Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Shelter - Home Visits

Options
  • 07-11-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of getting a dog soon. Need to get a puppy as we already have a cat so figure introducing a puppy would be far easier. Also want to get a small breed (well crossbreed preferably) as although we have a decent size garden, I dont think its big enough for a big dog.

Anyway, I figured the best place to get a new puppy would be an animal shelter, dspca, dogstrust etc. They all seem to have regulations about them coming to visit the house to make sure everything is suitable...and sound very strict about it.

I'm just wondering does anybody know how strict they are about this? I mean we have nothing to hide and will show nothing but love and attention to the dog. We've had cats and other pets all my life so love animals but I don't know, a home visit makes me nervous for some reason? Any experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yenwod wrote: »
    We are thinking of getting a dog soon. Need to get a puppy as we already have a cat so figure introducing a puppy would be far easier. Also want to get a small breed (well crossbreed preferably) as although we have a decent size garden, I dont think its big enough for a big dog.

Anyway, I figured the best place to get a new puppy would be an animal shelter, dspca, dogstrust etc. They all seem to have regulations about them coming to visit the house to make sure everything is suitable...and sound very strict about it.

I'm just wondering does anybody know how strict they are about this? I mean we have nothing to hide and will show nothing but love and attention to the dog. We've had cats and other pets all my life so love animals but I don't know, a home visit makes me nervous for some reason? Any experiences?

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who will lie to a shelter or rescue about where and how they live, they will say they have a secure garden, etc and then don't, and the dog gets out, and ends up back in the pound, or being run over etc. So, good rescues and shelters will carry out a home visit, not to judge how you live, or how clean your home is, but just to ensure that the dog is wanted, and that it will be safe.

Honestly, it is nothing to be worried about, the fact that you want to give a rescued dog a home is fantastic. Most of the people who carry out the homevisits would be people who may have adopted from a rescue previously, so have been through the home visit, and have now decided that they would like to help the rescue in some way.

Look upon the homevisit as your chance to ask questions as well, it should be a two way thing I think, if you have enquired about a particular dog, ask about it, and between you and the homechecker, have a good look at the garden and your home, to see where the dog will sleep, eat and play etc, and they might give you some insights that you hadn't thought about.

Best of luck with it, I hope that you get the dog that you and your family want.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

like the poster above said there is nothing to worry about, its just to see that u have a secure garden and also i imagine to make sure you do live where you say.
    if you feel you dont want a h/v for wat ever reason wat about looking in your local pounds, there is always a good choice of dogs there and most of them are in danger. the only down side is that they wont be tested with other dogs/cats.Which if your looking for a pup wont really matter. you will also have to get them vac and spayed yourself, wheres most good rescues will have this done.
    Just another option if you want to go down the rescue route.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Ah cheers guys, that's great to hear. I know the rescue places are only doing what's the very best for the dogs but when I hear homevisit, I suddenly start getting doubts even though our garden is perfect and we're all mad about animals :D

Going to do plenty more research but am very excited about a potential new addition to the family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cedissapointed

They just want to get a better clue of who you are how you live and if the house is a good envoirnment(make sure the little wane isn't goin to bump his fat head off anything)there probably going to check if it is dirty,or messy,so i would do a clean up , a home visit is serious,but i wouldnt worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They will want to be able to home a dog with you! There are only so many places and if they can home a dog, they save another (as do you).

Their main focus will be where the dog will be kept, how long the dog will be alone for, how secure your garden is and to ensure everyone in the family want the dog.

I wouldn't do a special clean up at all - have your house as it usually is. You're not going to have an immaculate house if your dog lives there with you anyway:D. A relaxed homely home is preferable to an immaculate home where you'd worry about muddy paw prints etc.

I'd think that the homecheck is really just a formality to ensure you didn't lie on your initial application form. It's nothing to worry about at all. You'll do great I'm sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement