Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral in NCD

Options
  • 07-11-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I am approaching the end of my time, so can anyone give me advice on where in NCD is the best place to be buried, cheapest, best church service, humanist service etc. There must be alot of people out there with experience. Is cremation better than burial, is glasnevin the only venue for that? Are there any private cementaries in the area? Does anyone do green coffins etc. Anyone had relatives scattered at sea or other scenic locations etc? Any local bye laws or permission needed etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would imagine that a chat with a local undertaker would be the best way to get that information.

I can recommend Joey Lannon in Skerries. A really nice chap who should be able to give you most of the information you need.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never used the local services, so I'm unable to comment on them.

However, we sent our dogs up North to be cremated - you may get better value for money up there.

Thinking about it now - I'd like to be buried in Ardla, overlooking Skerries harbour. But I'd like my drinking arm cremated & the ashes spread over the cliff opposite my favourite drinking spot on Inishbofin off Galway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So we need a butcher recommendation also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I would imagine that a chat with a local undertaker would be the best way to get that information.

I can recommend Joey Lannon in Skerries. A really nice chap who should be able to give you most of the information you need.

Thanks but I am looking to cut out the middle man and organise myself so wouldn't like to lead him on. It's a recession I thought it might be an ideal time to plan it to get that extra little discount after all I be there a long time if I go for the traditional option so I better like the location and with a depressed market maybe I could get an upmarket. The Grallagh or Baldungan for example.

Surely with the property recession the price of a plot must be dropping with the rest of the market? I did see a Tv programme recently about private graveyards were you can get buried under a tree anyone know if any of the NAMA holdings in the area will be converted to graveyards. I wouldnt mind getting buried in Milverton estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would be no expert .... but i doubt economic variables effect graveyards plots in the same way.

its not as if demand decreases in the event of a recession. if anything it may slighlty increase.

I wasn't suggesting that you give Joey your business - he can answer your questions. For free too I'd imagine.

To be honest with you - there is no real option to cut out the middleman. How would one get in the coffin, get from church/home/hospital to one's place of rest, etc?

I'd be interested to hear if burial plots have come down in price at the same rates as properties for the living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

My grandfather passed recently after a long illness. My Dad (after a few drinks) issued his instructions for his time. He wanted to be in a wicker basket, yes they do these as his best friend of many years ( who recently past RIP) was a funeral director said that they did these, and be cremated.
    He also said that he wanted to be scattered in the pheonix park, right beside where we/he lived.

he also said that he wanted to be nowhere near a church but that's a whole different thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As Hill Billy said, you'd need the services of an undertaker for the removal. As far as I know eco coffins are widely available in Ireland, and you don't have to have a church service if you don't want one. You can go straight to Glasnevin crematorium, or indeed a cemetery depending on what your wishes are.

I personally have told my family that I'd like an eco coffin, a short service and to go into the crematorium thingy to the strains of I Love to Boogie by Marc Bolan - simply because I love the song and I'd like to think of my nearest and dearest celebrating my life rather than mourning my passing. I'm having my ashes scattered into the sea somewhere in the North County because that's the place I love the most.

My aunt died abroad last year and we put some of her ashes into her parents' grave, and scattered the rest into the sea at Portmarnock because she loved that beach when she was young and lived here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Op, instead of asking what's possible and deciding, why not tell us what you want, and we'll try to tell you how to achieve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I am approaching the end of my time, so can anyone give me advice on where in NCD is the best place to be buried, cheapest, best church service, humanist service etc. There must be alot of people out there with experience. Is cremation better than burial, is glasnevin the only venue for that? Are there any private cementaries in the area? Does anyone do green coffins etc. Anyone had relatives scattered at sea or other scenic locations etc? Any local bye laws or permission needed etc.

Jeasus, was not expecting this type of thread. Firstly I hope your ok and just planning for years ahead. Well you know who I am and if your in need of any help and I can help I would be happy to help you.

As far as I know you can be buried anywhere once you get permission, (planning). There was a situation in Kerry a few years ago where someone's last wish was they wanted to buried on their own ground and they got their way. I am sure Fingal have by laws and it would be worth checking with them. There are eco coffins and a new graveyard is opening in Wexford, they have one in Donegal where you are buried, they put up a small placque and then plant a tree over your remains. So we are replanting our countryside with native trees.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that you give Joey your business - he can answer your questions. For free too I'd imagine.

To be honest with you - there is no real option to cut out the middleman. How would one get in the coffin, get from church/home/hospital to one's place of rest, etc?

I'd be interested to hear if burial plots have come down in price at the same rates as properties for the living.

