Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection problems

Options
  • 07-11-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

So yesterday i got UPC. Set it up fine. Im on 15mb with phone and tv.
    Now all was well yesterday but today when i connected the xbox via wireless adapter something happened.

I can play xbox live no problem (strict NAT) but the two laptops and desktop ( all wirelessly connect) cannot connect properly anymore. They connect to the router but cannot access the internet or the network.

I think the problem may have occurred when i set up a Static IP. But i got rid of it because the xbox couldnt connect on a static IP or something.

Sorry if im being vague.

Im currently on my old internet connection accessing boards.ie

So to recap xbox live works but all other computers/laptops cannot access the internet.

Any help would be apprieciated as im kinda desperate for fast internet on my laptop :/

thanks Eoin

EDIT: Cisco EPC2425

EDIT2: Ok so i turned off the router for 5 mins and the xbox. turned back on the router and now it works on the laptop.... :? not sure if connecting the xbox again will shut me out...:( any1 shed any light on the situation.

Also would i be able to bridge the Cisco EPC2425 with my Belkin Modem router ADSL 2+ N+?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

E0inz wrote: »
    Also would i be able to bridge the Cisco EPC2425 with my Belkin Modem router ADSL 2+ N+?

Yes and no, mostly no. Never use a DSL router on a cable connection, it won't work the way you want it to.

As to why your computer connections go down when the Xbox is connected, I don't know. Possibly one of the settings on the modem. Log on to it and try disabling IP Flood Detection anyway, that tends to cause a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

Thanks for your reply,
    Good to know about the bridging.

Yeah i turned off Flood detection straight away yesterday as it would interfere with peer-to-peer.

Im gonna try a few things tomoro and see if i can get it too work. As long as i can get it back working on laptops in the end i dont mind trying things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

E0inz wrote: »
    I think the problem may have occurred when i set up a Static IP. But i got rid of it because the xbox couldnt connect on a static IP or something.

Did you setup static ip on your xbox or did u get static IP from UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is it possible that you've already bridged it and the routing is off so you're just getting the WAN IP on whatever device you first plug into the router?

you should be able to tell easily enough by doing an ipconfig at the command prompt and checking your IP address.

if it's using a private IP as it should be, it would normally be in the format of 192.168.x.x but if you're using a WAN IP it'll start with 89.x.x.x or 200.x.x.x (UPC may have other IP ranges, not sure off the top of my head).

Advertisement