Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

well i don't see a man who owes millions as an influential figure for "getting us out of this"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

xclw wrote: »
    well i don't see a man who owes millions as an influential figure for "getting us out of this"

Im not talking about or pushing any particular candidate. Its an ideology i have a problem with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

xclw wrote: »
    just because i'm younger than you doesn't mean i'm not any "wiser" don't forget its your generation that have got our country in this mess in the first place.

I am happy to accept that in some cases older does not mean wiser but at age 51 I think I can claim to have a better handle on Irish politics than someone who isn't 17 yet. Incidentally, I have dealt with numerous politicians down the years, only voted for FF once in that time (1981) when a gang of us did it to celebrate Charlie Haughey's election song - "Arise and follow Charlie" - a catchy tune and as good a reason as any to vote for a party. Also, I take issue with your attitude that it's my generation that have created the present mess - it is certain of the Irish Golden Circle of politicans/bankers/media etc that created the mess - the average Joe has no input. Alas when you reach the ripe old age of 51 I won't be here to see all the positive changes your generation have brought to Ireland. :rolleyes:

Can't find it on You Tube but here are the catchy lyrics - it was originally about Bonny Prince Charlie not the Squire of Abbeville

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5oy9Ra7g69ehDFw6r-BNrcdTOOxAa6Y7Mwmlc1TuuAsyPeLX6EA

From southern glens to Aston Shores
    The ancient cry of freedom roars
    From Northern hills to Leinster’s doors
    We’ll rise and follow Charlie

With Charlie’s song we’ll sing as one
    With Charlie’s song we’ll sing along
    With Charlie’s song we’ll march along
    We’ll Rise and Follow Charlie

Hail the leader, hail the man
    With Freedom’s cause it all began
    With Irish Pride in every man

Young and old we all approve
    He’s kept the Country on the move
    He’ll help the Nation to improve
    So Rise and Follow Charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

doyler101 wrote: »
    he won't do a thing for the schools of wexford like loreto and cbs that really need new facilities!

Well theres been nothing done for them in living memory so he can hardly do any worse than his predecessors can he? Mick will give it an honest go, he's something new and worth a shot. I wouldnt consider voting Independent otherwise, cant stand the parish pump thing but Mick is different and even if he's in opposition he'll get things done, rather that that some party bound politician who just votes/does as he's told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

doyler101 wrote: »
    wallace no 1? are people actually gonna vote for him, he is a complete joke............ we'd be better off having a dog in than him.QUOTE]

We've had the dogs and look where it got us. It's time to look outside the way we've always done things

• Advertisement

. It's time to look outside the way we've always done things[/QUOTE]

I think youve forgotton that this is ireland. ya know the place that just doesnt do change

effemall wrote: »
    I think youve forgotton that this is ireland. ya know the place that just doesnt do change

In the grand scheme of things its early days yet, they always say it takes 100yrs to get over a civil war, we're nearly there. Theres even a difference from when i was a kid when you'd see neighbours falling out over politics, that generation is disappearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Murtinho wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things its early days yet, they always say it takes 100yrs to get over a civil war, we're nearly there. Theres even a difference from when i was a kid when you'd see neighbours falling out over politics, that generation is disappearing.

Two of the great impediments to change, i.e. the RC church and FF have taken a bit of a pounding in the last couple of years. This can only be good for the country. The unloading of the yoke that was the church is probably less obvious in rural areas because the church buildings themselves tend to remain a focal point for locals but it is changing. The other yoke, that of FF will, hopefully, be lifted this week.
    The unfortunate part is, the country is probably in a worse state today than it was 90 years ago. I don't see FG as the saviours of the country, no more than they were at the formation of the state. I don't subscribe to the theory that they are more ethically responsible than anyone else but what I hope this election will prove is that there are other choices to make if only people will take an interest and force their politicians to earn their keep. The days of the "safe seat" hopefully are gone and if the electorate want to exercise real power in the country then no TD should be confident of retaining their seat in the next GE. We should spend every day of the next Government's term reminding them of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

Think we need to think both local and national in the election.

Twomey and Howlin are the only ones capable of making any impact on a national basis. Lets give them a try and kick them out in 5 years time if they dont perform. Its going to be a FG/Lab government. Lets not cut off our nose to spite our faces.

Kehoe is a good local politician and will get elected because of this.

Darcy - can take him or leave him. I'm sure the people of Gorey love him :rolleyes:

The two FFers deserve a good kicking!

Wallace - he hasnt convinced me yet. I say let him have a run at the local elections first and take it from there. Theres too much at stake to send a novice up to the Dail. The last thing we'd want is a byelection if he gets bored and does a George Lee or if hes bankrupt after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

just out of interest why would you vote for wallace?

Like JD said.. it's either Wallace or nobody from my perspective.

People talk about wanting change... but I don't see how change will come about if we keep voting in the same old, same old again. We have to give people with a truly different perspective a chance. Politics will never change unless we vote for people that curb the trend.

FF, FG and Labour... for one party it's 6 apples and 6 oranges, for the next 7 apples and 5 oranges and for the other 5 apples and 7 oranges... it's just different ratios of the same thing in too many instances.

I would be slightly sceptical about MW but a part of me says that I have to give them man a chance before he can prove himself as a success or as a failure. It's a pure punt and nothing else.

It's punt or now't.

• Advertisement

theforum wrote: »
    Think we need to think both local and national in the election.

Twomey and Howlin are the only ones capable of making any impact on a national basis. Lets give them a try and kick them out in 5 years time if they dont perform. Its going to be a FG/Lab government. Lets not cut off our nose to spite our faces.

Kehoe is a good local politician and will get elected because of this.

Darcy - can take him or leave him. I'm sure the people of Gorey love him :rolleyes:

The two FFers deserve a good kicking!

Wallace - he hasnt convinced me yet. I say let him have a run at the local elections first and take it from there. Theres too much at stake to send a novice up to the Dail. The last thing we'd want is a byelection if he gets bored and does a George Lee or if hes bankrupt after a few years.

Yes, the two FFers need a good kicking - out of the Dail - but so also does Howlin. He is a TD since 1987 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Howlin and a fat lot of use he has been. He is a member of the old guard in Irish politics and needs putting out to grass. Apathetic and all as most Irish people are I believe our politicians will continue to mess up the country until we finally have an Egyptian/Libyan situation on the streets.

until we finally have an Egyptian/Libyan situation on the streets.

Can't imagine anyone in Enniscorthy will take to the streets unless there are top notch acts providing the music and public consumption of alcohol is permitted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I just cant see how Mick Wallace can make any difference.Even if Fine Gael end up with seats in the high 70s and are looking for a few independents to make up the numbers how are they going to look at Mick Wallace ? I venture that they would look at him as high risk .

I just cant see how Mick Wallace can make any difference.Even if Fine Gael end up with seats in the high 70s and are looking for a few independents to make up the numbers how are they going to look at Mick Wallace ? I venture that they would look at him as high risk .

All FG would really want is risk adverse independent candidates that will ultimately tow the FG party line... some 'change' that would be.

going by the polls this is what the majority of the electorate want .They dont want left wing change they are voting for stability in a time when we need it

That's fine... but if people want to vote for a "pseudo FG" independent then they can... but some don't, some want something different.

jimmyging wrote: »
    going by the polls this is what the majority of the electorate want .They dont want left wing change they are voting for stability in a time when we need it

stability, as in no change, what we need is a shake up and to try something new and Wallace is just that.

The Wexford People running with a front page article about Twomey. Noonan backing claims that he could be in line for a top job.

If thats the case then I think Wexford would be daft not to back him. Especially as Howlin seems to have fallen down the pecking order in the Labour party.

Its a no-brainer for me anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

After weighin up the options,Mick Wallace gets my vote. We do need change in this country and county. There is very little credible candidates running in Wexford. Political reform is a must for me.We dont need 5 TD's in Wexford,wouldnt 2 be enough?? leave the local politics to the council.166 TD's for Ireland is just ludicrous. John Browne,How long has been in the Dail? and i have yet to hear him speak!! Brendan Howlin has been good for Wexford but we need new faces,new idea's and i reckon he is too far down Mr Gilmore's list to get a ministerial Post. Paul Kehoe will not get a ministerial post. Darcy i know very little about and has been very quiet. Connick was too close to Mr Cowan and has been poor as a TD. Mick Wallace would be a different voice and have different views on a way forward.It is clear to me that Teachers will not get us out of the current mess we are in.

.It is clear to me that Teachers will not get us out of the current mess we are in.[/QUOTE]
    now that is true ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

One good thing about Mick Wallace is that he is getting a lot of young people out to vote that would not have bothered otherwise. That's good. I don't blame them when you look a the list of men in grey suits that we have to choose from. It's the same old guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Just got the People Newspaper and Twomey has a 4 page glossy full color pull-out. Just the man we need to make savings for this country. How much did that cost! He will need to claim a lot of expenses to claw his costs back if he gets in.

Just got the People Newspaper and Twomey has a 4 page glossy full color pull-out. Just the man we need to make savings for this country. How much did that cost! He will need to claim a lot of expenses to claw his costs back if he gets in.

