Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options
  • 07-11-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

As it is all over the national news, how do people think wexford will vote in the next election. Will we follow the national trend? Will fianna fail keep their general stronghold? Could Labour win two seats or could fine gael get 3?? Who do people expect to run?

I for one dont think fianna fail will lose out as much here as they will do nationally and could still hold their two seats with good vote management. I cant see FG getting three seats tbh however two for labour is a real possibility imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I wonder will 'Save the Rail' be fielding candidates? Or perhaps I should say will one or two of the Save the Rail people who have raised their profiles through the campaign be on various party tickets. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I think John "15 grand is no big deal" Browne and Seán "show me a bandwagon I can jump on" Connick might have their work cut out this time. In 2007, FF got 2½ quotas with 42% of the vote, if the national trend plays out I can't see them getting 1½ this time. Labour don't have a realistic running mate for Howlin and this might help FF.
    FG will almost certainly hold two seats but Liam Twomey probably has a good chance of taking one of the FF seats. John Dwyer, if he manages to ditch the SF baggage and runs as an independent could seriously damage FF but I can't see him making it.
    I would say
    FG 3
    Labour 1
    FF 1 (probably Browne)

What about Labour's Save the Rail councillor? None of the sitting on their holes TDs deserve a single vote - all any of them have done is line their own pockets for decades. That said a large proportion of the Irish electorate should be disenfranchised as they are incapable of rational voting. Who the **** cares that x was in the GPO in Courtown in 1916 - that was then and this is now!

What about Labour's Save the Rail councillor? None of the sitting on their holes TDs deserve a single vote - all any of them have done is line their own pockets for decades. That said a large proportion of the Irish electorate should be disenfranchised as they are incapable of rational voting. Who the **** cares that x was in the GPO in Courtown in 1916 - that was then and this is now!

I agree with your sentiments but unfortunately that's the choice we're going to have, unless somebody comes up with a credible alternative between now and the GE.

BTW, when did they move the GPO out of Courtown? I can never get a stamp when I need one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

If there was an election it would be as you were 2 ff 2 fg 1 lab, Labour if they ran the right candidtate might grab a 2nd seat. Jumpship Twomey won't get a seat mainly because Fine Gael in Wexford don't like him.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    If there was an election it would be as you were 2 ff 2 fg 1 lab, Labour if they ran the right candidtate might grab a 2nd seat. Jumpship Twomey won't get a seat mainly because Fine Gael in Wexford don't like him.

I'm sure you're probably correct but can you explain the mentality of anyone who votes for the criminals FF again?

Badabing wrote: »

I'd say he'll be on the ticket though, doesn't make sense having him on the ticket if he has no chance. Why have him "resting" in the Seanad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I voted FF last time and won't be voting for them this time. I dislike Lisa McDonald as a politician and don't think too much of the rest of them either.

I think they will lose most their seats this time round. Don't think the FG guys are up to much either.

Forgetting 'save the rails' - think some one will run as a a 'save the hospital'. Possibly an independent.

Will probably end up voting for labour and not sure who else. TBH if Dustin was running, I'd probably just give him my vote (even though I know it would be a failed ballot). I have lost complete confidence in ALL our politicians.

Either way, I'm looking forward to them coming around canvassing! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

Any further thoughts on the political shake up in Wexford after the election. Looks like we'll have one before March.

Would it be inconceivable that 2 FF seats would be returned? I never thought they were worth voting for before and wouldnt even give them my last preference now. Somehow though John Browne manages to top the poll no matter what!

Labour hav two candidates in Coady and Howlin now. Will be interesting to see how Coady fares on his first outing. Probably a bit too much to expect that hed be in the running for a seat but you never know if theres a Gilmore gale.

FG should have a decent shot at a third seat this time round. Two secure looking deputies in Darcy and Kehoe and Twomey has a good profile and has gotten to the Dail before. Now or never for FG.

Dwyer is running as an independent under the left alliance wing (i think). Hard to know what his prospects are.

