Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

xclw wrote: »
    Don't vote so! how is he decent, he can't even wash himself right!

As opposed to the likes of Connick who wear a suit and tie and ''washes himself right'', yet contributed to running the country into the ground? Twomey will probably have defected to another political party in 6 months time.

Give me someone like Mick Wallace over them any time.

It's time for change and honest politics. Mick Wallace offers both.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

Seriously folks, you might as well give your first preference vote to your cat tipples as give it to Mick Wallace.
    In terms of effectiveness on local issues, your best bet is with (in order of effectiveness):
    1. A cabinet minister (prob Twoomey)
    2. A govt backbencher (any of the Fine Gael or Labour TD's)
    3. An independent TD who is supporting the govt.
    4. An opposition party TD (FF TD)
    5. An independent wack job that no government would do a deal with for their support and nobody should take too seriously.

Then again Wallace will prob get a fair bit of support coz Irish people are a bit thick and will make a decision like voting for your local representative for all the wrong reasons. That's why FF were in power for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

paul75 - Irish people will indeed be a bit thick if they give FG an overall majority and the likes of Toomey/Darcy and Paul Kehoe have nothing meaningful to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

All this talk about Mick Wallace. The man is nothing but a gangster.
    Had the pleasure to bump into him in my local the other night. The man couldn't answer one of my questions about what he thought he would be able to do as an ind.. and wouldn't answer if he'd go in with FG/Lab.
    I asked him numerous times the simple question "Why should I vote for you?, What are your policies?"
    All I got was "Will ya vote for me? You'll vote for me won't you?" and a horrible pink t-shirt:(
    Was in the college the other week and it was pretty much the same - he seems to be treating it as a popularity contest.

Quite disappointed tbh. I was seriously considering giving the man my vote, but I certainly won't be now.

gouche - How does that make him into a gangster? Mind you it sounds just like all the other politicians - so he's a fast learner. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

gouche - How does that make him into a gangster? Mind you it sounds just like all the other politicians - so he's a fast learner. :D

Well I didn't mean it literally, just an expression!

As for sounding like other politicians, yeah your right.
    It's kinda depressing looking at the ballot sheet for Wexford, severe lack of credible candidates.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

paul75 wrote: »
    Seriously folks, you might as well give your first preference vote to your cat tipples as give it to Mick Wallace.
    In terms of effectiveness on local issues, your best bet is with (in order of effectiveness):
    1. A cabinet minister (prob Twoomey)
    2. A govt backbencher (any of the Fine Gael or Labour TD's)
    3. An independent TD who is supporting the govt.
    4. An opposition party TD (FF TD)
    5. An independent wack job that no government would do a deal with for their support and nobody should take too seriously.

Then again Wallace will prob get a fair bit of support coz Irish people are a bit thick and will make a decision like voting for your local representative for all the wrong reasons. That's why FF were in power for so long.

Finally, someone thats able to see the wood from the trees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Just heard Phillip Badger Hayes say on the radio that this made his toes curl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

Just heard Phillip Badger Hayes say on the radio that this made his toes curl.

Song

I was planning on putting Twomey #12 on my ballot paper. After seeing his german nazi style photo in the people paper (his own brouchre) and after hearing that song he now goes to #14 below the fianna failers.

Hes just so fcukin ...?...?...?
    what is it that makes me dislike this man so much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I find it odd that the arguments against Wallace are that what will he do for the hospitals or schools.

The point I'd say is what has any of the rest of the Wexford candidates already done for hospitals and schools to let them get inot the state they are in?

It seems as if Wallace has to have 100% fool proof mandate and be completley perfect, yet no one questions the other mandates or asks what they will be doing. It like he has to justify his inclusion, but the others arent questioned at all. I'm from around the area Connick was TD for the last 4 years. I cant say one thing that he has done for the area. And I'm not talking about pot holes or any such rubbish. I'm talking about jobs, about redeveloping the town of New Ross, about getting infrastructure in the area right.

BTW, its highly unlikely I' will be voting Wallace number 1, but I admire his stance, and wanting to change politics at a national level. I think he is being harshly judeged, and stupid immature comments about washing and his hair are just pointless.

I just feel Wexford has one of the worst unemployment records in the country and we need a stimulous in the county to get jobs and investment back in what is a great county.

• Advertisement

effemall wrote: »
    I was planning on putting Twomey #12 on my ballot paper. After seeing his german nazi style photo in the people paper (his own brouchre) and after hearing that song he now goes to #14 below the fianna failers.

Hes just so fcukin ...?...?...?
    what is it that makes me dislike this man so much

Why would you give any preference to a candidate that you don't like. :confused:

Why would you give any preference to a candidate that you don't like. :confused:
    I always vote for all candidates. Like to give my vote a good run for it's money.

I always vote for all candidates. Like to give my vote a good run for it's money.

