Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single phase 6sq cable

Options
  • 07-11-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

could someone tell me the going price for 6sq cable please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

what type.....pvc only, twin and earth, nym or swa?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

sorry

its swa 6 square single phase 230v wire

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

hi there for 50 meters of 3 core swa your talkin about 165 euro then the glands as well

glands?

ye you will need the appropriate size gland to suit the cable to insure the steel armor of the cable has a proper earth connection go to your nearest electrical wholesalers and they will be able to sort you out with the swa and the gland kit to suit that cable . the glands look like this

cw_cable_gland_kits_termination_kits.jpg

• Advertisement

what is the purpose of the gland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What are you using the cable for?

goin from a 30amp fuse in the house to fuse board in my shed for lights n a couple of scokets

we do it for 2.36 per mtr plus vat which equals 2.85 per mtr.

where in ireland are you indie?

• Advertisement

giggles555 wrote: »
    where in ireland are you indie?

dublin 11. dont keep it in stock but can get it same day, just need to know the lenght of the cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

For the garden shed stuff i sometimes just gland the shed end into a steel box.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    For the garden shed stuff i sometimes just gland the shed end into a steel box.

robbie do u think glanding the cable at just one end be adaquate or would you do both ends seeing that one of the 6 mm sq cores is the earth and putting a gland at one end is protecting the cable

still dont understand the purpose of a gland... probably dont need ta know but still would like ta know!

still dont understand the purpose of a gland... probably dont need ta know but still would like ta know!

The galvanised steel wire can be used as an additional earth and sometimes is used as the only earth, although this is not recommended.When the armoured cable terminates at an appliance or junction box a gland is used. You must get the correct size and type of gland for the job at hand. If it is outside the gland must be waterproof.
    The gland serves two purposes, firstly it holds the wire and prevents it from being pulled out of the appliance and secondly it acts as a secondary earth.If your making off this cable yourself and you have not done it before there is a bit of a knack to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The socket should be RCD protected. What do you mean when you say 30 amp fuse...an MCB? The light can be done local on a fused spur.
    It may be impractical to gland at the fuseboard, but would probably be best to gland at the shed end - into either the socket, or as Robbie says, into a meatal box for convenience.

maxfresh wrote: »
    robbie do u think glanding the cable at just one end be adaquate or would you do both ends seeing that one of the 6 mm sq cores is the earth and putting a gland at one end is protecting the cable

Yes i think glanding one end is good enough, its just to earth the steel wire in the armoured cable, its usually easier to do at the shed end, and then its easier to bring the cable into the house end and not put a gland on this end. The earth core in the cable is then used as the CPC as normal with any cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i think they should be glanded on supply side preferably -if glanding one end only

I have glanded at shed end in the past, and bonding strap at the house end. Either way, if the cable is damaged, there may not be enough contact with the steel wire to operate a breaker anyway, it just means the steel wire will not come up to 230v.

there's no particular reason not to terminate both ends is there?

• Advertisement

No none. Just sometimes you can get the cable in from below ground level into hall behind skirting and up dry lined wall into board. Awkward having to gland it then. But can be done of course. I just believe earthed at one end would be good enough. Although i do put bonding strap on house end anyway.

bonding strap and flylead to MET?

Yes up to earth bar. A piece of copper pipe can be put inside the swa strands for a good strong connection. But it makes a decent connection anyway.

Usually i put the strap back a bit from where the edge of the steel strands are cut, which are cut a few feet back from the end of the inner cable, so the steel does not go up as far as the DB, just strip a little of the outer insulation to expose the steel, so the strap will be behind the skirting.

Advertisement