Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French films

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ShallowPockets Lucy

Panique au Village (A Town called Panic) is one of my all-time favourite films. It's a Belgian film, but all in French. It's been described as "Toy Story on acid", which does sum it up pretty well. The first 20 mins or so will just have you confused as to what's happening but then it gets brilliant!

Persepolis is a good one too - it's about an Iranian girl growing up in France during the Islamic Revolution.

Indigènes (Days of Glory) is one dealing with WWII that won some awards a few years ago.

Angel A is a really quirky one about an Angel helping a young man sort himself out - a fun watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Anything by Francis Veber is generally very good. The most famous of his works is of course Le Dîner de Cons but other stuff like Le Placard & La Chèvre are also very funny, though they can be harder to find.
    Another great film, which has just got a new release (mais malheureusement, toujours sans sous-titres anglais, dommage, comme ça merite être plus connu) is Le Sucre - a 70s film with Depardieu dealing with the perils of international finance. Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeousie is another film from that decade, a very trippy, surrealist film of which I'm always reminded when I'm in a restaurant/cafe & they tell me they're out of something (anyone who's seen it knows the scene).

Some of the older, classic French films are well worth checking out too. A Nous la Liberté (which Chaplin blatantly stole from for Modern Times) is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hasn't anyone mentioned Juliette Binoche?
    Three Colours red\white\blue (are they all in French?)
    Cache
    Code Unknown
    don't bother with Certified Copy

La Haine, and Vincent C. is great. (I saw it once with Asian Dub Foundation playing a live soundtrack)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Love Me If You Dare (Jeux d'enfants) - brilliant film !

Loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I enjoyed La Rafle, though I think I missed something culturally, as all the French people in the cinema came out sobbing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

tolosenc wrote: »
    I enjoyed La Rafle, though I think I missed something culturally, as all the French people in the cinema came out sobbing!

For your information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vel_d%27Hiv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

O. wrote: »

That's interesting. No wonder the film goers were sobbing.
    Twenty years later the same racist cops under Papon were detaining Algerians in the same velodrome.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fralez1

I don't know if it's been mentioned already because I just skimmed through the thread, but have you watched Jean-Luc Godard's films? They're what got me into watching French films. Breathless(À Bout de Souffle) and Une Femme Est Une Femme are two of my favourites. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭jaffa20

8 Femmes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Actually yeah, Huit Femmes was pretty good alright! I always forget about it. (Probably because I think of it as a musical.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any links to these films?

Advertisement