Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a whisky please.

Options
  • 07-11-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Whats a good whisky to drink? I was thinking jameson 12 year old.
    And also whats a good bourbon whisky. Please recommend drinks I can find it most shops in Ireland. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

Greenspot is a nice Irish whiskey,can get it here http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/

There are a lot of good Irish whiskeys out there,just gotta spend that cash.Any of the Tyrconnell stuff is also good and some is very very good!

Scotch,I like the bowmore stuff or any of the Islay malts really,depends on your specific taste.

Woodford reserve is a great bourbon as is eagle rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

Thank you. What about the jameson i mentioned or wild turkey for bourbon? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

12 year Jemmy is lovely with a little water. Not mad pricey for a good whiskey.

Middleton is my drink of choice when someone else is paying.

Burbon is not my thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

wcp1200 wrote: »
    Whats a good whisky to drink? I was thinking jameson 12 year old.
    And also whats a good bourbon whisky. Please recommend drinks I can find it most shops in Ireland. Thanks

The Jemmie 12yo is not a bad place to start. However it would be nice to know what you have drank and liked before recomending anything.

In relation to American whiskey in all fairness there is not too much that is regularly available and you will need to go to somewhere like O'Briens to get even a few selections. Even seems to be very little choice in the Celtic Whiskey shop in relation to American whiskey at the mo.

Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof is a great one if you can get your hands on it.

Ok thanks guys. I think ill pick up some jameson to start.

• Advertisement

wcp1200 wrote: »
    Thank you. What about the jameson i mentioned or wild turkey for bourbon? Thanks

Sorry,yep the Jameson 12 year is a nice bottle,not sure on wild turkey to be honest.

Does any one know where I can get some crown royal?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Wild Turkey Rye is my favourite of the Wild Turkeys. Rittenhouse Rye is also good.

There's a few small batch bourbons available at the Celtic Whiskey Shop too for good prices, like the Four Roses. I hve not tasted it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Maker's Mark is a lovely Bourbon, as is the Beam small batch range. Of the latter, either try the Knob Creek for a real toffee/vanilla/honey honey flavour, or the Booker's for a bit more fire (it's about 63%, depending on which year it is). Cheaper decent Bourbons include the Beam Black label, Old Crow and Elijah Craig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Just for your info Irish distillers seem to be having some problems bringing in Wild Turkey, this is going on for the past two months or so. :(
    Not sure what exatctly is the problem as they seem to be just saying its unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

SteeveeDee wrote: »
    Sorry,yep the Jameson 12 year is a nice bottle,not sure on wild turkey to be honest.

Crested ten by jameson is really nice also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I'm Irish and buy Jameson and Powers but I have to say the nicest bottle I ever bought was in the duty-free and was a 12 year Glenfiddich (Scottish).

I know they can't spell Whiskey the right way but they sure can make a good one. You can buy them here in Irish off-licences but duty-free is a lot cheaper of course.

Agreed,highly underrated in my book.Oddly cheaper than normal Jameson but much nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Only about €24 at the moment in Dunnes, and Celtic Whiskey. Also saw Powers-12 (nice) for about €31/€32 in Dunnes and Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

SteeveeDee wrote: »
    Greenspot is a nice Irish whiskey,can get it here http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/

I'll second the Green Spot, I think it's a cracking whiskey.

I'd recommend Jura 10 year old (Origin is the brand name) as a decently priced but very good quality scotch. I prefer Jura Whisky's to Islay, they are just more balanced and smooth. It's personal preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Why not try a Redbreast 12 Year Old, it's made using a single pot still and imho is probably one of the best Irish Whiskey's out there.

Created Ten is also nice and is in the standard whiskey price range.

Another good one is the Midleton Single Cask 15738, Pure Pot Still, there are only a few hundred of these bottled a year, as they use a different single cask for each new yearly batch. http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/results/Midleton_Single_Cask_15738,_Pure_Pot_Still-z-product-recordid-16-context-searchresults-kw-Midleton%20Single%20Cask%20-search_countries-0-category-0-country-0-brand-0-distillery-0-page-1.htm

Advertisement