Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea KO 4:00pm SS1

• 07-11-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Rumoured Liverpool team,

Renia Carragher Soto Skyrtel Konchesky Johnson Lucas Meireles Maxi Gerrard Torres.

Is Roy going for the win? :eek:

Haven't seen a Chelsea team yet but from reports Lampard is still out but Malouda returns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Johnson isn't in the squad today apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Chelsea will be hot favourites but i'm going for 1-1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

If that is a team, its probably 3 at the back with Johnson and Konchesky as wing backs.

But then i'm awfully pessimistic these days, when it comes to anything Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm quite happy with that team.

My biggest worry would be Carra getting skinned at right back by Malouda, but with Johnson ahead of him providing support we have a decent mix of pace and power against him.

I still very much worry about Drogba against Soto and Skrtel though. If we could combine those 2 into one player, they'd have the attributes to deal with him, but as it is, for power and strength in the air, i'd fancy drogba over skrtel every time, and on the ground it has to be drogba over Soto, so for whichever attack looks like its coming, if he pushes himself closer to the one he can beat under those circumstances, I think he'll have chances...

<edit>
    Lots of conflicting reports it seems. If its just Carra at right back without adequate protection in front of him to help with Malouda, I think Malouda will destroy him time and time again.

Reina, Konchesky, Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Maxi, Kuyt, Meireles, Torres.

Subs: Hansen, Wilson, Spearing, Poulsen, Shelvey, Ngog, Jovanovic.

Kelly?? :eek: Baptism of fire FTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Big questions are how Kelly copes against Malouda if he plays, and whether Roy plays Meireles as a CM or on the wing, or indeed behind the striker.

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Reina, Konchesky, Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Maxi, Kuyt, Meireles, Torres.

Is that really the bench?! Spearing, Poulsen and Shelvey!? FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Yep

~Rebel~ wrote: »

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kuyt-returns-listen-live-1

Yeah very surprised as well.

Johnson and Kyriagkos must've picked up injuries, I can't see any other reason for not having them on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cant see pool winning this. Im hoping for a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Deary me, look at the hack of that bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

who is this young Kelly then? I haven't heard much of him thrown in the mix.

For the Chelsea team, I'll go with the prediction of:
    Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Malouda, Anelka, Drogba.
    I'm not sure if the team has been announced yet or not, possible changes include Yuri or Kalou in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

super-rush wrote: »
    Rumoured Liverpool team,

Renia Carragher Soto Skyrtel Konchesky Johnson Lucas Meireles Maxi Gerrard Torres.

Is Roy going for the win? :eek:

Haven't seen a Chelsea team yet but from reports Lampard is still out but Malouda returns.

Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Soto
    Konchesky
    Johnson
    Lucas
    Meireles
    Maxi-
    Gerrard

Torres

or

Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Soto
    Konchesky
    Lucas
    Meireles
    Johnson
    Gerrard
    Maxi
    Torres

or even some variation of playing five at the back with wingbacks (5-4-1, 5-2-3, 5-2-2-1)

Reina

Carragher
    Skrtel
    Soto
    Johnson
    Konchesky
    Lucas
    Meireles

Gerrard
    Torres
    Maxi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Both wrong Kess.

Well done.;)

And just spotted a different line up lol

The first team I dont mind actually, I'd rather Kelly over Carra against Malouda tbh. Its a risk, but for me Carra getting burned is closer to a certainty. At the back however, I dont see anyone who I would be confident of beating Drogba in the air though.

I'm happy with the formation and midfield selection too.

That bench is a bit of a joke though. I cannot think of any circumstances whereby it is useful to have Spearing on there. 6cm's between first team and bench - is that really necessary? Pacheco? Johnson? even Babel? No? ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I thought Malouda was out?

Great to see kelly start but I'm worried about what Drogba will do to Carra and Skrtel!

papagormo wrote: »
    who is this young Kelly then? I haven't heard much of him thrown in the mix.

For the Chelsea team, I'll go with the prediction of:
    Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Malouda, Anelka, Drogba.
    I'm not sure if the team has been announced yet or not, possible changes include Yuri or Kalou in there somewhere.

Kelly is a young defender who can play in either full back slot or at cb. His final position will prob end up at CB when he gets a little older, but right now he is already probably a better pure defender than Johnson ever will be. Have no worries about him playing at RB today. Has not had a lot of first team appearances as of yet, think he has about ten first team games to his name to date, but don't expect him to look overawed or nervous.

Big, strong with decent pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Malouda is recovered and should feature.
    Lampard is still out.
    Boswinga and Essien are doubtful

Drogba on the bench!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Come on the Pool !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Kess73 wrote: »
    Kelly is a young defender who can play in either full back slot or at cb. His final position will prob end up at CB when he gets a little older, but right now he is already probably a better pure defender than Johnson ever will be. Have no worries about him playing at RB today. Has not had a lot of first team appearances as of yet, think he has about ten first team games to his name to date, but don't expect him to look overawed or nervous.

