Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Firstly to previous poster I'm a FG voter - and I'm entitled to my opinion.

To you, I didn't say you specifically but I still stand by my statement, the majority of people didn't know who to vote for so Mick was an easy choice.

This is my personal opinion, and I'm not alone in this regard!

How hypocritical - to defend your entitlement to an opinion whilst blasting those who chose to vote for Mick Wallace, after all it was their opinion that MW was the right choice for their vote.

The electorate have made their choices, get over it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have to say it but watching some of the results coming in from the count centres and the reactions of FG/Labour/FF/SF party workers when their man or woman got elected was like Groundhog Day. Same parish pump reaction, same type of candidates with a different party name. I didn't expect any difference but it doesn't make it any better. If any of them had a brain cell between them it would die of loneliness.

Great news for Enniscorthy to see our man John Brown back in the Dail O'Briens Sandwich Bar. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

He owes 7 million to Irish banks.

I honestly don't think Wallace is in it for the money. His heart (i hope) is in the right place, but he is too much of a risk and will have too little a say in the national government to be an effective TD. I hope he proves me wrong.

He could have joined Fianna Fáil. Prospective bankrupts have been known to have their creditors relent when they support FF. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

patff wrote: »
    What ministry???????

Liam Twomey TD, Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty, with Special Responsibility for Lookin' after No.1.

The main reasons Twomey went from an independent to a party is because he wasn't getting a voice as an independent. His focus is still the same and to accuse him of being a quisling and selfish shows you know noting about the man.

A job in health would most likely suit him as that's where his main focus is to change, as well as the fact that he is a practicing doctor who would have an in-depth knowledge of the health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Great news for Enniscorthy to see our man John Brown back in the Dail O'Briens Sandwich Bar. :rolleyes:

Better than getting stoned out of your head I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Slightly off topic but can anyone explain why there is a notion that Liam Twomey will get the Health Ministry when James Reilly (the FG Deputy Leader !) has been a very vocal and very capable Health Spokesman - I can't see Health going anywhere other than to him.

In any case, despite the fact that LT performed very well in the election, would his elevation to Minister not severely tee off some of the returning TD's when he has only been a Senator for some time ? Genuine question - if he gets a ministry fair play to him, but I think that it's unlikely that Wexford will get more than one minister, and I'd tip Labour's Brendan Howlin to get a seat at the cabinet table instead given his length of time in ther Dail (unless he gets the Ceann Comhairle position of course) Any thoughts ?

bmaxi wrote: »
    He could have joined Fianna Fáil. Prospective bankrupts have been known to have their creditors relent when they support FF. :cool:

In fairness I seem to remember the banks treated FG's 'Garret the Good' in a special way too - it's all about who you know not what you know. Sadly and inevitably the new government, not yet formed, is going to be exactly the same as that which they replaced - no change.

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0217/fitzgerald.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

In fairness I seem to remember the banks treated FG's 'Garret the Good' in a special way too - it's all about who you know not what you know. Sadly and inevitably the new government, not yet formed, is going to be exactly the same as that which they replaced - no change.

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0217/fitzgerald.html

Slight difference. Garret was not a TD at the time, far less one on whose support the Government relied. The creditor was an institution supported by the taxpayer but then when did FF ever give a fcuk about the taxpayer.
    Sadly, I share your pessimism about the new government but maybe the voters need to have their eyes opened a little further. I don't think the levels of corruptuon could be as high as with FF but then, as I'm sure you've gathered , I consider a snake's belly to be scaling the heights, compared to FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

funkyflea wrote: »
    Here, I've only recently become a FG voter - purely based on their policies and voting for the three Wexford FG candidates and nothing more was my way of making sure that these policies have the largest support in the dail.

A vote for Mick Wallace would have done nothing but erode this and be counter productive for what I believe Ireland needs - a strong, stable government with a clear plan for recovery. Something Mick, alone, can't offer.

could this be a case of a jumpship voting for jumpship.
    So Mick Wallace was voted for because he was the easy choice and he was a familiar face. The only familiar faces I saw were Browne, Connick, Darcy, Kehoe, Howlin and Jumpship. Do you recognise any of them, they've been hanging around the Dail for years. Not quite sure what they've been up to but i dont think it was benifitting Wexford or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

there is a less likelihood of twomey getting a ministry position now as there are only 2 FG tds in wexford. i have a feeling however howlin, if the coalition goes ahead, will have a good chance of becoming a minister. I think he's very intelligent and a good speaker, he thinks in a very logic way unlike previous tds

will wallace have to stand down if his business does go bankrupt or will his business and himself be viewed separately? like if wallace has money himself but his business doen't will he have to stand down? . . just wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

