Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray dog-what to do?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from people here. A stray dog turned up in our estate today-on the Celbridge Rd in Maynooth. He was spotted by one of our neighbours wandering round on the main road earlier and doesn't seem to have any road sense-he walked out in front of a van at one stage. Anyway, he showed up at our house and barked out the front to get in! Neighbours had seen him wandering around for a while.

He is a lovely friendly little fella and very affectionate. He's really skinny and has a cut on his nose and seems to be limping slightly.

We didn't have the heart to leave him outside with the bad weather coming so brought him in, washed him and gave him something to eat & drink. He was absolutely starving and really thirsty. He's curled up now asleep on an old blanket.

Anyway-what to do next? I was afraid to call the dog warden without getting advice first in case he would be put down if the owner can't be found. We are going to bring him to the vet tomorrow to see if he is chipped. He was wearing an old brown collar but it doesn't have a name on it. If he isn't chipped, what should I do next? We can't keep him indefinitely as we have another pet but I don't want to leave him in a pound for fear of what will happen to him if he's not claimed

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

First bring him to the vet to scan for a microchip.

If there's no chip then ring the local dog warden and report the dog has been found and give the warden the details. Also ring the local garda station and give the dogs details. Put notices up in the local shops.

You can put his details on a few of the websites to report him as a found dog www.lostandfound.ie and www.lostandfoundpets.ie

If you can't keep him I'd start ringing around your local charities and rescue centres to see if anyone can offer him a place.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi there, we had a thread like this just a few days ago, all the details are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080549

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

If the dog is injured and ill, bring him to the Dublin SPCA. they may be able to find him a foster home until they have space available, and then will be able to take him for re homing.
    http://www.dspca.ie/Contactus

Advertisement