Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

patff wrote: »
    Well, I haven't engaged in any reappraisal or scrutiny of the "completely nonsensical.....wordplay" that you have such a literal hard-on for. I'm ok with what I wrote, but if you can't handle it, feel free to continue your keen analysis.
    Are you throwing in the towel patff? How about a final riposte from Lyanna? Can that be the end of it (please!)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Can we keep this Thread on topic please it is starting to go off Track with the Argy Bargy Tit for Tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

paul75 wrote: »
    Are you throwing in the towel patff? How about a final riposte from Lyanna? Can that be the end of it (please!)

sorry paul, and any others, this is it from me......

When I coined the fictitious title Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty I was being sarcastic and did not expect it to receive a second thought from anyone. However, "Lyanna" decided otherwise and proceeded to provide his/her own subjective assessment, for motives that have remained unclear.

For my part, I resisted the urge to suspend my disinterest and explain (or attempt to explain) what Lyanna described as "completely nonsensical". So to put the matter to bed, here's what I think I meant.

The use of the word Quisling is obviously a reference to treachery and collaboration with ones enemies, particularly the Fascist sort. This irreverently ties in with Fine Gaels "Blueshirt" past, but ultimately means little. In this context it presents the idea of optimum treachery, but as Dr. Liam's own particular brand of disloyalty could never be figured to be anywhere near the same level as the disloyalty practiced by the infamous Vidkun Quisling, I say PseudoQuisling. I'm open to correction, but can this not be interpreted as pretend Quisling or false Quisling. Maybe not, but as I've pointed out earlier, it's just sarcasm.

As to the Loyalty reference, well, can't loyalty be viewed in relative terms. For example, one may possess fervent loyalty, or conversely have no loyalty whatsoever, or something in between.

That's it.......... Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty.............or Minister of the Department of Questionable Loyalty but not quite as disloyal as Quisling.

once again, my apologies, pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

patff - your explanation puts me in mind of the cult TV series "The Prisoner" from the 1960s. In this interview Patrick McGoohan, the series star, writer and producer, explains what it was about. Apologies for going so far off in a tangent but I'd say this thread has just about had its lot anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

patff - your explanation puts me in mind of the cult TV series "The Prisoner" from the 1960s. In this interview Patrick McGoohan, the series star, writer and producer, explains what it was about. Apologies for going so far off in a tangent but I'd say this thread has just about had its lot anyway. :D

If disgruntled types come malleting down my door I'll know where they got the idea from. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

When I coined the fictitious title Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty I was being sarcastic and did not expect it to receive a second thought from anyone. However, "Lyanna" decided otherwise and proceeded to provide his/her own subjective assessment, for motives that have remained unclear.
    Saying something doesn't make sense isn't a "subjective assessment". The rules of grammar and language are quite objective. As for my motives, how much motive do you need to make a casual comment on an internet message board? My second post, the detailed explication on potential meanings (which I freely admit was pedantic, snarky and also happens to have been entirely deserved) was, as I already pointed out in my last post, due to your condescending suggestion that your words had some kind of deeper meaning that the rest of us couldn't understand. It's not like I'd have had a problem with "sure, it doesn't make sense but it sounds cool" or something of the type.

Why am I in inverted commas BTW? I'm real (and female, for the record).
    I resisted the urge to suspend my disinterest...
    :rolleyes:
    I say PseudoQuisling. I'm open to correction, but can this not be interpreted as pretend Quisling or false Quisling. Maybe not, but as I've pointed out earlier, it's just sarcasm.
    Hey, that was actually quite close to one of my suggestions!
    Lyanna wrote:
    My apologies if by "pseudo quisling" you meant "someone who is not really a collaborator/traitor".
    FTR I assumed you were comparing Twomey to Quisling, given that people on internet message boards don't generally exercise restraint when making analogies. I commend you on your sense of proportion at least. (Since you did say you were open to correction, I think you're looking for something closer to QuislingLite.)

And with that I shall withdraw from the conversation. Sorry for the threadjack, Paul75, Scaller, Judgement Day and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

V480 wrote: »
    What happened to Michael Darcy in this election? I thought with the large population in Gorey that he would have got in easily..

In my opinion Darcy simply concentrated too much on North Wexford. Billboards stating that he was based in north Wexford and "put Gorey in Government etc" would have put me off if I wasn't from North Wexford.

Looks like Howlin will get a cabinet position - difficult to say which one, probably less prestigious portfolio like tourism I'd say.
    What about toomey - probably a junior ministry - most likely in health (coz he's a doctor innit).
    As for Kehoe - supported Kenny in the heave last year so might get some token job, otherwise he would have been firmly fastened into the back benches.

As for Wallace, lots of noise and bluster but ultimately ineffectual for greater Wexford.
    Browne will have less noise and bluster - equally ineffectual for greater Wexford though. He's probably better than Wallace at getting you a medical card or planning permission though

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

Looks like Howlin will get a cabinet position - difficult to say which one, probably less prestigious portfolio like tourism I'd say.
    What about toomey - probably a junior ministry - most likely in health (coz he's a doctor innit).
    As for Kehoe - supported Kenny in the heave last year so might get some token job, otherwise he would have been firmly fastened into the back benches.

As for Wallace, lots of noise and bluster but ultimately ineffectual for greater Wexford.
    Browne will have less noise and bluster - equally ineffectual for greater Wexford though. He's probably better than Wallace at getting you a medical card or planning permission though

Pretty accurate summing up there Paul.

I still wonder if Howlin might be outside the presumed 5 Labour ministries. Granted he has had a high profile in the last week or two but prior to that he has been pretty low key while others in the party have been rolled out. We'll have to wait and see.

Definite junior ministry for Twomey i'd say. Possibly not health though. That would more likely go to Jan O' Sullivan if she misses out (as assumed) on the main health gig. Perhaps one of the economic juniors for Twomey. (he is outgoing finance spokesperson in the Seanad after all).

It'll be hard for Kenny to ignore Kehoe completely but that said it'll be equally hard to bring him to the cabinet table when the likes of Hayes and O'Dowd will be left out. He has a chance of Government chief whip but that wont be the easiest of jobs.

Wallace I suspect wont be heard of again, unless he pops up for wearing something ridiculous in the Dail or is made bankrupt -what a joke.

Browne Snr has already retired (effectively).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

WTF Do you mean Effectivley Retired????

and Expect to see something from Mick Wallace, a Lot of noise in Opposition hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Browne was on the radio this morning, said some old dear had nailed his name to a Holy? tree, so he'd be elected. There's hope for us yet with such a sophisticated electorate, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
    The worrying thing is, if her petition to the Almighty or the fairy king or whatever, was successful then clearly the spirit powers have a major downer on the folk of Wexford. :eek:

Sure didn't Browne announce his retirement from politics after getting elected?

We'll hardly notice really.

WTF Do you mean Effectivley Retired????

and Expect to see something from Mick Wallace, a Lot of noise in Opposition hopefully
    That's what we said Mahatma - lots of noise - eff all else - as useful as tits on a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 draiocht23

theforum wrote: »
    I still wonder if Howlin might be outside the presumed 5 Labour ministries. Granted he has had a high profile in the last week or two but prior to that he has been pretty low key while others in the party have been rolled out. We'll have to wait and see.

Definite junior ministry for Twomey i'd say. Possibly not health though. That would more likely go to Jan O' Sullivan if she misses out (as assumed) on the main health gig. Perhaps one of the economic juniors for Twomey. (he is outgoing finance spokesperson in the Seanad after all). (effectively).

Twomey won't get anything - there will already be two prominent people from Wexford in the cabinet (Howlin and Kehoe, as chief whip) and geography dictates that he will be consigned to the back benches.

Biggest news really is D'Arcy's attempt to slink into the Seanad after categorically stating, before the election, that it should be abolished. He even issued a statement in December calling for a referendum on its future to be held on the same day as the general election - bet he's glad now that didn't happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

That's what we said Mahatma - lots of noise - eff all else - as useful as tits on a bull

well at least it will be more than what the last lot have done for the last few years as TDs for established parties. you wouldnt even know they were part of Dail Eireann the way they kept to themselves and were rarely seen asking questions or making any sort of noise, happy just to let their superiors do the work on the floor. if Wallace, Ming, Shane Ross etc generate some publicity and get things moving by talking to media and raising issues in the Dail, then it will be worth it to put a shakle on what is pretty much a cosy cartel for the main parties in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

My god, is that twat Twomey going to spend the next 5 years blaming Wallace for not getting a cabinet position? He was never going to get it.

Anyone see Lisa Mcdonald on Vincent Browne on tuesday night, he ran rings around her and she came across really bad, career ending imo.

Here it is btw, she mostly makes a fool of herself early on, didnt watch the end

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=33386

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Well it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years. John Browne said this will be has last Dail, I think he believes that his son is entitled to inherit his seat. Malcolm Byrne is probably the strongest Fianna Fail politician in Enniscorthy/Gorey, certainly amongst the most capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Murtinho wrote: »
    My god, is that twat Twomey going to spend the next 5 years blaming Wallace for not getting a cabinet position? He was never going to get it.

Anyone see Lisa Mcdonald on Vincent Browne on tuesday night, he ran rings around her and she came across really bad, career ending imo.

Here it is btw, she mostly makes a fool of herself early on, didnt watch the end

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=33386

Like him or loathe him,Vincent has no equal in exposing bull****ters.
    I didn't hear what Twomey had to say but I heard him on the radio saying he'd be disappointed if he didn't get a cabinet position. Not a happy chappie today, I'd say.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Like him or loathe him,Vincent has no equal in exposing bull****ters.
    I didn't hear what Twomey had to say but I heard him on the radio saying he'd be disappointed if he didn't get a cabinet position. Not a happy chappie today, I'd say.

in the wexford people, he reckons one of the three would have gotten a cabinet position but "the Wallace Factor" meant only two got in and all he would get is a jnr position.
    If anyone is ever considering voting for Lisa Mcdonald they should look at that video, coffee mornings for young mothers i ask ya:D

So not even a junior minister for Twomey...

• Advertisement

Looks like geography beat him to it.

He'll have to wait for the reshuffle in 2-3 years time. All in all Wexford did as well as we could have expected.

At least FG and Labour know we exist. Unlike FF for the last 20 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Delighted for Twomey. Spent a fortune in the election just to be voting fodder

I wonder what will be implications of Census 2011 for the Wexford Constituency. More particularly, if the population of Wexford is over 150k, the constituency will definitely need a change.

In 2007, the electorate was 103,562
    In 2011, the electorate had grown to 111,063

In 2006, the population of Wexford was 131749 (an increase of 13% in 4 years).

Wicklow (also a 5 seater) , by comparison, had an increase in electorate to only 95,339 in this year from 91,492 in 2007!!

I think it's quite possible that by the time of the next election Wexford may have become 2 X 3 seaters, or perhaps part of North Wexford may have been moved to the Wicklow constituency.

Any thoughts?

isnt it more likely that the nrs of TD's are going to be cut, Wicklow would be fine with 3, wexford with 4

Murtinho wrote: »
    isnt it more likely that the nrs of TD's are going to be cut, Wicklow would be fine with 3, wexford with 4

It would certainly need a referendum for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marydelia1

Lol look at this vid of galvin taking the piss outta mick wallace!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMff8Eq9DTw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

marydelia1 wrote: »
    Lol look at this vid of galvin taking the piss outta mick wallace!!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Great to Mick Wallace finally coming out with a stance on something. Legalize pot and paid sex. Good man Mick.

• Advertisement

Great to Mick Wallace finally coming out with a stance on something. Legalize pot and paid sex. Good man Mick.

yeah, because thats exactly what he said. He actually said he wants a debate on it and it to be legislated, rather than swept under the carpet like it is now.

Advertisement