Big, strong with decent pace.

I actually think he's very quick. First time in a long time we've had a defender with real pace.

Just to get all the 'pool fans in the mood, back to a time when we really cared about the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Essien and Drogba not starting for Chelsea.

4-2-3-1 looks most likely then.

Three midfielders on the bench again today? Think I would have had at least one of either Pacheco, Eccleston or Babel there, given that Babel has trained all week and Pacheco has to be fresh since he has not gotten a look in since the Northampton game in September.

Chelsea

Cech Ivanovic Alex Terry Cole Ramires Mikel Zhirkov Kalou Anelka Malouda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Such a different looking Chelsea team, no Carvalho, Lampard, Drogba is weird :)

I actually think he's very quick. First time in a long time we've had a defender with real pace.

Oh I do think he is quick. I think he will be able to match anyone that Chelsea can put on their left side for pace and beat any of their left siders in terms of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    Essien and Drogba not starting for Chelsea.

Now that is good news. A fit and eager Essien would be the Chelsea player I would least like to see against Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I can't see anything other than a chelsea win here maybe 2 or 3 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Oh I do think he is quick. I think he will be able to match anyone that Chelsea can put on their left side for pace and beat any of their left siders in terms of strength.

I like you see him as a potential successor to Carragher. Such a bonus to have a pacey centre half. I can't remember the last time we had one.

Having seen that Chelsea line up, their there for the taken. Its probably the weakest Chelsea side to face us in the past few years. However, the same can be said about ourselves. If Liverpool turn up to play, it could make for a good game.

Who am i kidding, we'll get raped :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good feeling in my gut that the 'Pool can with this, Chelsea without Lampard, Essien and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have a funny feeling that Liverpool are going to get something from this . . Im going for 1-1 . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

drogba on the bench and no essien. there cud well be something in this for liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Decent starting 11 for 'Pool.

Reina
    Kelly--Carra--Skrtel---Konch
    Meireles--Lucas
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Maxi
    Torres

Kuyt and Maxi can switch wings, and hopefully Meireles is given a bit of freedom to get forward.

The right hand side is a bit slow though, could be worrying with Cole & Malouda...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Come on you scouse gentlemen :pac:

Liverpool have been slowly improving lately, a win against Chelsea could really springboard the club.

Come on lads, do Utd a favour today!

I like you see him as a potential successor to Carragher. Such a bonus to have a pacey centre half. I can't remember the last time we had one.

I can think of quick centre backs that we had had in the last 10 to 15 years, like Babb, but have to go back further than that to name our centre backs that were both quick and good :D

Mind you Agger has a bit of pace about him that gets underestimated a lot, not blistering pace but quick all the same.

Of course one of our best CB partnerships of the last 15 to 20 years, Henchoz and Hyypia, was hardly blessed with pace.

The right hand side is a bit slow though, could be worrying with Cole & Malouda...

What?

Surely its a lot faster than what we've had in the last few games with Maxi and Carra.

• Advertisement

Having seen that Chelsea line up, their there for the taken. Its probably the weakest Chelsea side to face us in the past few years. However, the same can be said about ourselves. If Liverpool turn up to play, it could make for a good game.

Who am i kidding, we'll get raped :pac:

I don't think that the Chelsea line up is a weak one at all, but I am glad not to see Essien and Drogba starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I don't think that the Chelsea line up is a weak one at all, but I am glad not to see Essien and Drogba starting.

essien on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Happy with that line-up, Drogba and Essien deserve a rest, be nice and fresh for Fulham on Wednesday.

Decent starting 11 for 'Pool.

Reina
    Kelly--Carra--Skrtel---Konch
    Meireles--Lucas
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Maxi
    Torres

Kuyt and Maxi can switch wings, and hopefully Meireles is given a bit of freedom to get forward.

Kuyt may not be a speedster but he is hardly slow, and Kelly is a fair bit quicker than Kuyt. One thing that we do have down the right today is plenty of stamina and strength, with both right sided players being damn hard workers.

I would be a bit more concerned with Maxi not tracking back enough to cover Konchecky than I would be with anything on our right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

essien on the bench?

No, toe injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see anything but a big Chelsea win here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

What?

Surely its a lot faster than what we've had in the last few games with Maxi and Carra.

FFS my dead granny is faster than Maxi & Carra, so that's hardly saying much.

Kuyt & Kelly are hardly blessed with pace. They both can work hard though, so hopefully that sees them through.

essien on the bench?

No

Turnbull, Drogba, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Sturridge, Kukuta, McEachran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thank fcuk Drogba's not starting.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

no soto, not even on bench, ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement