used my weekends and evenings for that. I highly doubt I'd have ever made it through college working those hours, and anyone I know who did work those kind of hours came out with a 2:2 or worse. I think people are being quite harsh here. College is not really a walk in the park itself, and I just don't think working more hours than you study is a good idea if you're not actually a part-time student.

15 hours work a week would be my absolute maximum - like you, I have a lot of other stuff going on and my health would suffer greatly if I tried to do more. You need your relaxation time and social life - I'm not sure when exactly the people telling you you'll have money for your social life think you're going to go out, if you work Thursday Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings and have to be up the next day. Besides, having an extra few hundred euro a week to spend on clothes and going out would absolutely not be worth giving up all my free time for. Even if it were the only way I could afford to go to college, I'd think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭UMMMM

I would think everyone is different but I would say stick it out! But its very slow out there in retail at the moment so if you can't hack it now you never will!

When I was in college I never worked less thn 25 hours a week and I got a 2:1 and always submitted all coursework. I also went out alot my advice would be relax a little and college nobody cares if you miss a few lectures. Its the easiest you'll ever have it if you can't cope now you will have severe difficulties in the big bad world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Stick it out, after 2 weeks you'll build up your stamina and it'll be not a bother - You'll be much happier with a job and money than if you just stayed in all the time. It might get tough around exam time but you can book time off.

Advertisement