I ran it by the guys in the legal discussion and no there isnt a law that you have to use undertakers to transport a body. Once I transport a body in a way not to offend people so that rules out Dublin Bus, the train or my car roof rack. So a man with a van job or on a backhaul should be grand. I think people just assume you have to use a Funeral director but you can have a quite a cheap DIY funeral with some planning. So happy days!

tbh wrote: »
    Op, instead of asking what's possible and deciding, why not tell us what you want, and we'll try to tell you how to achieve it?

Well I thought I might try doing a couple of trial runs before trying it out myself. Do you know if they allow Hindu type cremations in Ireland? I know they don't in the UK. I have a field I don't use and there is a growing Hindu community in Ireland so might be a way to fund my own, it be a nice way to go, liven it up for the attendies you know, people always like a good show. Cremated and spreading the ashes at the same time if the wind picks up so good time saving. I could see it becoming as popular as chocolate fountains were at weddings.

I ran it by the guys in the legal discussion and no there isnt a law that you have to use undertakers to transport a body. Once I transport a body in a way not to offend people so that rules out Dublin Bus, the train or my car roof rack. So a man with a van job or on a backhaul should be grand. I think people just assume you have to use a Funeral director but you can have a quite a cheap DIY funeral with some planning. So happy days!

I get the impression from reading your many posts that you are a very deep thinker, intelligent person. It aint often I compliment people so openly, but are you serious? I dont mean to doubt or question you but you have certainly got me and I would a few other thinking.

LeoB wrote: »
    I get the impression from reading your many posts that you are a very deep thinker, intelligent person. It aint often I compliment people so openly, but are you serious? I dont mean to doubt or question you but you have certainly got me and I would a few other thinking.

Well I always like to challenge the norm and you only have to look at the funeral business and notice how the same names crop up and they also own the private cementaries in Dublin so methinks that its very close to a monopoly and a DIY funeral option would be the best way to reduce this monopoly. Also help bring back that close family involvement that you still get in the country were the families still dig the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

are you having a laugh here or what?

how is this NCD related. this should be in after hours or something.

Well I always like to challenge the norm and you only have to look at the funeral business and notice how the same names crop up and they also own the private cementaries in Dublin so methinks that its very close to a monopoly and a DIY funeral option would be the best way to reduce this monopoly. Also help bring back that close family involvement that you still get in the country were the families still dig the grave.

Heard a good bit on the radio during the year about this and it does look like a monopoly. So can you apply to Fingal C.C. to turn your field into a family plot? I see nothing wrong with that.

Fogra, What about That man in Kenmare , who has brough his mother around Europe since mid October and has gone missing again. No sign of them anywhere now and it looks like they are gone to U.K with her in the car boot.

Martron wrote: »
    how is this NCD related. this should be in after hours or something.
    While the subject is a bit unusual for this forum, it is NCD-related in that Corsendonk is looking for advice on a place of rest in the area.

I personally have told my family that I'd like an eco coffin, a short service and to go into the crematorium thingy to the strains of I Love to Boogie by Marc Bolan - simply because I love the song and I'd like to think of my nearest and dearest celebrating my life rather than mourning my passing. I'm having my ashes scattered into the sea somewhere in the North County because that's the place I love the most.

You raise another interesting point, are there any churches in the area that have restrictions on what music you can play at funerals? Wasn't there a crack down on non-religious music.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Corsendonk,

You may find the information here very useful.

http://www.rip.ie/Page.asp?menu=186&page=632

It's a very good site....ehhh website that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

You raise another interesting point, are there any churches in the area that have restrictions on what music you can play at funerals? Wasn't there a crack down on non-religious music.

Maybe you're confusing that with what happened in Australia

As far as I know it is down to the discretion of the person conducting the service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I couldn't imagine any church allowing I Love to Boogie - I'm planning on having that played at the crematorium as I glide towards the curtain/hatch. I just want a bit of light relief, it's what you need at a funeral.

Corsendonk,

You may find the information here very useful.

http://www.rip.ie/Page.asp?menu=186&page=632

It's a very good site....ehhh website that is.

Thanks I checked that out but seems commercial, I did find some DIY sources abroad but perhaps posters in NCD know the local position on the following:

http://www.funeralhelper.org/sea-burial-i-buried-my-father-at-sea.html
    An account how to bury at sea using a concrete filled coffin, do I need permission? what would be a good spot? Best harbour to use?

http://www.funeralhelper.org/garden-burial.html
    A guide on how to bury a body in your back garden and how to tell the people who buy your house that you have a body in the back garden when you move out.
    Do FCC allow it?