I don't understand this as your 10th preference or whatever could result in the election of somebody you don't want to see elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Gouche - so you approach Mick Wallace while he is trying to relax at his local and start firing questions at him about politics etc when he is tying to relax... no wonder he didnt answer you .... if i was him id probably tell you to shove off and get a life... he might be running for election but the man deserves a break too...no doubt his life has been hectic lately and then you make a nuisance of yourself annoying him at his local boozer. lovely ! hahahahaha

so thats what can swing a vote this year folks! i think the country is screwed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wexxford

Gouche - so you approach Mick Wallace while he is trying to relax at his local and start firing questions at him about politics etc when he is tying to relax... no wonder he didnt answer you .... if i was him id probably tell you to shove off and get a life... he might be running for election but the man deserves a break too...no doubt his life has been hectic lately and then you make a nuisance of yourself annoying him at his local boozer. lovely ! hahahahaha

so thats what can swing a vote this year folks! i think the country is screwed !

Mick has been canvassing in pubs.......annoying people when their trying to relax in their local boozers.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I was going to move back to Tipp after seeing the Twomey video. Then I saw this !.

Think i'll stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

when mick wallace came to my house i asked him would he consider suppoirting a minority fine gael government and he said he'd rather someone drowned him. he seems to be for himself and himself only. like i know someone who has drowned and not only do i think that statement is very unthoughtful of others it shows he isn't wanting to benefit us for the right reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i think that they should do a politics class in schools for 6th years. just once a week to teach them about all the different parties. the reason i'm saying this is because i'm in 6th year and theres people in my year old enough to vote and they thought you just put a tick beside the politician's name, they didn't understand the whole no. 1, no. 2.... concept. I couldn't believe it, the same people want to vote mick wallace cos he came up to us in a pub after the mocks and started putting his arm round them asking to vote for them he was fairly drunk too, bit of a creep if ya ask me but people think he's funny and "different". anyone can wear a pink shirt they just chose not to

I don't understand this as your 10th preference or whatever could result in the election of somebody you don't want to see elected.

I see your point judgement. its just i dont get to exercise my right to vote very often and like to spend as long as possible in there

• Advertisement

I was going to move back to Tipp after seeing the Twomey video. Then I saw this !.

Think i'll stay put.

Mattie Macgrath and Martin Mansergh in the one constituency. and we have people complaining about mick wallace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Think i'll stay put.

This should be helpful to anyone trying to describe gombeenism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

i think that they should do a politics class in schools for 6th years. just once a week to teach them about all the different parties. the reason i'm saying this is because i'm in 6th year and theres people in my year old enough to vote and they thought you just put a tick beside the politician's name, they didn't understand the whole no. 1, no. 2.... concept. I couldn't believe it, the same people want to vote mick wallace cos he came up to us in a pub after the mocks and started putting his arm round them asking to vote for them he was fairly drunk too, bit of a creep if ya ask me but people think he's funny and "different". anyone can wear a pink shirt they just chose not to

Do they not teach CSPE anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

he came up to us in a pub after the mocks and started putting his arm round them asking to vote for them he was fairly drunk too, bit of a creep if ya ask me
    17 and in a pub after the mocks and you 'think' Mick was drunk. Can you be sure? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

doyler101 wrote: »
    when mick wallace came to my house i asked him would he consider supporting a minority fine gael government and he said he'd rather someone drowned him. he seems to be for himself and himself only. like i know someone who has drowned and not only do i think that statement is very unthoughtful of others it shows he isn't wanting to benefit us for the right reasons

It was also fairly unthoughtful of Enda Kenny to make a racist joke to some of the Press about Patrice Lumamba a few years back,especially considering some of his family live here.I gather you won't be voting for Fine Gael either then?
    Fair enough if you were offended by that you have good reason but I'm sure he would have said sorry if you had let him know as much.

At this point for me its whose the "lesser of two evils".I'm not voting for someone on the hope they'll do anything for the hospital or any local promises that can't be kept,or will at the detriment to another county.None of the parties have said they'll be cutting their own wages bar sinn fein(would have been a good promise to stand on in the election).It seems like most people are voting for FG because they'll "be in government" as polls tell them and god forbid you "waste" your vote.Sure lets just usher them in tomorrow on a red carpet and scrap the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

when do we expect the first results to come in in wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I voted Labour 1 and 2. I would like a FG 2, Lab 2, Ind 1 result. But the independent (Wallace) and the second Labour candidate (Cody) are both in competition with the FF candidate and (to a lesser extent I think) FG's 3rd candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

wild_cat wrote: »
    CSPE was always bollocks. The exam is far too easy and the fact that it doesn't lead on to anything at Leaving Cert level just makes you not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

wild_cat wrote: »

CSPE is only taught for the Junior Cert. It also doesn't teach you anything about individual parties or policies, it's focused more on your community and explaining what the Dáil is. It's not too useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

My view is that religion/Christian Indoctrination or whatever it is called these days should be dumped from the school curriculum.

I'd replace it with philosophy/political history and include some Christian Philosophy as well eg Newman or Kierkegaard. I'd make it an examinable subject too.

Advertisement