Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots

Options
  • 07-11-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

H,

In August this year, I bought a pair of boots in Dunnes Stores for €22 euro.

I have only worn the boots a few times (about 4-6 times since I bought them) and I noticed yesterday they are leaking.

I wore them into town (it was raining) and when I got home, my sock and feet were wet.

I don't have the receipt as I burned it (didn't think I'd need it:(:o), is there any chance that Dunnes will do anything? They still have the same boots in there for the same price I paid.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without a receipt, it's very unlikely. If you bought them with a card, then your statement is also a proof of purchase. If you paid cash, you have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Don't Dunnes only sell their own brand?? chance your arm going in with a reciept.

Stupid question, but I assume you're talkign about wellington boots??
    Is it possible rain came in from the top? check them first by filling the with water and sticking the in the kitchen sink overnight, check them in the morning and see if the water has gone down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

As someone said if you have a CC statement then it could be possible.
    Another suggestion:
    Go into the store and buy the same boots. With the new receipt, return to the store with your old boots. Ok, they might not give you a refund but instead you'll get a credit note.;)

Let me know how you get on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Scottie99 wrote: »
    As someone said if you have a CC statement then it could be possible.
    Another suggestion:
    Go into the store and buy the same boots. With the new receipt, return to the store with your old boots. Ok, they might not give you a refund but instead you'll get a credit note.;)

Let me know how you get on:D

And is it any wonder that shops and companies are wary of scams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gillo wrote: »
    Don't Dunnes only sell their own brand?? chance your arm going in with a reciept.

Without a receipt they don't know when they were sold, or even if they were sold, as they could have been stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They will only give you an exchange with no receipt. Be nice, explain. Chances are the same problem has occurred with many- I know of 2 boots styles in there that had loads of refunds as the zips on both were faulty, and of another one that was recalled because the chain slipped underneath the heel. I'd say you have a 50/50 chance- of an exchange or goods up to the value, refund- no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go in with the boots to Customer Services and explain your situation. If you can dig up a credit card or laser card receipt, that would be even better.

Given that it's Dunnes, you're likely to get some satisfaction. But just remember, that without a receipt, it's all entirely at the shops discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

H,

In August this year, I bought a pair of boots in Dunnes Stores for €22 euro.

I have only worn the boots a few times (about 4-6 times since I bought them) and I noticed yesterday they are leaking.

I wore them into town (it was raining) and when I got home, my sock and feet were wet.

I don't have the receipt as I burned it (didn't think I'd need it:(:o), is there any chance that Dunnes will do anything? They still have the same boots in there for the same price I paid.

Thanks for any help.
    It really does depend on the condition they're in. If they look like they've only been worn 4 times (I would advice giving the soles a bit of a scrub) and now they're leaking they might cut you a break and give you a credit note since ordinarily they'd usually have to be sent back to the supplier. I doubt they're going to do that for a pair of €22 boots. I'd say a refund is definately out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Unless they were sold as waterproof boots you'll have no chance. Most footwear is stitched and water will get into the shoes in wet conditions.

At €22 its highly unlikely that they are waterproof unless they are wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had paid for the with cash, so no bank/card statements.

However, I went into Dunnes this evening with the boots and explained my situation and the manager said I could do an exchange.

Unfortunately they no longer had the boots in my size (they had them in other sizes) and I was able to exchange them for three tops instead.

As for not knowing when they were sold - there was a number/code on the inside of the side of the boots and when the woman entered it into the computer, all the information about the boots came, when they were sold etc.

Thanks a lot to Dunnes, I do completely understand they didn't have to do anything for me, but I am very grateful they did do something.

In future I will make sure to keep receipts for longer than 3 months.

Thanks again for all your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Fair play to Dunnes for exchanging these, above the norm in this case.

For my own curiousity can I just ask, were they welly boots?

if not then Dunnes really did go above and beyond, as I would not expect it to be reasonable that a pair of €22 boots would not leak when worn in rain. If they are normal fashion items, then it is mad to expect that they would be water tight, especially at €22!
    so if they are not wellies, Dunnes really did you a big favour in exchanging them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have had similar experience with Dunnes, it's suprising that a company who are known to be very aggressive with suppliers in terms of price and credit terms are so good at the old customer service when it comes to exchange and refunds.

Advertisement