Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

The FG'ers have gone very quite in here all of a sudden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

There's a lot of sour grapes going on in this thread. This just goes to prove how much the presence of Wallace on the ballot paper fecked up the cosy, arrogant plans of the established parties. Looking at the transfers from his surplus, they went all over the shop - I'd say the various Party Directors of Elections are spitting fire tonight.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

funkyflea wrote: »
    FF/FG are not the same, that's a bit ignorant. Mick Wallace, a man with no policies, a man who won't be accountable for anything has taken a seat from possibly a good Fine Gael candidate. I think most people in Wexford didn't know who to vote - didn't bother reading into the various parties policies - and were relieved when they saw a 'familiar face' on the ballot papers. This isn't how things should work.
    How ignorant a post is that. You're saying the majority of people in Wexford were wrong not to vote for a 'good Fine Gael candidate' and didn't know what they were doing :eek:

Jaysus, that's the attitude that saw him top the poll, do you not see that?????

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

browne is next in then twomey.

its a pity we didn't take the chance to vote all the fine gael lads in, everyone knew that they were going to be in power and if the 3 were in they would have had a good chance of becoming senior ministers.
    a lot of independents all over the country have got.

To be honest maybe the reason I dislike Wallace is the fine gael and ff candidates have dedicated 10 years or more to trying to help wexford, and he just gets it because he decided he wanted a bit of attention. Maybe thats just politics but i still feel sorry for the others.

Wallace will make €800,000 if he sticks the 5 years by the time you include accommodation costs, his payment for being an independent, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

asshole John Browne celebrating like he won the world cup. another 5 years picking up a cheque for doing ****e!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dk89

bruschi wrote: »
    your whole post is full of lies, but this is the worst one. show me where he said he is in it for the money and I'll retract, but you cant peddle lies like that

okay my post isn't full of lies Wallace did have the motto "I can't promise anything" and he strengthened this when he got in by saying "I made no promises"
    I heard him say it himself that he is in it for money. And since he's an independent he will get extra allowances for being leader.
    I was only expressing what I thought of him and I said that I can't see him doing a whole lot but you never know maybe I will be wrong and if I am that'll be a good thing so I'll accept it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dk89 wrote: »
    okay my post isn't full of lies Wallace did have the motto "I can't promise anything" and he strengthened this when he got in by saying "I made no promises"
    I heard him say it himself that he is in it for money. And since he's an independent he will get extra allowances for being leader.
    I was only expressing what I thought of him and I said that I can't see him doing a whole lot but you never know maybe I will be wrong and if I am that'll be a good thing so I'll accept it.

so when did he say he is only in it for the money? or where is the interview of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I am delighted that John Browne got in. In my opinion hes a hard working public representative. He has always acknowledges any requests of help and always follows up on them. He has been consistent in anything my family have asked from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

doyler101 wrote: »
    To be honest maybe the reason I dislike Wallace is the fine gael and ff candidates have dedicated 10 years or more to trying to help wexford, and he just gets it because he decided he wanted a bit of attention. Maybe thats just politics but i still feel sorry for the others.

If they've dedicated 10 years to "trying to help Wexford" then it was surely time they gave up. They achieved absolutely nothing.
    How much time do they need? They had many years of unimaginable wealth in which they did precisely five-eighths of f***-all for Wexford. What were you expecting? That they'd suddenly get a brst of energy now that the country is broke and actually see if they could bring jobs to the county? Cop on, after that length you're part of the problem, not the solution.

lolli wrote: »
    I am delighted that John Browne got in. In my opinion hes a hard working public representative. He has always acknowledges any requests of help and always follows up on them. He has been consistent in anything my family have asked from him.

There you have it in a nutshell - the kind of cronyist, patronage politics that has Ireland in the manure heap it's buried in today. Vote for me and I'll get yez the grant/job/planning permission etc. It's not supposed to work like that. TDs are supposed to represent the interests of all their constituents and the general interest of the country, not just do favours for mates and those who vote for him. Christ, it makes me sick to see grown-ups talking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dk89

so when did he say he is only in it for the money? or where is the interview of this?

he was in maggie mays one night and said it. 17th feb i'm pretty sure. he also sung karaoke that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

Bearhunter wrote: »
    If they've dedicated 10 years to "trying to help Wexford" then it was surely time they gave up. They achieved absolutely nothing.
    How much time do they need? They had many years of unimaginable wealth in which they did precisely five-eighths of f***-all for Wexford. What were you expecting? That they'd suddenly get a brst of energy now that the country is broke and actually see if they could bring jobs to the county? Cop on, after that length you're part of the problem, not the solution.