Same supplement as referred to in my post #131 in this thread. It is glossy, expensive, wasteful of scarce resource (paper) and says absolutely nothing of any consequence. All the South East's problems can be cured by dredging Rosslare 'Europort' - anybody else apart from Toomey and Irish Rail refer to the desolate kip as this? Tourism - 'Beaches, rivers, parks, hotels, restaurants, theatre and opera.....the list is endless.' No it isn't! County Wexford is fairly devoid of good tourism products - Wexford Opera Festival aside - on the heritage front there is Johnstown Castle (with the castle still off limits to the public); Enniscorthy Castle Museum (closed for several years and due to reopen sometime), a few private gardens open to the public and a dose of zombie hotels like "The Roundabout" the Maldron outside Wexford. Some nice scenery and beaches although the planners have done their best to wreck that too with one-off housing. No, Toomey is living in an ivory tower like the rest of them. Little or nothing is made from the county's history.....'the list is endless'.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Twomey won't even come in last on my voting card.

His high profile campaign is indicative of his desparation to be elected. He can shag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

I just checked out the national results on Boards general election simulator...........Fianna Fail with 3 seats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Can anyone provide proof that Wallace owes "millions" to the banks?Correct me if I'm mistaken but if your bankrupt you can't run right?

I'd say I'll be giving Wallace a vote,even to have him in opposition might be of benefit.Most people I see advocating a vote for Howlin or Twomey are doing it more so on the fact that they might have a "big job" in government.This way of voting can contribute to the mess we're in it should be about the national interest and Wallace seems passionate about the cause,hes been there and knows business,regardless if he's failed or not he probably knows as much if not more about business than our next probable leader,A school teacher.

I don't think I'll be giving Twomey a vote,his campaign has cost more than others and I'm rather cynical about how he jumped ship a few years back.I might give Howlin a vote and maybe 1 or 2 more in Fine Gael.

Even with everythings thats happened there's still such a lack of choice and clarity it's fairly depressing.It's a negative attitude but I'd say things are going to get much worse for struggling people and that the next government will practically be run by Europe.That's why,although I hope people like Somerville and Shane Ross get in as there qualified and intelligent,We still need some characters in there to go against the grain and to question everything thats happening at all times.Even if thats in opposition then so be it.

bradlente wrote: »
    Can anyone provide proof that Wallace owes "millions" to the banks?Correct me if I'm mistaken but if your bankrupt you can't run right?

I'd say I'll be giving Wallace a vote,even to have him in opposition might be of benefit.Most people I see advocating a vote for Howlin or Twomey are doing it more so on the fact that they might have a "big job" in government.This way of voting can contribute to the mess we're in it should be about the national interest and Wallace seems passionate about the cause,hes been there and knows business,regardless if he's failed or not he probably knows as much if not more about business than our next probable leader,A school teacher.

I don't think I'll be giving Twomey a vote,his campaign has cost more than others and I'm rather cynical about how he jumped ship a few years back.I might give Howlin a vote and maybe 1 or 2 more in Fine Gael.

Even with everythings thats happened there's still such a lack of choice and clarity it's fairly depressing.It's a negative attitude but I'd say things are going to get much worse for struggling people and that the next government will practically be run by Europe.That's why,although I hope people like Somerville and Shane Ross get in as there qualified and intelligent,We still need some characters in there to go against the grain and to question everything thats happening at all times.Even if thats in opposition then so be it.

well, he has said it himself. His business owes about 40 million to foreign owned banks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I notice there's a protest by fishermen against John Browne going on in The Abbey Square in Enniscorthy today,this is one issue that successive governments have failed to tackle.We are an Island nation yet succumb to the punitive measures and restrictions placed on us by Europe.
    Wexford needs proactive representatives who will act instead of the usual speil and bluster.I am sick to death of this county being treated as a second class citizen.As much as the likes of Jackie Healy Ray etc. are charicatured and laughed at by people on the East of the country at least they got things done in their constituencies by shouting loudest until they were heard.Down here it's like Oliver Twist going with cap in hand only to be dismissed and submissively letting the big boys do their thing.
    I don't want a politician who gets a clubhouse built and thinks it's a great achievement-the county needs serious help.Upgrade Rosslare Harbour-it's our link to UK and Europe for trade.New motorways and bypasses to reduce travel times and connect us with the rest of Ireland.Even the counties we laugh and joke at for being backward have better infrastructure than us.Our politicians need a huge change in mindset,don't be in the job for the perks-be in it for the people.I don't care if Mick Wallace owes €40 million or his soul,so long as he believes in what he says and gets stuff done then fair play to him,we need more of his ilk.

