Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remote start for car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks good (and you can get the Viper one on Android phones too I see).

The remote start thing would be nice, my car key already has a "boot" button, but the notification if your alarm is set off and ability to open the doors if you've locked the keys in is a nice touch (just hope your phone isn't in there too! :p)

I presume the temperature would still have to be preset by you manually though the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

what about these for the clifford
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/17/67160517.html

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

theres a lad in galway that does the clifford ones. wont take you long to get up when the motorway is finished! lost his number though. he's in westside. i'll get it if you like. theres a crowd in limerick too : http://limerick.yalwa.ie/ID_103150257/Clifford-Security-Alarms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I can recommend MDS Ireland (http://www.mdsireland.ie/) who do Clifford and Viper. He is based in Dublin but will install in your house; not sure if he travels as far as Ennis but well worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is it just me or does a remote car starter seem like a really bad idea for some reason (that I can't verbalise!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Is it just me or does a remote car starter seem like a really bad idea for some reason (that I can't verbalise!)

You have to leave the car in neutral, thus meaning anyone that wants to rob the car can cut the handbrake cables and roll the car away.

Verbalised :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

You have to leave the car in neutral, thus meaning anyone that wants to rob the car can cut the handbrake cables and roll the car away.

Don't people usually leave the car in neutral (when on flats etc)?? They can roll it away but don't really have access to control the direction of the roll??

Anyway, what about the case of immobilizer? Don't the key have to be on the ignition or in the car?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

lau1247 wrote: »
    Don't people usually leave the car in neutral (when on flats etc)?? They can roll it away but don't really have access to control the direction of the roll??

I never ever park in neutral. I always put it in gear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

lau1247 wrote: »
    Anyway, what about the case of immobilizer? Don't the key have to be on the ignition or in the car?

If your car has a chipped immobilisor key then the chipped part from a spare key is placed behind the dash somewhere and connected to a transponder box, thus overriding the car's ecu immobilisor and relying solely on the alarms immobilisor instead.

If you remote start the car and someone trys to break in the car will shut down if the alarm is still active and triggered, if the alarm isnt active but the car is remote started it will shut off if the handbrake is let down or break pedal pressed without the key in the ignition.

Ive had them myself before and can count the amount of times on 1 hand that I used it in winter months!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nice as it sounds, I wouldnt fancy it at all. Id say there would be a fair bit of chopping required to get it to work depending on the car in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

mickdw wrote: »
    Nice as it sounds, I wouldnt fancy it at all. Id say there would be a fair bit of chopping required to get it to work depending on the car in question.

ya thats going through my head aswell kinda putting me off , dont know what to do my car is all electronics with a warning light for everything imaginabe and then some so it could open up a can of worms :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Wouldn't mind this myself. I'll wait til I have an auto though

But see here:

For Customers Outside of the United States
    SmartStart coverage is currently available in the US only. Although the app itself can be used on iPhones anywhere data connectivity is available, the SmartStart module that is installed in the vehicle has to be provisioned to work in the GSM/GPRS network for each region or country.
    The SmartStart team is working hard on getting the system online in other countries. Please keep an eye on our website for any announcements on product availability for other countries as well as expanded features and new SmartStart applications for other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Would be a nice system if fitted from factory and allowed connection to iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Not if you have the steering lock on :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My alarm is being replaced this week, it's €300 notes extra for remote start, that's a bit rich for a novelty for me tbh

mickdw wrote: »
    Would be a nice system if fitted from factory and allowed connection to iphone.

Yeah and nicer still if you could drive the car using the phone.....

wait....where have i heard of this before....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I really doubt a car thief is going to push a car down the road!

If someone is going to rob a car these days they'll take the keys or if they wanted it for parts they'd drag it onto a beaver tail or use a tow wagon. Leaving it in or out of gear would make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

AlanD wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind this myself. I'll wait til I have an auto though

But see here:

For Customers Outside of the United States
    SmartStart coverage is currently available in the US only. Although the app itself can be used on iPhones anywhere data connectivity is available, the SmartStart module that is installed in the vehicle has to be provisioned to work in the GSM/GPRS network for each region or country.
    The SmartStart team is working hard on getting the system online in other countries. Please keep an eye on our website for any announcements on product availability for other countries as well as expanded features and new SmartStart applications for other devices.

If it had aGPS, then you can track the car movements, if stolen or when someone else borrow it where they state they in location X instead of location Y, and as an added extra security feature where you could actually kill the engine once it in a safe location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Yeah and nicer still if you could drive the car using the phone.....

wait....where have i heard of this before....

Heck feck with the start car only device, I want Bonds car :D, without the annoying Female German voice :eek:!!!

Advertisement