yeah but the difference is that fine gael are in power now and more than likely labour will be too. we could have had 4 tds in very good positions and it would have increased the likelihood of them being senior ministers where they would have the authority to achieve things for wexford.
    the way i see it is the last time fine gael and labour were in wexford had 4 and there was jokes made about how the galway races would be moved to wexford because we were getting lots for the county.
    we've had a mixture of 1 or 2 in from each party which doesn't enforce enough power in the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Bearhunter wrote: »
    There you have it in a nutshell - the kind of cronyist, patronage politics that has Ireland in the manure heap it's buried in today. Vote for me and I'll get yez the grant/job/planning permission etc. It's not supposed to work like that. TDs are supposed to represent the interests of all their constituents and the general interest of the country, not just do favours for mates and those who vote for him. Christ, it makes me sick to see grown-ups talking like this.

He worked very hard to keep St Senans open. He also fought very hard to improve services at St Johns hospital in Enniscorthy along with other things.

He is the type of man who will help someone regardless of what way they vote. If he was only interested in his own county he wouldnt have went for National Politics. Also for your information he didnt get me a job, a grant or planning permission.

I am entitled to my opinion thank you as you are entitled to yours. Quite obviously he has respect in Wexford. The figures speak for themselves.

@ Lolli, sorry if I sounded rude. You are right, we are all entitled to an opinion. It's just that in my honestly held opinion (and experience) John Browne is a weaselly whelp who helps only those who he feels will further his career. As for caring for Wexford, he cares about John Browne first adn second, then FF, his financial backers, anyone with money or influence, and then somewhere way, way down the line there is Enniscorthy, Wexford and the country. Show me something, anything in his political history since he inherited his seat from his uncle, where he has demonstrably helped his constituency, Wexford. Anything that he has done himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

doyler101 wrote: »
    browne is next in then twomey.

its a pity we didn't take the chance to vote all the fine gael lads in, everyone knew that they were going to be in power and if the 3 were in they would have had a good chance of becoming senior ministers.
    a lot of independents all over the country have got.

Wallace will make €800,000 if he sticks the 5 years by the time you include accommodation costs, his payment for being an independent, etc

are you sure thats the reason you dont like him and not that he took a seat that you thought might go to FG ??

How much will the FG TD'S earn during their term in the Dail :rolleyes:
    At least Wallace has spoken out and said he is against the extra cash that independents get.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. You should be happy with the overall result your party has achieved today and not single out the most popular TD in Wexford ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

you all do realise that if mick wallace defaults on his payments to the bank, or if the banks go bankrupt, in the next 5 years (pretty likely in the volatile international economy) he will then be in nama, and will not be able to serve as a member of the dail.

independents are going to have feck all say with the inevitable fine gael labour coalition, they really are.

I don't know if people thought this one through. I really do think D'Arcy would have been better for Wexford and Ireland, but that's democracy. A stronger FG result in Wexford could have raised our chances of a ministerial position no doubt.

All is not lost though, Twomey could still be the man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

you all do realise that if mick wallace defaults on his payments to the bank, or if the banks go bankrupt, in the next 5 years (pretty likely in the volatile international economy) he will then be in nama, and will not be able to serve as a member of the dail.

His companines may go bankrupt but as an individual he will not. I think it is a good overall result for Wexford. We got rid of one FF'er and putting in Wallace is a good warning to the 'establised' parties which might shake them up a bit to give us better people in future. It also got younger people interested in the election. However I don't think he (Wallace) will get anything done. He might make a few unprepared rambling speeches etc. in the Dail. I think he will get bored of his new toy fairly quick and pull out his Subbuteo again.

independents are going to have feck all say with the inevitable fine gael labour coalition, they really are.

I don't know if people thought this one through. I really do think D'Arcy would have been better for Wexford and Ireland, but that's democracy. A stronger FG result in Wexford could have raised our chances of a ministerial position no doubt.

seeing how his loans arent in Irish banks this wont happen.

I love the way everyone likes to give digs to Wallace and say he has no mandate or hasnt any research on what he is getting into, yet people talk rubbish about him and dont even bother to look at the answers he has repeatadly said to accusations like this.

as for him saying he was in for it for the money in maggie mays one night whilst singing karioke, I'm far more inclined to believe wallace than someone who posts anonymosly, and only their third post, all of them to slate Wallace, who was spouting rubbish in their opening post.

if people wanted a stronger FG contingent, why did people vote John Brown? someone who has done damn all for all his years in government and made no impact whilst his party had power other than to destroy us. his election is worse than Wallaces. there was 5 seats available, Wallace only took one.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

There's no way anyone can claim that Wallace has no mandate. He has one of the strongest mandates in the country with over 13000 first preference votes. Time will tell what Mick Wallace will achieve. he may do nothing other than sting the government parties into action. The process of recovery in this country will take a long time, and an awful lot of stuff has to change along the way. If he can can make an impact in terms of Dail and Oireachtas reform, then that's enough. The days of constituency politics are finished (at least for a while) and we need to look at the bigger picture. In my opinion, Wallace has that vision. He will however have to work hard to convince others in Leinster House that it's the correct one. I hope he's successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I met Wallace at a chilli peppers concert in the phoenix park many years ago. he was stood by the entrance reading his financial times and irish times. at the same time he was intercepting young lads from wexford who had strayed from the beautiful game. sheer class to see him stood there reading as the pixies and chillies belted out their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Connick was interviewed on the radio yesterday when it became clear that he probably wasn't going to be elected.

His reaction was one of self-pity, concern about his looming redundancy and the lack of job prospects that were out there for him. Not a word about his party, the people who voted for him or the people he represented during his time as TD.

Personally I found his comments extremely selfish, about 300,000 people have been posing the same concerns to your party over the past 2 years. Whilst I doubt anybody wants to see anybody out of of job all I can say is 'welcome to the real world Mr. Connick'.

Congratulations to all those who were elected, I hope you serve us well.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Connick was interviewed on the radio yesterday when it became clear that he probably wasn't going to be elected.

His reaction was one of self-pity, concern about his looming redundancy and the lack of job prospects that were out there for him. Not a word about his party, the people who voted for him or the people he represented during his time as TD.

Personally I found his comments extremely selfish, about 300,000 people have been posing the same concerns to your party over the past 2 years. Whilst I doubt anybody wants to see anybody out of of job all I can say is 'welcome to the real world Mr. Connick'.

Congratulations to all those who were elected, I hope you serve us well.

he was the only one of every candidate running who disagreed with geting rid of obligatory pensions and payouts if not re elected. in this weeks local papers, not sure if echo or people/standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

he was the only one of every candidate running who disagreed with geting rid of obligatory pensions and payouts if not re elected. in this weeks local papers, not sure if echo or people/standard.

Yes, seen that article in the Enniscorthy Echo. Couldn't help but get the impression that it was Connick #1, FF Party and the People lower down the rankings.

Not sure who his concerns were directed at yesterday... it wasn't classy at all.

kenny_pa_836466t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

THIS.

I totally agree with you and have been saying exactly this all along. Wexford's position nationally has undoubtedly been damaged as a result of the Wallace vote.

Here's hoping Twomey will still have enough clout to get a ministry.

effemall wrote: »
    Mick Wallace has taken a seat from a fine geal candidate because more people believe in a Mick Wallace type person. Who the fcuk do you think you are telling me I dont know how to vote

Firstly to previous poster I'm a FG voter - and I'm entitled to my opinion.

To you, I didn't say you specifically but I still stand by my statement, the majority of people didn't know who to vote for so Mick was an easy choice.

This is my personal opinion, and I'm not alone in this regard!

oldyouth wrote: »
    How ignorant a post is that. You're saying the majority of people in Wexford were wrong not to vote for a 'good Fine Gael candidate' and didn't know what they were doing :eek:

Jaysus, that's the attitude that saw him top the poll, do you not see that?????

Here, I've only recently become a FG voter - purely based on their policies and voting for the three Wexford FG candidates and nothing more was my way of making sure that these policies have the largest support in the dail.

A vote for Mick Wallace would have done nothing but erode this and be counter productive for what I believe Ireland needs - a strong, stable government with a clear plan for recovery. Something Mick, alone, can't offer.

Here's hoping Twomey will still have enough clout to get a ministry.

What ministry???????

Liam Twomey TD, Minister for PseudoQuisling Loyalty, with Special Responsibility for Lookin' after No.1.

... what I believe Ireland needs - a strong, stable government with a clear plan for recovery.

So what's the plan? FG don't appear to have any concrete plan to get people abck to work and earning again. Or if they do, it's very well-hidden on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

seeing how his loans arent in Irish banks this wont happen.

He owes 7 million to Irish banks.

I honestly don't think Wallace is in it for the money. His heart (i hope) is in the right place, but he is too much of a risk and will have too little a say in the national government to be an effective TD. I hope he proves me wrong.

Advertisement