Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 mobile broadband = Sh1te

Options
  • 07-11-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

I have pay as you go mobile broadband with O2. The deal is 19.90euro for 30days or five gig download. The problem is it rarely lasts 10 days and i never down load. To be honest i have access to the net at work and rarely use it, yet it still runs out :(

Has anyone else noticed this??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

5Gb is a fair amount of data, clearly your downloading if your using this amount. Everything you do on the internet is a download.

Do you use p2p software, rapidshare, youtube, etc?

Just because your using 5GB quickly doesnt make O2 ****e, its clear if your using this much data you purchased a package unsuitable to your needs.

Mobile broadband is NOT a replacement for fixed line broadband like adsl or cable

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I get paid monthly but its usually gone by the time my next paycheck comes, my companys money is sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Do you use p2p software, rapidshare, youtube, etc?

Coming from a background selling mobile broadband, it's amazing the number of people I've encountered who didn't seem to understand what downloading involved, I remember one particular customer querying his massive (and I mean massive) bill, as he said he didn't browse the web much on it, when I asked did he use youtube at all his face brightened and he told me how great it was for playing music at home all day. He thought that since he wasn't saving anything he wasn't downloading anything. Unfortuantely he's not really an isolated incident

It might be worth getting some sort of software that monitiors all sites you are connecting to OP, it should give you an idea where your usage is going. Sorry haven't got any names for them but I imagine some firewalls will allow this.

(As I said I work for one of the mobile networks, but I'm only posting my own opinion here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gillo wrote: »
    He thought that since he wasn't saving anything he wasn't downloading anything. Unfortuantely he's not really an isolated incident

An unbelievable amount of people think exactly like that. I always ask them how they expect the bits to arrive on their computer if not by downloading. A blank expression is usually the result. But, but, I didn't download it to the disk... :rolleyes:
    Gillo wrote: »
    Sorry haven't got any names for them but I imagine some firewalls will allow this.

DUMeter is one that's I've used in the past. You can set up alerts for daily/weekly/monthly usage. O2 and Vodafone let you check your usage in your online account, though you get no warning about when you get close to the limit so you'd have to keep checking. Not sure whether Three and Meteor do the same, but I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, 5Gb is a substantial amount of data.

If it's always running out, then you need to figure out where you are using it. As previous posters have suggested, get some monitoring software and see where that data is being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ok please excuse my lack of computer lingo.
    On my broadband i can click into the connection and i can see two amounts of data, input and output, now if i was just viewing a webpage such as this one on boards both input and output are zero.

if i was viewing a youtube video they would both be up and down. Sometimes when I find the connection is slow, this figures go up to 700-800. Does this mean that my broadband is tring to find the signal, or would this affect the amount of data i am using ?

My housemate has 10gig on his broadband, He has never even gone close to his limit and he spends all day on it.

The only vids i watch are on youtube, or sometimes from free-tv-project, all are streamed. To be honest it seemed to last longer when I first got it.

Thanks for any feed back

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Streamiung videos especially the likes of Channel 4's 4OD will eat up a cap pretty quickly, for example a video 30min long can be 150MB when streamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Streamiung videos especially the likes of Channel 4's 4OD will eat up a cap pretty quickly, for example a video 30min long can be 150MB when streamed.

a friend of mine bought one of those internet radios.does streaming radio eat up the cap much?i would think not but id like to hear an opinion or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ok please excuse my lack of computer lingo.
    On my broadband i can click into the connection and i can see two amounts of data, input and output, now if i was just viewing a webpage such as this one on boards both input and output are zero.

Ignore that. The connection software's monitoring app is never that accurate. Check your usage through your online account. This is the only reliable source of usage info. Video on Youtube, or other websites, can vary in size, depending on the quality and length. a 4 minute music video in high def (1080), for example, would be over 100MB.
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    a friend of mine bought one of those internet radios.does streaming radio eat up the cap much?i would think not but id like to hear an opinion or two.

All depends on the bitrate that the the radio is streaming at, and how long you listen for. It will use up your allowance though. He will need to monitor is usage with the radio to see how much it's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the info guys :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement