Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairballs - when should I get worried?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hiya

Kitteh has been hacking all day today and no sign of a hairball yet - also her purr sounds a bit 'wet' and gurgley ... she seems fine and has been eating today alright ...

When/should I get worried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Glowing wrote: »
    Hiya

Kitteh has been hacking all day today and no sign of a hairball yet - also her purr sounds a bit 'wet' and gurgley ... she seems fine and has been eating today alright ...

When/should I get worried?

could be an upper respiratory infection get her to a vet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I have a cat who was prone to hairballs when she was wee. The vet gave us some tube of gunk which the cat ADORED. Sorted out the hairball problems instantly, and was so easy to get her to take. Well worth investing in a trip to the vet, in case it is something else, and also just because it's so easily solved and prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

One of mine is a fecker for hairballs if he isnt grooming himself its one of the other cats. I got de-fuzzem in the vets it was about €6 for a tube and you just put about an inch on his paw or a spoon each day for 3 days and that sorted the problem. They all get some put on them now once a week and we dont have hairballs anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I had a cat acting like that for a couple of days, but I then discovered she was v. sick with a bad throat infection. She was also hiding & not eating though - so I really should have known.

If your cat is acting a bit off as well as the coughing - then it should be brought to the vet.

If the hairball doesn't appear soon, you should go anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Why do you suspect hairballs, has she been grooming herself lots?

If you can let her have access to a bit of long grass, you might find she eats some of it and somehow that seems to make it easier for cats to throw up the hairballs.

If her purr still sounds gurgly and wheezy after getting rid of the furball, or by tomorrow morning regardless of the furball, definitely get her to a vet because it sounds a lot like she's got some kind of mucus in her throat making her hack, and it could well be a respiratory problem.
    In fact, it sounds more like that than furballs, to be honest.
    Feel her ears... if they feel very hot she could well have a temperature, in which case I'd say get her to a vet sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I would bring her to the vet seen as shes "hacking" all day, it sounds like she has an infection.

Anytime mine has hairballs they cough couple of times then its over. It shouldn't go on and on...

have her checked out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Well unfortunatley you were all right. Not a hairball issue at all :(

Kitteh was no better yesterday evening, in fact she seemed worse. Hadn't eaten much and was really not herself. Brought her down to the vets double quick and it turns out she has Pneumonia :(

She was given a strong antibiotic injection, and thankfully she has perked up a lot today! She woke us up 3 times during the night by jumping on the bed so is almost back to herself :) She had breakfast and water this morning and was miaowing to get outside (fat chance kitteh!)

We've to bring her back tonight and again tomorrow for a checkup - but were told that it'll be 10 days plus before she is 100% again.

Bit worried why such a young healthy cat would get pneumonia - he mentioned FELV, and I'm just praying that it's not something along those lines.

Thanks for your help all, will keep ye updated.

Advertisement