I have to say it but watching some of the results coming in from the count centres and the reactions of FG/Labour/FF/SF party workers when their man or woman got elected was like Groundhog Day. Same parish pump reaction, same type of candidates with a different party name. I didn't expect any difference but it doesn't make it any better. If any of them had a brain cell between them it would die of loneliness.
    its a little unfair to say that this early, a lot of these candidates are newly elected and we haven't seen what they're capable of yet and most likely are not the same, we have to give them a chance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I'm not sure what the story is - I don't know if your business is treated as a seperate entity from your own financial situation, but I doubt it. However, he says that there is no danger of him going bankrupt, that all of his properties are rented and that the rent goes directly to the banks which he owes money to. He says that he has a current tax clearance cert, so that's a positive. When you think of it, anybody who has a mortgage owes money, it's only if you default on payments that there is a danger of bankruptcy. If he should become bankrupt he would have to resign as this is one of the situations which makes you ineligible to be a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

The main reasons Twomey went from an independent to a party is because he wasn't getting a voice as an independent. His focus is still the same and to accuse him of being a quisling and selfish shows you know noting about the man.

I voted for Twomey back then because he was an Independent. If I'd had any idea that he would jump ship to FG I would not have voted for him. He pulled a cunning stroke, and its irrelevant what else I know about him. Why not wait until the end of that Dail term and then switch? Anyway, it's history and I could care less for excuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dk89 wrote: »
    okay my post isn't full of lies

I heard him say it himself that he is in it for money. And since he's an independent he will get extra allowances for being leader.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0301/1224291080505.html
    another Independent, Mick Wallace, says he plans to forgo the allowance paid to Independent TDs.

in it for the money alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

What ministry???????

Liam Twomey TD, Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty, with Special Responsibility for Lookin' after No.1.
    PseudoQuisling Loyalty? I've rarely seen a more contradictory combination of only three words; it basically means fake, treasonous loyalty. Do you mean to suggest that Twomey is faking being a treasonous collaborator?

Lyanna wrote: »
    PseudoQuisling Loyalty? I've rarely seen a more contradictory combination of only three words; it basically means fake, treasonous loyalty. Do you mean to suggest that Twomey is faking being a treasonous collaborator?

Oh lordy, but you must have no life!!!!

is it not plausible to you that words may have more than a basic meaning?

Absolutely, words may have many complex and layered meanings. However, you used a combination of words that doesn't actually mean what you appear to think it means (in fact, it arguably means the exact opposite*). Inaccuracy is not an example of linguistic sophistication. It's a particularly egregious error when you're attempting to sound impressive by using a word like "quisling" in the first place.

*My apologies if by "pseudo quisling" you meant "someone who is not really a collaborator/traitor". The implication of your post was that you meant "someone who is a traitor". The only meaning I can discern for the phrase "pseudo quisling loyalty" (or, rather, "pseudo-quisling loyalty", with a hyphen) is that of someone who is genuinely loyal and is posing as a traitor. Again, I assume that's not what you meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My final word on the election in Wexford is to congratulate all the candidates and their supporters for the prompt removal of their posters and signs. It's a very Irish thing that we put these up when there is a vote and I think they are a blight on our landscape. Anyway, credit where it is due, well done

oldyouth wrote: »
    My final word on the election in Wexford is to congratulate all the candidates and their supporters for the prompt removal of their posters and signs. It's a very Irish thing that we put these up when there is a vote and I think they are a blight on our landscape. Anyway, credit where it is due, well done

I'd say John Brown took a lot of his posters down alright - probably still in shock that there were still enough daft saps in the county prepared to vote for him. My last word on the subject until the next election campaign - promise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Supertech wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but can anyone explain why there is a notion that Liam Twomey will get the Health Ministry when James Reilly (the FG Deputy Leader !) has been a very vocal and very capable Health Spokesman - I can't see Health going anywhere other than to him.

I'd have the same view, to be honest. If the health portfolio goes to an FG TD, then Reilly really is the obvious man for it. In addition to having been the health spokesman most recently, he is also a doctor (as is Varadkar - seems to be a common profession in FG now, so being a medical doctor may be far from sufficient for the role in the foreseeable future!), and a former president of the IMO, giving him credentials somewhat beyond those of Twomey, WRT that particular role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

cython wrote: »
    I'd have the same view, to be honest. If the health portfolio goes to an FG TD, then Reilly really is the obvious man for it. In addition to having been the health spokesman most recently, he is also a doctor (as is Varadkar - seems to be a common profession in FG now, so being a medical doctor may be far from sufficient for the role in the foreseeable future!), and a former president of the IMO, giving him credentials somewhat beyond those of Twomey, WRT that particular role.