Are there any other candidates declared? Do SF and the GP have anyone?

Should be interesting!

Why interesting? There isn't a worthwhile candidate amongst the lot of them. :(

• Advertisement

Why interesting? There isn't a worthwhile candidate amongst the lot of them. :(

Well interesting I suppose because we should see a massive political shake up nationally and hopefully in Wexford too.

I agree that there isnt much to choose from but I guess we have to go for the best of what is available. Unfortunately a lot of people in Wexford seem to find it hard to look beyond the parish pump which has left us with some very average politicians over the last few decades.

Probably naive of me to hope that people might finally move away from this given our economic woes at the moment!

Local radio reporting today that FG selected Kehoe Twomey and Darcy at their convention last night.

Twomey got over half the votes which is quite a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Should be interesting!

I don't find it interesting at all.

Politics has become almost homogeneous in this country... put on your suit, say the right things, show up at the right places, shake the right hands, tow the party line, lambaste the opposition, come up with new tax names as an excuse to raise funds to pay bills and grind your nuts on the fence in all other situations (sorry ladies).

It's not exciting at all... in fact it's just a monotonous cycle. I don't really understand why people get overly excited about it... effectively your appointing a board of directors who are supposed to run the country like a company for all intensive purposes... there's very little exciting about that.

It really doesn't matter who is elected... nothing really ever changes.

"I don't vote"

"Then you don't have a say"

I don't seem to have a phucking say anyway so I really couldn't be bothered me arse anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

bmaxi wrote: »
    John Dwyer, if he manages to ditch the SF baggage and runs as an independent could seriously damage FF but I can't see him making it.

I've read online that John Dwyer is running as an independent with the United Left Alliance. Does anybody know if this is true?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've read online that John Dwyer is running as an independent with the United Left Alliance. Does anybody know if this is true?.
    Seamus O'Brien is running under the ULA banner.
    http://redwexford.wordpress.com/

John Dwyer may stand as an Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

jpb1974 wrote: »
    "I don't vote"
    "Then you don't have a say"I don't seem to have a phucking say anyway so I really couldn't be bothered me arse anymore.

Agreed, ive never voted as i lived abroad and this is my first election home, they all seem as useless as each other. At the moment my plan is to spoil my vote, rather than just not vote. Politicians in this country are utterly useless and hell bent on getting into/ staying in power rather than doing something usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

It's amazing how successfully FF manage to spread the blame around, "ah sure, they're all the same", blah blah blah; people get what they deserve.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if FF do not lose a seat, preferably John Browne's, though it is hard to be clear on who'd be in the prime place to take it, so they could sneak two back.

mrkr wrote: »
    It's amazing how successfully FF manage to spread the blame around, "ah sure, they're all the same", blah blah blah; people get what they deserve.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if FF do not lose a seat, preferably John Browne's, though it is hard to be clear on who'd be in the prime place to take it, so they could sneak two back.

Liam Twomey could conceivably take Browne's seat. I think that's the reason why Browne went apoplectic over the announcement about St. Senan's the other day.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Liam Twomey could conceivably take Browne's seat. I think that's the reason why Browne went apoplectic over the announcement about St. Senan's the other day.

Probably true to say that the hospital issue in Wexford is more of an issue this time round than it was in 2007. This should serve Twomey well if he can tap into it like he did in 2002. From what I gather hes been holding a number of health meetings throughout the county.

I see Gilmore is down in Wicklow/Wexford today. I wonder will he offer Howlin the Ceann Comhairle job now or after the election?!

• Advertisement

theforum wrote: »
    I see Gilmore is down in Wicklow/Wexford today. I wonder will he offer Howlin the Ceann Comhairle job now or after the election?!