Some Ideas on music at the funeral
    Extract Daily Telegraph 2009
    The top 10 "alternative" funeral songs UK:
    1. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Eric Idle / Monty Python
    2. Cabaret - Liza Minnelli
    3. Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye - Gracie Fields
    4. My Way - Sid Vicious
    5. They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa - Napoleon
    6. Fame! I Want To Live Forever - The cast of Fame
    7. We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals
    8. Going Underground - The Jam
    9. Spirit In The Sky - Dr and The Medics
    10. Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think - The Specials

Articles on Irish Funeral Costs for further reading why a DIY option might be good to try.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2010/04/26/funeral-costs-survive-recessions-deflationary-grip/
    Irish funeral costs have increased by 300% in a decade

Irish Times 2010 extract from the above article.
    The CAI says one of the main factors driving up burial costs is the lack of new entrants into the funeral parlour market. The CAI says much of the business in Dublin is divided up between a small number of families, although with many trading under different names, having taken over small competitors, it can be hard for people to see that two neighbouring businesses are actually run by the same family.

http://www.thepost.ie/archives/2008/0413/death-is-a-costly-business-31948.html

Eco friendly Graveyard- added advantage is for an eco friendly send off you dont need embalming as bad for the environment so a saving.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0810/1224276470746.html

I know a few who will have
    Great balls of Fire!!. Jerry Lee Lewis
    Ring of fire Johnny Cash
    Its Over - Roy Orbison.

This week members of Dail Eireann selected
    The only way is up

For the real belivers
    Welcome home - Peters and Lee

Most muslims pick
    Love on Delivery;) - Billy Ocean

But for you Cordensonk, some thing with a touch of class
    "My Way" Frank Sinatra:cool:

I would like a song with a chorus, with everyone giving it a good lash. I like singers from Luke Kelly, Christy Moore, Paddy Reilly, Maken and Clancy, Carole King, Peter, Paul and Mary, Judith Durham, James Taylor, Michael Buble, George Jones version of Good year for the roses, I also like Placido Domingo and John Denver doing "Perhaps Love"

Most important would be a bit of session afterwards in Maurs with songs like The Dutchman, Four green fields, Galtee Mountain Boy, Pretty little girl from Omagh, -(thats a long story)

The night would end with.............

Wait for it...........

POSTMAN PAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Hope you'll be ok- you'll find alot of info that your looking for here= http://www.humanism.ie/website/ceremonies/celebrating-a-life -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Lads, for those of you looking for cremation (in the future obviously!) you do realise that they don't fire up the ovens everyday? so after you go off through the curtain you get put into a transit van and sent down to storage until the next blaze. And then when you are cremated, they don't do you individually, they do a group together and if say there are 10 people cremated that day they just split the pile of ashes into 10 'portions' (for want of a better word!)

now none of this bothers some people, so grand. but a lot of people have a romanticised idea of what goes on. I used to like the idea of scattering my ashes, but when I found out that it would be about 1/10th me and 9/10th's other b****** floating on the wind put me off!

plus I have personally seen the transit that takes away the coffins in glasnevin! so it is what happens!

I do really like the idea of a humanist ceremony. My instructions have been that I am to go from the house to the hole - no stopping off in a church on the way. and a good old fashioned Irish wake with me slap bang in the middle. We had that for my mum and although some people cringe at having a 'corpse' in the house, it can actually be very theraputic as part of the grieving process and personally I preferred it to a funeral parlour.

I assume you could also maybe go the muslim route and forgo the coffin all together - they get wrapped in a shroud, so that would be really eco friendly. Perhaps ask out in clonskeagh how that works and what needs to be done.

I have also heard of people getting buried in forests and meadows purposely designated as burial sites, although I think they might have been in the UK.
    There must be some non-denominational cemetries though? surely?
    I mean there is an animal cemetry,so it stands to reason??

Little Ted wrote: »
    Lads, for those of you looking for cremation (in the future obviously!) you do realise that they don't fire up the ovens everyday? so after you go off through the curtain you get put into a transit van and sent down to storage until the next blaze. And then when you are cremated, they don't do you individually, they do a group together and if say there are 10 people cremated that day they just split the pile of ashes into 10 'portions' (for want of a better word!)

:eek: That doesn't sound good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

maybe its different in other parts of the country but thats how it is in glasnevin - which I think is one of the only places in North dublin to get cremated. but I'm open to correction on that...

• Advertisement

Little Ted wrote: »
    And then when you are cremated, they don't do you individually, they do a group together and if say there are 10 people cremated that day they just split the pile of ashes into 10 'portions' (for want of a better word!)
    What's your source for this "information" Little Ted?

Advertisement