All the South East's problems can be cured by dredging Rosslare 'Europort' - anybody else apart from Toomey and Irish Rail refer to the desolate kip as this? Tourism - 'Beaches, rivers, parks, hotels, restaurants, theatre and opera.....the list is endless.' No it isn't! County Wexford is fairly devoid of good tourism products - Wexford Opera Festival aside - on the heritage front there is Johnstown Castle (with the castle still off limits to the public); Enniscorthy Castle Museum (closed for several years and due to reopen sometime), a few private gardens open to the public and a dose of zombie hotels like "The Roundabout" the Maldron outside Wexford. Some nice scenery and beaches although the planners have done their best to wreck that too with one-off housing. No, Toomey is living in an ivory tower like the rest of them. Little or nothing is made from the county's history.....'the list is endless'.

Its this exact type of negativity that the county can do without Judgment Day!

Wexford has loads to offer tourism wise but we're not doing enough to promote this. We have some of the finest hotels in the country (Ferrycarraig, Kellys, Monart), great natural resources - rivers, beaches, woodlands etc, steeped in history -1798, castles, JFK, Dunbroady etc and a good selection of festivals. Yes, as Twomey highlights, there are problems but if you dont identify the problems you cant fix them.

As for the leaflet itself, surely just because someone has an original way of getting their message across doesnt mean that they should be attacked! (Theres clearly some motive with you!). All partys and candidates that want to get elected have to spend money. You mighn't agree with it but its a fact. Wallace hasnt been short of throwing some cash at his campaign since he arrived on the scene. Thats fair enough. Ideally there would be a ban on posters and the likes, but there isnt so they all do it.

Wexford needs to wake up and vote for those who can actually make an impact nationally and not those who will be mute in the Dail for the next five years.

Its a Twomey/Howlin 1 and 2 for me.

• Advertisement

theforum wrote: »
    Its this exact type of negativity that the county can do without Judgment Day!

Wexford has loads to offer tourism wise but we're not doing enough to promote this. We have some of the finest hotels in the country (Ferrycarraig, Kellys, Monart), great natural resources - rivers, beaches, woodlands etc, steeped in history -1798, castles, JFK, Dunbroady etc and a good selection of festivals. Yes, as Twomey highlights, there are problems but if you dont identify the problems you cant fix them.

As for the leaflet itself, surely just because someone has an original way of getting their message across doesnt mean that they should be attacked! (Theres clearly some motive with you!). All partys and candidates that want to get elected have to spend money. You mighn't agree with it but its a fact. Wallace hasnt been short of throwing some cash at his campaign since he arrived on the scene. Thats fair enough. Ideally there would be a ban on posters and the likes, but there isnt so they all do it.

Wexford needs to wake up and vote for those who can actually make an impact nationally and not those who will be mute in the Dail for the next five years.

Its a Twomey/Howlin 1 and 2 for me.

What's original about Toomey's leaflet supplement? I have no agenda other than seeing some radical change in the way things are done in this country and I despise the three big parties (not forgetting the Greens and SF).
    As for tourism attractions - hotels by themselves are a useful resource but are not going to attract many visitors in their own right if the surrounding product is not up to scratch. The two main 'heritage' attractions in the county - The National 1798 Centre and The National Heritage Park are really only suitable as venues for school tours. The castles (Ferns there's not much left); Enniscorthy (closed and I fear for what the refurbished result will be be like); Johnstown (which was promised by FF to be opened to the public is as far away from ever from opening). I will agree that there are some good attractions such as the Seal Sanctuary and the Adventure Centre in Courtown Harbour but look what they are in the middle of: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/2010/10/courtown-town-of-two-parts_02.html

We have Vinegar Hill which is a nice spot for public drinking and quad bikers but nothing but talk has been done over developing it as a major visitor attraction. There is the wonderful but little known Bay Garden near Camolin: http://www.thebaygarden.com/ and Kilmokea House & Gardens: http://www.kilmokea.com/ but these things are few and far between. We have a railway in South Wexford that is closed but which should be fundamental to developing toursim - any mention of that by Toomey?

That tourism is in crisis throughout Ireland is due to the politicians who have presided over the setting up of numerous duplicate marketing/development quangos - Bord Failte/Dublin Tourism/Tourism Ireland/Northern Ireland Tourist Board - for a poxy little island with a population less than the size of Manchester. Sorry for wandering off topic again.....

wallace-pink4.jpg

Mick Wallace #1 and no other!

Advertisement