Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French films

• 07-11-2010 5:58pm

Hey I'm looking for films in french to watch, anything will do. I got a big list of my friend a while ago but I've watched them all!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hey I'm looking for films in french to watch, anything will do. I got a big list of my friend a while ago but I've watched them all!

In HMV there's "Public Enemy No. 1" and "Killer Instinct" in a double set for about €10 and they're fantastic films. They're a two part true story about Jacques Mesrine and would be similar to the General, they star Vincent Cassel. Any Luc Besson films are good, the Big Blue, Nikita, Taxi, Subway and these are easily enough found. La Haine is popular one, also starring Vincent Cassel. Binevenue chez les ch'tis was very good if you're French is good. You can always take a look and order on amazon.fr for films.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Try 'blame it on fidel'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

The French Film Festival begins in the IFI on the 18th of this month, and its definitely worth checking out.

Otherwise, some of the more recent movies I've enjoyed - La Science des reves, Une prophete, Jeux d'enfants, Les Beaux Gosses, Paris, je t'aime.. all easily available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A Prophet top film

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

+1 A Prophet - saw it at last a few weeks ago and it's great. Look out for films on TG4, they used to do French films every Friday night, am sure they'll have them on again at some point (or have them running still and I just didn't realise!). Couple of good ones would be 'Au Revoir Les Enfants', 'Belle du Jour', 'Il y a Longtemps Que Je T'aime', '300 Coups' - if you like something a bit more avant garde check out the New Wave directors from the 60's, Polish director Krzysztof Kieślowski (esp 'The Double Life of Veronique'), something like 'Cache/Hidden', 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg' or 'Betty Blue'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Ne le dis a personne is an excellent film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is also one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gaspode wrote: »
    Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is also one to watch.

lol. not really to be honest :p

OP, what are you looking for, thriller, drama,comedy, horror, etc? there's a lot to look at!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

How about the classic two part: Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

OP, what are you looking for, thriller, drama,comedy, horror, etc? there's a lot to look at!!

Agreed. I didn't think it was very good either.

Except with the bit at the start, "C'est le Noooorrrrddd!".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I really enjoyed it biloute.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

36 quai des orfevres is very good and very dark. there's a 2nd film as well, which is even darker.

le prophete and ne le dis a personne as mentionned above are very good.

for a bit of comedy: asterix et obelix:mission cleopatre, les visiteurs, le diner de cons, gazon maudit

other good ones: un long dimanche de fiancailles, delicatessen, les choristes, amelie, subway, au revoir les enfants, l'auberge espagnole.

god more i think about them, the more come to mind.

if you're looking for older stuff, there are some absolute great classics like "la grande vadrouille" or "les tontons flingueurs"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yes really tbh :D. Why not, sure it's a nice gentle giggle of a movie, nothing heavy or serious. Movies are entertainment after all, and the OP is interested in anything so why not indeed. They might love it, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Anthony Zimmer - best one I've seen lately... definitely much better than The Tourist

A Prophet (Un Prophète)

Anything For Her (Pour Elle)

Taxi (1,2,3,4)

Paris je t'aime

Love Me If You Dare (Jeux d'enfants) - brilliant film !

Paris

District 13/District 13 Ultimatum (Banlieue 13/Banlieue 13U)

Tell Noone (Ne le dis à personne)

I've Loved You for So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime)

Pot Luck/Russian Dolls (L'Auberge Espagnol/Les Poupées Russes)

A Nous les petites Anglaises

La Haine

Caché (definitely the weirdest film I've ever seen !)

Dans Paris (don't remember watching the whole of this - got pretty weird aswell)

Coco Avant Chanel

Regarde Moi (didn't actually see it - read good reviews though)

Les beaux gosses (didn't like it, personally, but that's just my opinion)

Neuilly sa mère

Secret Défense (very good film)

Nos 18 ans (thought it was good, more of a teenage film though)

Les choristes

Versailles

L'Arnacoeur (Heartbreaker - meant to be really good, downloaded it, haven't gotten around to watching it yet)

Entre les murs (The Class - very good film ! Easy enough to understand too with no subtitles)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Although, I would say if you're going to buy off Amazon - don't use the .fr site, unless you're getting someone to post them to you from France, because the shipping costs are extortionate to say the least. Amazon.co.uk now have free shipping to Ireland for over 25£ - which is good if you've got a list of things to buy. However, if you are near Dublin - the Alliance Française has got a DVD library from which you can rent DVDs (though, most of them don't have subtitles - I'm not sure if this is relevent to you) all for a yearly membership of about 25ish € (it may be a bit more - I'm a student)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kitsuune

I'm really surprised that not many Jeunet films have been mentioned... I mean most people have seen Amélie, but Delicatessen and Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement) are also great.

Le Dîner des Cons is good for a laugh and very light.

La Haine is brilliant, as is Vincent Cassel in general.

Belle de Jour (Bunuel), and Le Mépris (Godard) are also must-sees.

I loved Jeux d'Enfants as well! Quirky romance. If you like Guillaume Canet (the French guy from The Beach) then I would also highly highly recommend Joyeux Noel! It's so so great (it's in French, German and English).

A good animation I really enjoyed at the time was Les Triplettes de Belleville (Belleville Rendezvous in English). Really unusual animation.

Les Choristes is a lovely lovely film with a great soundtrack as well!

I'm sure I'll be back to this thread when I think of more! Always on the look out for new stuff to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

OSS 117 Cairo Nest of Spies- Hilarious spoof on Bond type movies and politically incorrect as well , Sequel set in Rio which I can't seem to get

Le Cercle Rouge/Le Samourai/Un Flic -The Alain Delon,Jean Pierre Melville crime films,

L'armee Des Ombres- Melville again, this time French resistance in WW II

Chance or Coincidence -Claude Lelouch -Loss,Love,Loss,Love as only the French can.

Un Coeur en Hiver- a love triangle and the music of Ravel ( and no not the Bolero )

Diva - Jean Jacques Beineix bursts on the scene, a thriller, a romance, the style ,the glamour, and the glorious music , watched it again recently and it is as good as ever.

Safe Conduct- Bertrand Tavernier . Making movies in Paris under the Nazis.

La Reine Margot-Patrice Chereau , brilliant historical drama -strong stuff

Some great French thrillers in the last few years ,most already mentioned.

Mesrine/Le Haine/Le Prophete/ Tell No one/Anything For Her/Anthony Zimmer

Some good war ones also Army of Crime/Female Agents/Strayed

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gustus

"La Haine"
    "irreversible"
    "Treize"
    "Amelie Poulain"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kitsuune

I just watched La Fille sur le Pont and loved it. Vanessa Paradis and Daniel Auteuil. Kind of crazy semi-romance about good and bad luck and the trials and tribulations of making a career out of being a knife-thrower!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

L'enquête Corse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The "Gainsbourg" film is pretty good too.

Valerie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Oh, and also "Le Herisson" with Josiane Balasko.

Valerie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

'Le Couperet' - Very good thriller, not that scary though, but it's about a man who kills the other candidates for a job he's looking for.

'Aprés Vous' - Comedy, a man who stops a stranger from hanging himself and then has to help him get a job etc. It's really funny.

'Coco Avant Chanel' - biopic about Gabrielle Chanel's life

'Hors de Prix' (Priceless)- comedy about a gold digger who goes out with a bartender who pretends to be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Amelie is my favourite french film followed by jean de florette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly / Le scaphandre et le papillon is another good one - based on a true story of a journalist who was paralysed after a stroke. It's really not as grim to watch as it sounds, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pluie

Les Amours Imaginaires (Heartbeats) is very good if you want something that's quite humorous, yet with some drama. It's Canadian, but in French. This isn't released on Region 2 until September, though. It's basically about two friends (one guy, one girl) who fall for the same guy. They then begin to fight each other for him. It's seriously good.

There's also Born in '68. This is very long, but it goes through French socio-political history from 1968 to 2007. It goes from the 1968 revolution to the AIDS epidemic to Sarkozy being elected. It's brilliant, but it's a long one so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to watch it.

Welcome is great. It's about an illegal immigrant near Calais who decides to take swimming lessons from a French local because he wants to swim across the Channel to be with his girlfriend who lives in London.

The Class. This is set mostly in a classroom full of young teens in a school in the suburbs (I presume Paris). It's basically like Dangerous Minds, but in French. The students are students too in real life, and the teacher is a teacher in real life too I think, so it's very realistic.

Presque rien is a drama about two young men who get together while holidaying in Brittany. It's quite sombre, but very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

Potiche is a new one that's good. as already mentioned,L'Auberge Espagnol and Les Poupées Russes are excellent. Of course, the classic Amelie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Diner des Cons
    Ridicule
    Germinal
    36 Quai des Orfèvres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Haven't seen "Le Huitieme Jour" mentioned yet, that's brilliant.
    Also Angel-A, and if you enjoyed Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, then surely you will enjoy Marcel Pagnol's La Gloire de Mon Pere and Le Chateau de Ma Mere (Film 1 and 2). Beautiful Provence scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭d.a.r.r.a.g.h

What about La vie en rose/La Môme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

kitsuune wrote: »
    I just watched La Fille sur le Pont and loved it. Vanessa Paradis and Daniel Auteuil. Kind of crazy semi-romance about good and bad luck and the trials and tribulations of making a career out of being a knife-thrower!!
    Daniel Auteuil is in every French film I've ever seen!!!!!

OK, that's an exaggeration. But he pops up a hell of a lot.

Advertisement