Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running route in Lucan

Options
  • 07-11-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey,

Anybody got advice on a running route through/ around Lucan? I live in hermitage so that would be my starting point. Evenings have gotten very dark so I want to be safe enough runnnnig around... thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

If you can get down to the village Lucan Demense is absolutely stunning - theres a decent number of tracks and you can easily construct a route to suit your distance.

It is getting dark however, so maybe not an option in the evening, but morning and afternoon (when i usually go) are fantastic.

Just watch out for the squirrels, they're getting bolder and I'm sure they're trying to trip me up!.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Check out mapmyrun.ie. You can design a route from your house. PThere are a few lucan ones already on there if you feeling lazy.

As previous poster has said Lucan demense is good run but perhaps not one for a lady alone in the winter. Great if you running with someone though. Start in car park near mcdonalds and run across meadow and do loop of woods and back. Good 5-6 k run I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi;

I run a load of different routes in lucan.

I will give you a 5 mile and 5k course roughly for you.

For 5 miles:

Go up ballyowen road pass lidl and thru the lights. Go right at the next lights and following the road straight down go thru all roundabouts. At 4th roundabout go left and then right at the lights further on. You come down by superquinn and head stright to the village. head up towards woddies from village and back across bridge and your at hermitage.

5k one
    Go pass lidl thru the lights. At next lights go right and then right at roundabout. Next roundbaout go right again and straight thru the next two roundabouts and you come out by hermitage.

My best advice for you is to join Lucan Harriers Running club. We train every Tuesday on the track all different standards men and women, good social group. This is at 7pm.

On thursday 7pm they do a route around Lucan and on Sat morning some of the women head out and men go sunday morning.

Club is great, you meet loads of runners for what ever standard you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sinead jane keating

I have given up smoking !!!!!!4 weeks now..I want to start running but have never done running before ...I need advice on how and what I am suppose to do .Any advice welcome ......

My advice would be to buy a proper pair of trainers and get the couch to 5k app.

PS congrats on giving up the smokes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MsDarcy wrote: »
    Hey,

Anybody got advice on a running route through/ around Lucan? I live in hermitage so that would be my starting point. Evenings have gotten very dark so I want to be safe enough runnnnig around... thanks :)

A good one for you is to run along the Outer Ring Road, turn right onto Griffeen Avenue and then down onto Griffeen Road .. then along Esker Manor, uphill to Esker Glebe, along Esker Lane and Elmbrook Avenue and then turn down the Ballyowen Road.
    I did something similar when I tried the Couch to 5k programme and this worked perfectly for the distance. It's a decent route with minimal crossing of the road for traffic bar the very beginning and end.

EDIT: looks like Average_Runner has suggested the same route! :)
    Also, the Couch to 5k app is brilliant. I'd really recommend it.

I have given up smoking !!!!!!4 weeks now..I want to start running but have never done running before ...I need advice on how and what I am suppose to do .Any advice welcome ......

Look the couch to 5 k plan. Its great for starters.

Also have a target for yourself. There is 5k race in Lucan in May so that be a good starting point for you.

Once you can run 5k, come up to Lucan Harriers by Superquinn on a Tuesday night, someone there will look after you. Aload of all standard of women running there and they are friendly.

Heroditas wrote: »
    A good one for you is to run along the Outer Ring Road, turn right onto Griffeen Avenue and then down onto Griffeen Road .. then along Esker Manor, uphill to Esker Glebe, along Esker Lane and Elmbrook Avenue and then turn down the Ballyowen Road.
    I did something similar when I tried the Couch to 5k programme and this worked perfectly for the distance. It's a decent route with minimal crossing of the road for traffic bar the very beginning and end.

EDIT: looks like Average_Runner has suggested the same route! :)
    Also, the Couch to 5k app is brilliant. I'd really recommend it.

Amount of routes i know in Lucan at this stage is beyond reasoning :D

Actually griffeen park is a good spot when it gets brighter, can get 1.6 miles on a long loop in the that park !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sinead jane keating

ArthurG wrote: »
    My advice would be to buy a proper pair of trainers and get the couch to 5k app.

PS congrats on giving up the smokes!!
    what do you mean get the couch to 5k app.....Do I just turn up at the track on the night .....

Google couch to 5k or c25k - its a programme to get you from barely able to run across the lving room to grab the remote, to running a 30 minute 5km in 9 weeks. It works. Simply, you start off running for 30 seconds and walking for 2 minutes (or something like that, it's been a while since I did it), and you gradually work up the running time while reducing the walking.

If you have a smartphone you can get an app which helps with the programme - you listen to your music while jogging and it tells you when to run and walk.

There are a few threads about it on Boards too. I'd highly recommend it as someone who struggled to walk at a brisk pace for more than a few minutes before I started it.

• Advertisement

what do you mean get the couch to 5k app.....Do I just turn up at the track on the night .....

Yeah you just turn up before 7pm, maybe 6.50. You will see a crowd starting to gather soon after that. But i would recommend to be able to run 3-5k first.

The Couch to 5k program is a simple running program to start you off. You get on the web just google it. Go to Athletics forum under sports on boards. Ask all your questions there and we will answer everything for you, from simple to most unusual. We are a nice bunch, i swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Yeah you just turn up before 7pm, maybe 6.50. You will see a crowd starting to gather soon after that. But i would recommend to be able to run 3-5k first.

The Couch to 5k program is a simple running program to start you off. You get on the web just google it. Go to Athletics forum under sports on boards. Ask all your questions there and we will answer everything for you, from simple to most unusual. We are a nice bunch, i swear.
    Hi, I'm staying in the area for the next few months, would like to run w a group. Have done 10k, 10M 'races' etc. So, just turn up as you say above?
    Thanks.

mrpdap wrote: »
    Hi, I'm staying in the area for the next few months, would like to run w a group. Have done 10k, 10M 'races' etc. So, just turn up as you say above?
    Thanks.

Just come down o Tuesday night around 7. Ask someone to show u one of the coaches and explain ur staying for awhile.

Advertisement