Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

All I was pointing out - in my experience - is that when people move away from their roots they tend to vote differently to when they were at home with mammy/daddy and their neighbours. I have lived all over the country and have seen the tribal way people vote. :)

but it only happens in the country though?

I agree with your point in general, but to try confine it to country people is fairly condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Did anyone see the speech bubbles that have been stuck on some FF posters around Wex town?? Some say 'let them eat cheese' 'i dont have a clue what im doing' and some others about the IMF...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Did anyone see the speech bubbles that have been stuck on some FF posters around Wex town?? Some say 'let them eat cheese' 'i dont have a clue what im doing' and some others about the IMF...

Aye... I seen them, very funny. A couple I remember were:

"Don't worry, the IMF are sound"

"We reduced the minimum wage"

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Aye... I seen them, very funny. A couple I remember were:

"Don't worry, the IMF are sound"

"We reduced the minimum wage"

Really funny...seen some where they have tried to remove them or stuck FF stickers over them...the truth hurts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The Hare

oldyouth wrote: »
    Interesting 1st post there OP. I'll make the assumption you have no agenda against Mick Wallace. As for it being a clear victory, it surely will, but heaven only knows who for at this stage.

Firstly, Mick Wallace is not a bankrupt and that is a serious accusation in this day and age. I won't report the post because I think it says more about you to leave it there.

Secondly, I have no problem with anyone owing money, as long as they are meeting their payment obligations

i have no axe to grind with mick wallace, and quite frankly i could'nt care less whether you report the post or not.
    mick wallace owes millions. is he looking for a job?, because unless people use their votes wisely he will have no influence whatsoever in his new job as TD, unfortunately the FF brothers in arms the wonderful FG brigade are going to have a majority by the looks of things. same old parish pump politics.
    PS. I am not voting FF/FG as i believe one is as corrupt as the other and who's interest are only to increase their own personal finances!!.....By using your votes in a more national way!...They will have more effect...good luck with the football pitches and vineyards!!...:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

So into the last week of the campaign, which candidates do people think have run the best campaigns?

Connick - seems lacklustre this time around. Doubt either of the FFers are doing much door to door stuff. He is probably the choice of FF hq though. Having his office attacked wont do him any harm I suspect!

Browne - has leaflets claiming everything from the Opera house to the Gorey bypass. His pleas on SE radio at the wknd to return two TD's for Enniscorthy (himself and kehoe) were very sad. Desperate stuff but it might be enough. Canvassed by him once in Wex town.

Kehoe - Seems to have a strong team of family out, plenty of posters but Browne like in message.

Darcy - Pretty quiet this campaign. Is the "local TD for Gorey" campaign not washing this time? Doesnt seem to be getting out of Gorey.

Twomey - One of the more high profile campaigns, radio, postering, popping up on SE radio a lot. Have been canvassed by his team twice in Wex town so they're getting the ground covered. Seems a better campaign than in 07 but time will tell.

Howlin - Seems to be taking a bit of a backseat in this campaign. Perhaps hes under orders for HQ to help bring in Coady. I'm sure if he does nothing he'll still get in. No canvassers around yet.

Coady - Solid enough campaign so far but I wonder if he'll make much of an impact outside Enniscorthy. With the Gilmore Gale somewhat deflated this may not be his time.

Wallace - A late entry but made up for it with plenty of colour! Prominent campaign and good media exposure. Will it be a good enough subsitute for knocking on doors. It wasnt for Twomey in 07.

Kelly - While SF are doing well nationally I dont see evidence of this in Wexford. Dwyer will keep the SF vote down. Wrong choice of candidate perhaps. Plenty of flyers through the door though.

Dwyer - Very low profile campaign. Probably good for a few thousand votes though.

Seen Twomey & Co canvassing on the Main Street in Wexford last Saturday.

Avril Doyle comes up to me as I passed by and says "Can we count on you for a vote?" and I just kept walking... wondering was there any chance she might give me a loan of score if I just walked up to her out of the blue and asked her.

Spotted Wallace driving through Enniscorthy today in a left wheel drive black BMW jeep chatting on his mobile phone... what a good example to set eh :rolleyes:

After that... haven't seen any of the rest... lucky me eh!

Went to school with Paul Kehoe. Always thought of him as an honest and genuine fella. Haven't spoke with him in years. Am thinking about taking a punt and giving Wallace my number 1, Kehoe my number 2 and phuck the rest!

Oh yes... I think it's only fair that I should mention that I spotted a Danny Forde poster between Ferrycarrig and the first roundabout (hospital) yesterday.

Well done to Danny, now at least I know one thing about the guy... he looks a bit like actor James Nesbitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Avril Doyle was on the main street last saturday with that twomey numpty and a brigade of young up and comings all dressed up pontificating about FG and how we need to get this country back working.

what has Avril Doyle ever done?ive never seen her in wexford town before and she only lives out the road. at least Howlin did somthing years ago for wexford and you see him about... say whatever you like about parish pump politics but in the main...the national politics everybody is swollowing and banging on about since the recent media frenzy has done nothing for wexford, so what are we meant to do ????

the National Issues your now going on about has forgot about wexford and we're always left behind,left out and forgotten about when it comes to development and improvement...rosslare europort and harbour is a dump and is crumbling and its meant to be one of the busiest ports in ireland... were the only ones without a proper motorway link on the southern side. you have to jump on to a motorway up past gorey before the roads start getting decent.

wexford business investment has been forgotten about.... we didnt even have christmas lights this year???depressing! there is no lights under wexford bridge???depressing! small things but its that bad....

yeah right...when i quizzed a FG upstart about the irish language they said it wasnt an issue... there was more important issues to worry about????

i think our culture and heritage and being who we are is a little bit important!

got canvassed by a few of them on the town and just told them plain and simple NO your killing the Irish Language... face on one of them when i told her... i dont think she expected anybody to refuse her cheesy charms.

Wallace will deliver a new perspective...if even to ruffle a few feathers... i know he is independant but we dont know how things will go .... if there are likeminded independants they may be needed... until wallace came on the scene i really didnt know who to vote for ? nobody was saying anything new...everything sounded tired and for me, and in my personal opinion id rather take a punt on wallace and give him a chance than some snotty white collar who wouldnt give you the time of day or who are only seen in wexford once every 4 or 5 years, WHEN THEY WANT SOMTHING!

i have no affiliation to wallace or his campaign or any of the political parties...these are just my independant thoughts... so i hope they will be posted.

thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

guardian%2B009.JPG

In my opinion these two pieces of election literature show an appalling contempt for the County Wexford electorate. The top one is a glossy 4 page supplement that came with the Guardian today extolling the virtues of Liam "Jump Ship" Twomey and contains nothing of substance but tastefully (?) presented.

guardian%2B005.JPG

The second one is from John Dwyer (ex.Sinn Fein) who is standing as an independent and it contains just this cartoon, not a mention about the candidate or what issues he supports. Another waste of paper. Give FG an overall majority at your peril - remember Richie Ruin - Minister for Hardship - from Frank Hall's Pictorial Weekly?

http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i saw wallace canvasing in town the other day but he started running away cos some old men started shouting at him asking him what about that 100 euro you owe me! haha, i don't know like its everyones decision who they vote for but i can't see why we should vote wallace in when he is millions in debt, i mean if he can't sort out his own finances how can he help sort out ireland's?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

I hope Wallace doesn't get elected, if you ask me he seems like an unreal eejit that doesn't have a clue about politics and is completely hopeless.

Howlin would be good to get in, the last time he did he was minister for health and did a lot for wexford hospital, in fact i think the last time fine gael and labour were in wexford did very well and we got lots of new facilities for wexford, i think if we had 4/5 labour and fine gael tds it would get us a lot for wexford!

doyler101 wrote: »
    I hope Wallace doesn't get elected, if you ask me he seems like an unreal eejit that doesn't have a clue about politics and is completely hopeless.

Howlin would be good to get in, the last time he did he was minister for health and did a lot for wexford hospital, in fact i think the last time fine gael and labour were in wexford did very well and we got lots of new facilities for wexford, i think if we had 4/5 labour and fine gael tds it would get us a lot for wexford!

Would that be like the other 'unreal eejits' such as John Browne and Howlin? Where are all the benefits that Howlin, Browne, Kehoe, Connick etc. have brought the county? The place is an economic wasteland and was long before the Celtic Tiger died.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

i think if we had 4/5 labour and fine gael tds it would get us a lot for wexford!

i think thats what most people would settle for, with wallace making up the 5, it's the ratio i'd prefer nationally aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Howlin did a bit for wexford when he was in and was THE ONLY ONE to do ANYTHING for wexford in many years... he got the hospital up there etc etc.

Fianna Fail did nothing for wexford NOTHING! only line their own pockets.... remained dormant for the entire time and rode out the good times sucking up to their leader.....the politicans were completely OFF THE RADAR.

a bloody disgrace..

wexford needs someone to fight our corner.... national issues need to be addressed of course... lets not be unrealistic... but we live in wexford and its time we got our bite of the cherry. i travel over 100km's to work every day cause i cant get a job in my own town. petrol is up in the moon and rising and even moreso now with the stability in the middle east... taxes have increased...wages have decreased... im going home every night knackered and going to bed not able to spend quality time with my family because im too tired. its not a sob story...theres thousands of people like me and its not on!!!

who is going to look out for us ? not some pompus white collar crony anyway. we need someone "of the people, for the people" as the saying goes....

FG on their own would be political suicide in my personal opinion. at least have some sort of coalition in there to keep a handle on things and throw some independants in there too while were at it. The whole thing needs to come crashing down. a working mans wage for politicians not exorbatant executive fee's... if they want to really work for the people and to make ireland better let them show us by example... they get expenses to travel to work in a beamer by a chauffeur???? who will give me the 150+euro for my travelling to work each week?? im better off on the dole as are alot of people who are now starting to realise that... the country has gone to the wall and Bertie and Cowen etc have the blood and tears of this country on their hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

Did we not have a hospital in Wexford before Brendan Howlin. Did John Browne not have a part in bringing the Dept. of Ag to Johnstown Castle (and all those Dubs to Wexford)
    TDs are elected to do whats right for the COUNTRY
    The sooner we change the system the better (and no i dont know what that better system is) but this country will never improve when you have TDs looking after local and self interests

i just don't understand why someone would vote for mick wallace. he's a man that owes a heap of money and can't even sort out his own business and hair so why anyone would vote him in is a mystery to me!

jpb1974 wrote: »

Went to school with Paul Kehoe. Always thought of him as an honest and genuine fella. Haven't spoke with him in years. Am thinking about taking a punt and giving Wallace my number 1, Kehoe my number 2 and phuck the rest!

just out of interest why would you vote for wallace?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1) Wallace
    2) Howlin
    3) Cody
    4) Dwyer

That'll be it from me.

i'm actually only 17 so i can't vote but if i could:
    1)Kehoe
    2)Twomey
    3)Howlin
    4)Darcy
    5)Coady

i think twomey would work hard and do a lot for the schools in wexford and also the hospitals.
    kehoe would also do a lot for education and agriculture.

• Advertisement

xclw wrote: »
    i'm actually only 17 so i can't vote but if i could:
    1)Kehoe
    2)Twomey
    3)Howlin
    4)Darcy
    5)Coady

i think twomey would work hard and do a lot for the schools in wexford and also the hospitals.
    kehoe would also do a lot for education and agriculture.

What will Twomey do for schools and hospitals
    What will Kehoe do for schools and farming

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

Paully D wrote: »
    1) Wallace
    2) Howlin
    3) Cody
    4) Dwyer

That'll be it from me.

wallace no 1? are people actually gonna vote for him, he is a complete joke.
    it would be pointless voting for an independent (every man for themself)
    he won't be minister for anything and he won't get anything for wexford, we'd be better off having a dog in than him. he won't do a thing for the schools of wexford like loreto and cbs that really need new facilities!

wallace no 1? are people actually gonna vote for him, he is a complete joke.
    it would be pointless voting for an independent (every man for themself)
    he won't be minister for anything and he won't get anything for wexford, we'd be better off having a dog in than him. he won't do a thing for the schools of wexford like loreto and cbs that really need new facilities!

It's either Mick Wallace or not vote as far as I'm concerned. There's not a single decent candidate amongst the others.

effemall wrote: »
    What will Twomey do for schools and hospitals
    What will Kehoe do for schools and farming

a hell of a lot more than that wallace lad will anyway.

kehoe is a family man and farmer. he will see the benefits in educating children and the importance of proper facilities in school, he will also know what farmers actually need.
    twomey is a doctor so he will know what hospitals need and he'll try and keep the a&e department open

It's either Mick Wallace or not vote as far as I'm concerned. There's not a single decent candidate amongst the others.

Don't vote so! how is he decent, he can't even wash himself right!

As you've already said, you're too young to vote and therefore too young to be as worldly wise and cynical of our politicians as many of us here who have seen it all before. There'll be an election, there'll be a new government and then the electorate will go back to sleep while those elected set about looking after their salaries, expenses and pensions.

Did you say youre 17 or 7??

effemall wrote: »
    Did you say youre 17 or 7??

As you've already said, you're too young to vote and therefore too young to be as worldly wise and cynical of our politicians as many of us here who have seen it all before. There'll be an election, there'll be a new government and then the electorate will go back to sleep while those elected set about looking after their salaries, expenses and pensions.

just because i'm younger than you doesn't mean i'm not any "wiser" don't forget its your generation that have got our country in this mess in the first place.

• Advertisement

We have ruled ourselves for approx 90 years. For the most of that time we have been governed by central and right leaning parties. For the most of that time this country has been a basket case. Now that we are deeper in the **** than at any other time in our brief history why should we expect a central right party to get us out of it

Advertisement