Assuming that Howlin is elected, the Ceann Comhairle's job would at least keep him out of harms way as he is a total waste of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wexxford

Any word on when the FF convention is to be held or if Browne has agreed for it to be held yet? Also any ideas as to how many candidates they are planning to run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Probably true to say that the hospital issue in Wexford is more of an issue this time round than it was in 2007. This should serve Twomey well if he can tap into it like he did in 2002. From what I gather hes been holding a number of health meetings throughout the county.
    Twomey ran as an independant in 2002 on the hospital platform and I, like others, gave him a 1st preference. Then the shagger almost immediately joined FG. I'm glad he lost his seat next time around and I hope people remember when the time comes. He doesn't care about local issues, he has an eye on personal progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wexxford

oldyouth wrote: »
    Twomey ran as an independant in 2002 on the hospital platform and I, like others, gave him a 1st preference. Then the shagger almost immediately joined FG. I'm glad he lost his seat next time around and I hope people remember when the time comes. He doesn't care about local issues, he has an eye on personal progress.

In fairness to Twomey he did give it almost two and a half years before he switched, hardly "immediately":confused:. I believe his biggest fault was his naivety in believing he could make a difference as an independent.

wexxford wrote: »
    In fairness to Twomey he did give it almost two and a half years before he switched, hardly "immediately":confused:. I believe his biggest fault was his naivety in believing he could make a difference as an independent.

I dont think the switching thing is much of an issue anymore. The people of Wexford will be looking to pick the candidates which are most likely to make a difference to the county at a national level in the next Dail. Twomey and Howlin are the only ones with a chance of a ministry of some description after the election.

The days of Independents ruling the roost are thankfully nearly at an end! :)

I dont think the switching thing is much of an issue anymore. The people of Wexford will be looking to pick the candidates which are most likely to make a difference to the county at a national level in the next Dail. Twomey and Howlin are the only ones with a chance of a ministry of some description after the election.

The days of Independents ruling the roost are thankfully nearly at an end! :)

Oh yes, much better to vote for party hacks who will blindly vote the party line and to hell with the electorate. :rolleyes: As for Howlin what has he ever done for the county or country for that matter - a smug little git IMO.

Oh yes, much better to vote for party hacks who will blindly vote the party line and to hell with the electorate. :rolleyes: As for Howlin what has he ever done for the county or country for that matter - a smug little git IMO.

Oh come on!? The independents like Lowry and Healy Rae have held this country to ransom for the last 20 years. When you vote for a party politician at least you have a good idea of what they stand for and what they will look to do for the country as opposed to your own back yard.

As for Howlin, while he may be Ceann Comhairle in the next Dail at least he is close to the leadership of the Labour party.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I dont think Browne will run again, but if he does i hope the people of Wexford have the sense to kick him out. No doubt FF will get at least one seat and probably Connick as he is 'new'. Browne has had his fun, issued his ''please look favourably on this planning application" letters and should clear off. He has done nothing for this county and if he decides to push his son forward then i hope he doesnt make it either.

Connick's constant "I'm part of a new breed in FF" in an effort to distance himself from the meltdown, turns my stomach. He has supported every move made by Cowen and Co. since he entered the Dáil, nobody gets any sort of Ministry from the FF hierarchy without being a good little chap.
    He's just another example of the absence of any sort of integrity among this shower of criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

who the hell is the best person to vote for then... im sorry but the parish pump tactics have to rule on this occasion in my mind... wexford is in a complete mess... wexford town needs investment badly...then we have the roads issue alongside the total lack of ideas and vision by anyone with any bit of authority or pull in the place.

1800's thinking in 21st century times ! all investment and business is focused on waterford we are getting the **** end of the stick as usual... it sucks ass big time and im sick of it... whoever will do somthing for wexford gets my vote becausee on a national level nobody cares about wexford or its people and were getting sucker punched every time.

our hospital in bits, st.senans gone, zero incentives to get business back up and running in the place and even less promotion of the county in general.

i dont care if you accuse of parish pump tactics ... nobody else gives a dam and if the people of wexford dont stick up for themselves who else will...

whoever brings employment, infrastructure and builds the WEXFORD ECONOMY gets my vote.... because im Wexican First, Irish Second! simple as that.

Advertisement