To be honest, they are both vested interests, being doctors.

Quite a few things need to be sorted out - the HSE, consultant salaries, the dual public/private model, Health Insurance, and centralisation of services. There is no getting away from it, not all hospitals will be able to provide all services at a high level. The big question will be where will these centres of excellence be, and what services will the remaining hospitals provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

jd wrote: »
    To be honest, they are both vested interests, being doctors.

Quite a few things need to be sorted out - the HSE, consultant salaries, the dual public/private model, Health Insurance, and centralisation of services. There is no getting away from it, not all hospitals will be able to provide all services at a high level. The big question will be where will these centres of excellence be, and what services will the remaining hospitals provide.

I'll grant you that, but I was just pointing out that Twomey having been a doctor in no way makes him a shoe in for the health portfolio, or for any other role, as some posters were suggesting. It may well be the case that TDs prior careers may have no bearing whatsoever, but in the event that they are taken into account, Twomey is probably on a par with Varadkar for Health (he might edge him slightly having been health spokesperson in the past), with both of them behind Reilly.

Absolutely, words may have many complex and layered meanings. However, you used a combination of words that doesn't actually mean what you appear to think it means (in fact, it arguably means the exact opposite*). Inaccuracy is not an example of linguistic sophistication. It's a particularly egregious error when you're attempting to sound impressive by using a word like "quisling" in the first place.

*My apologies if by "pseudo quisling" you meant "someone who is not really a collaborator/traitor". The implication of your post was that you meant "someone who is a traitor". The only meaning I can discern for the phrase "pseudo quisling loyalty" (or, rather, "pseudo-quisling loyalty", with a hyphen) is that of someone who is genuinely loyal and is posing as a traitor. Again, I assume that's not what you meant?

So I create a fictitious title to generate sarcasm, and you feel the need to explicate it's meaning. :confused: Perhaps there's a Technocracy out there, somewhere, that could use your dogged pedantry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

What happened to Michael Darcy in this election? I thought with the large population in Gorey that he would have got in easily..

So I create a fictitious title to generate sarcasm, and you feel the need to explicate it's meaning. :confused:
    I think it's worth pointing it out when the sarcasm depends on an oh-so-clever piece of wordplay that happens to be completely nonsensical. On the other hand, the detailed explanation of its meaning is entirely due to this condescending piece of bull****:
    is it not plausible to you that words may have more than a basic meaning?
    Look, you made an error. Fair enough, we all do that but don't try and pass it off as containing some kind of deeper meaning that only your superior intellect can grasp. It's not unreasonable to point it out when something doesn't actually make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

V480 wrote: »
    What happened to Michael Darcy in this election? I thought with the large population in Gorey that he would have got in easily..

I'm not in the Gorey area so I don't know how he ran his campaign. In terms of the count D'arcy was ahead of Browne all the way until Connick was eliminated, and transferred heavily to Browne resulting in him getting the last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

Squiggle wrote: »
    I'm not in the Gorey area so I don't know how he ran his campaign. In terms of the count D'arcy was ahead of Browne all the way until Connick was eliminated, and transferred heavily to Browne resulting in him getting the last seat.
    The word on the street was that D'Arcy hadn't done alot since getting elected in 2007. Not very capable and p!ssed off alot of people. How on earth could an incumbant Fine Gael TD lose his seat in the biggest swing to Fine Gael in decades!

"Quissle my nissle" - I reckon Lyanna is ahead in the scrap above - what do you reckon folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

slightly off topic again but i saw Wallace on Vincent Browne last night and he was very poor .

jimmyging wrote: »
    slightly off topic again but i saw Wallace on Vincent Browne last night and he was very poor .

I saw him and don't agree that he was poor. Not in his usual comfort zone but he did well enough when you consider how seasoned politicians fare against Vincent Browne.

• Advertisement

I think it's worth pointing it out when the sarcasm depends on an oh-so-clever piece of wordplay that happens to be completely nonsensical. On the other hand, the detailed explanation of its meaning is entirely due to this condescending piece of bull****:

Look, you made an error. Fair enough, we all do that but don't try and pass it off as containing some kind of deeper meaning that only your superior intellect can grasp. It's not unreasonable to point it out when something doesn't actually make sense.

Well, I haven't engaged in any reappraisal or scrutiny of the "completely nonsensical.....wordplay" that you have such a literal hard-on for. I'm ok with what I wrote, but if you can't handle it, feel free to continue your keen analysis.

Advertisement