Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Shop Warrenty question

Options
  • 07-11-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Ok so I bought a Xbox around a year ago from Gamestop which now refuses to read any disks in it. Can I bring it back to them to get a replacement or do I have to send it off to Microsoft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your contract is with the retailer - so I would start with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As said your contract is with the shop. Expect to get the "out of warranty so no can do" excuse or "its a common fault" excuse but unless the defect is due to misuse they remain responsible for selling a dodgy console.

Don't assume you'll get a replacement either, you could be offered a repair or refund instead. You are free to decline but should you refuse a reasonable offer it could go against you if you later choose to go the Small Claims Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

After a year, a repair is the reasonable solution. I wouldn't expect Gamestop to offer that if it's gone beyond 12 months though. They're not known for knowledge of statutory rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Check the support section of the xbox website, to see if it is a common problem that Microsoft will replace the console, ala the red ring of death problem in older series 360's.

If you can't find any info, it is worth a shot to give xbox support a call.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

call xbox - their support centre is in swords - i am pretty sure there is a 3 year warrenty.

but give them a call and they will be able to tell you over the phone if it is in warrenty and they will organise to pick it up and repair it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Derolicte

The Xbox warranty is two years as standard in Ireland. It's only three years if you get the dreaded 3 red lights I think. If your console is over a year old, you'd probably be better off ringing Microsoft and requesting a repair with them directly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't believe the advice to contact MS in the first instance, you purchased from GS not MS, your contract is with GS, they should be your first port of call.
    If you choose (after consulting with GS) to go repair with MS I'd send a registered letter to GS informing them you reserve your statutory rights if fault returns/persists thereby protecting your future options.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Derolicte wrote: »
    The Xbox warranty is two years as standard in Ireland.

Have you a linky??

Microsoft informed me tonight it's only one year, my xbox elite has gone belly up after a year and 6mts. There's no video signal from any input in it just audio and they want 90 euro for the repair.
    Waiting on a call from them tomorrow but they were quite adamant i would have to pay for the repair.
    What's the next step if no joy tomorrow, small claims court with microsoft?

Yeah mate, here's info on Xbox 360 warranty in Europe from the Microsoft Support site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2242790/en-us

Thanks for the link, must call back during the day when the irish lads are working, think where ever I was through didn't have their facts straight even the manager. Must have thought I was in the UK or somewhere.

Still a bit of a stones, how long does it take them to get it back from repair, will I have it back for xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Have you a linky??

Microsoft informed me tonight it's only one year, my xbox elite has gone belly up after a year and 6mts. There's no video signal from any input in it just audio and they want 90 euro for the repair.
    Waiting on a call from them tomorrow but they were quite adamant i would have to pay for the repair.
    What's the next step if no joy tomorrow, small claims court with microsoft?

Presume the clowns told ya how to reset video and all that just to make sure!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911059 and http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/get-started/console/audio-video.aspx are decent links if they didnt!

Anyone I know who got repairs was told to expect a turnaround time of up to about 2 to 3 weeks from when the console's collected by the courier from your address.

Sometimes it could even be less than the 2 weeks. Although, with the cack weather here I wouldn't count on that unfortunately at the moment! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

MS repair also comes with a Live Sub (can't remember for how long but at least a month) so it benefits in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and if MS offer to repair, they will come and pick it up, repair and drop it back to you FOC. Much easier than the shop and probably a lot quicker. unless shop is next door

There really doing my head in, I was talking to them again Today.

basically they said my xbox elite was bought in April 2008,

I bought it from smyths toys in may/june 2009, I even called and paid microsoft for a transfer cable in January 2010 for it.

There saying my warranty was out in April 2009 even though I hadn't even bought it at that stage.

I can not find the receipt and they will not repair it under warranty, what can I do, seems to be my word against what the computer says.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

How did you pay for it? You're going to need to find some sort of proof of purchase to confirm the purchase date

I've an awful feeling I paid in cash. I might contact the store and see will they send me a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I had the exact same problem with my X-Box 2 weeks ago, so I just went to the Microsoft website and entered my serial number into their form and went through their trouble shooting questions and after about 10 minutes the conclusion was to send it back to them and they then sent me the courier form. It took exactly 2 weeks and they sent me an replacement console from Germany with an extra 1 month live sub.

Can't really complain with that service and a lot less hassle than brining it to a shop where I'm sure I would of got the run-around. For a lot of electronic goods the manufacturer should be the first port of call then the shop.

Advertisement