Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Construction Law

• 07-11-2010 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

What is the best book available on Irish Construction Law?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Define construction law?

If you mean building regulations, then there are the TGDs or technical guidance documents. They basically show what you need to do to comply with the regs.
    These are available from www.environ.ie
    Or is you mean the planning and development act. Then there is the guidance series which shows what you can and can't do. Available form a number of council websites (eg. www.sdcc.ie)

Basically, the laws and rules that affect building come from various sources, there are many more than the above. It might be easier to tell us exactly what you are looking for. Books in general aren't great as they can become dated quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Information Seeker

Mellor wrote: »
    Define construction law?

If you mean building regulations, then there are the TGDs or technical guidance documents. They basically show what you need to do to comply with the regs.
    These are available from www.environ.ie
    Or is you mean the planning and development act. Then there is the guidance series which shows what you can and can't do. Available form a number of council websites (eg. www.sdcc.ie)

Basically, the laws and rules that affect building come from various sources, there are many more than the above. It might be easier to tell us exactly what you are looking for. Books in general aren't great as they can become dated quickly.

Case law mellor, I know of all the above^^^I should have been more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont think the question is appropriate for this forum so I'll move it to the Legal Discussion forum where some of the eagles there may be able to provide some info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Information Seeker

muffler wrote: »
    I dont think the question is appropriate for this forum so I'll move it to the Legal Discussion forum where some of the eagles there may be able to provide some info.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Thanks

http://www.roundhall.ie/navigateToUrl.do;jsessionid=E91817119678ADAC25043D59A816290C?idOfMenuItemToHighlight=catalogue&actionToInvoke=/displayProductDetails.do&productId=236001&unitId=236001

expensive but in most libraries. More for Architects/Project managers and engineers really mind.David Keane has a few other books which are good too, he was an architect as well as being a qualified barrister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are other books, dealing with contract, tort, etc. from a construction point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

Keane, David - Building and the Law (RIAI Publications 2003) has the best interpretatation of Irish construction law, by somebody who was immensely respected in the industry.

However David Keane passed away in 2007, whilst a re-print was being worked on, and copies are difficult to purchase. Do some research but your best bet may be one of the architectural libraries such as UCD Richview to see a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

Construction Law & Practice, (Ireland) Roundhall - an absolute bargain at about €600.

If you're dealing with PWC then Martin Laing's guide is pretty good. If it's RIAI then as already mentioned the rare and hard to obtain David Keane's working guide is excellent.

There are many more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Though obviously not specifically directed at Irish construction law, the best two books on construction law are, in my experience, Keating and Hudson.

If you're looking for something relating to the RIAI or GDLA contracts, then the book by David Keane recommended above is the best one. I doubt you're looking for something related to the IEI contracts, but I think Max Abrahamson wrote a book on the topic.

I disagree with the above poster about Martin Laing's books on the public works contracts - they do little more than transcribe the various clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

True, although in the absence of any thing else it's a decent guide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement