Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A warning about "vegetarian" soup.

Options
  • 07-11-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I would just like to warn some people about this. I frequent a restaurant/bar that changes it's soup daily. Last week the soup was something I didnt recognise (turned out to be a vegetable I wasn't 100% sure of) so I asked the waitress to ask if it was vegetarian, she said it was def a vegetable but woudl ask to make sure. Turns out it wasnt vegetarian as teh chef used a chicken stock. On Friday again it was a vegetrian soup and a differnet waitress told me it was vegetarian and I asked her to check just in case and again it wasnt suitable for vegetarians as a chicken stock was used.
    I am as a result upset as I hardly every check when the vegtables are written as I assumed it was vegetarian, for example potato and leek etc. anyway now it seems I have to be anal every time I see a vegetarian soup on a menu and ask the vegetarian soup is indeed vegetarian. Has anyone else encountered this as a problem? just to say teh soup is written on a daily specials board and the pub doesnt ever use the v symbol so I wont know that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Alass it is a problem many of us veggies have encountered at some point. After asking around you generally find out what establishments are safe, and where you might not bother for the hassle of checking with the chef. It is a pity that the waitress was giving you conflicting information; I can only hope that she may have realised and will be more careful about what she tells customers in future.

For example, I went into every establishment in Unviersity College Dublin to find out the content of their soups recently, and luckily they were all veggie based, those that were meant to be. But years ago I remember in the Science restuarant that even the chef didn't know what was in the soup!!

Insomnia branches are great and always have an ingredient listing beside their soups. I don't really know about any other chains... With pub food you'd really have to ask every time. And it would depend on the chef working that day too.

Don't let it upset you too much. We have all been there and it is really frustrating. Hopefully you will get to know the local places that cater well for vegetarians, or perhaps you may convince you faulty local to change their ways! Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Coming up to my wedding I asked about the leek and potato soup being vegetarian and was told by the chef in no uncertain terms that a vegetable soup MUST be made with vegetable stock or have it clearly stated that it is a (for example) a leek potato and chicken soup.

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Whispered wrote: »
    Coming up to my wedding I asked about the leek and potato soup being vegetarian and was told by the chef in no uncertain terms that a vegetable soup MUST be made with vegetable stock or have it clearly stated that it is a (for example) a leek potato and chicken soup.

Is this true?

Nope, good restaurants will do it but it's by no means a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Nearly every day I come across so-called veggie options in restaurants such as pasta with parmesan cheese.

The ignorance annoys the hell out of me.

It was offered in a high class hotel for a wedding I was going to before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Ireland is very strange when it comes to vegetarianism. Outside the Pale forget it, if it comes up that you are a vegetarian you are stared at like you were a paedophile and that you cannot be trusted. I am quietly veggie for over twenty years now and It still amazes me how people react, last weekend I asked a waitress in a restaurant in Co Monaghan what the vegetarian option mentioned on the menu was...

"Chicken" she replied in all seriousness,

When I pointed out that it was meat she replied with indignation that it wasn't meat,

Its poultry...
    I give up.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Ireland is very strange when it comes to vegetarianism. Outside the Pale forget it, if it comes up that you are a vegetarian you are stared at like you were a paedophile and that you cannot be trusted. I am quietly veggie for over twenty years now and It still amazes me how people react, last weekend I asked a waitress in a restaurant in Co Monaghan what the vegetarian option mentioned on the menu was...

When I pointed out that it was meat she replied with indignation that it wasn't meat,

Its poultry...
    I think this one deserves some kind of nomination, if only because it's not fish for once. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think it's good that you do ask about the soup OP as most times they are probably not trying to trick you for whatever reason, it's just simple ignorance. My housemate offered to cook a veggie meal for me this evening and had to ask me about putting chicken stock in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Humans eh! wrote: »

Its poultry...

Sligo and Galway are grand! Its the small towns and their 'carvery' menu on Sundays that's the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I never trust soup in a non-veg restaurant. Had a lovely carrot and corriander soup in Earth (mostly vegan place) in Manchester yesterday though!

What actually possesses chefs to do this though? I mean I know stock is made from leftovers, but surely there's always vegetable leftovers as well as meat?

I'm always amazed at the amount of chefs who don't seem to understand a relatively simple diet-related concept like vegetarianism. I mean food is how they make their living, and presumably for a lot of them it's their passion, but instead of embracing the challenge of different diets and putting their skills to the test, many just don't seem bothered. If they took the same attitude towards food allergies they'd know all about it very quickly...

• Advertisement

flikflak wrote: »
    I never trust soup in a non-veg restaurant. Had a lovely carrot and corriander soup in Earth (mostly vegan place) in Manchester yesterday though!

I got a splinter of a nail in my carrot and coriander soup in Roly's Café. When I sent it back the chef said that it was a coriander stalk... I've been a vegetarian for six years, I know what the texture of vegetables stalks are like. Couldn't believe it.

I got a splinter of a nail in my carrot and coriander soup in Roly's Café. When I sent it back the chef said that it was a coriander stalk... I've been a vegetarian for six years, I know what the texture of vegetables stalks are like. Couldn't believe it.
    To be fair, I don't think that's really a vegetarian issue. It certainly is a hygiene issue though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Thanks guys. The place seems to have two different chefs as one heard me asking one day and made an effort to make me something nice (fried brie and it was yum). It is just so annoying as I am now worried I have eaten soup there with chicken stock as like I said teh waitress told me they were vegetarian. to think I used to get annoyed when they had "meat" soups on teh menu with none for me.
    looks like I will have to be anal and ask every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Breezer wrote: »
    What actually possesses chefs to do this though? I mean I know stock is made from leftovers, but surely there's always vegetable leftovers as well as meat?

I'm always amazed at the amount of chefs who don't seem to understand a relatively simple diet-related concept like vegetarianism. I mean food is how they make their living, and presumably for a lot of them it's their passion, but instead of embracing the challenge of different diets and putting their skills to the test, many just don't seem bothered. If they took the same attitude towards food allergies they'd know all about it very quickly...
    Meat is worth more than veg.. The way a lot of chefs think (or are told to work) is that you use the meat (Use it all, as much as is possible!).. And if you need anything for extra then use the veg..

seanor3 wrote: »
    Meat is worth more than veg.. The way a lot of chefs think (or are told to work) is that you use the meat (Use it all, as much as is possible!).. And if you need anything for extra then use the veg..
    I'm the first to admit that money goes over my head, but even still: if you have both meat left over and veg left over, I don't see how putting meat stock in veg soup would be of economic benefit. The soup will still sell for the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

thanks guys! The cream of veg soup yesterday and the veg soup they day before wasnt suitable. it's not chicken stock he (the chef) it;s chicken something else which I assume is like a stock. the exact name escapes me. I am quite annoyed as I have been using this place in months (a Dublin pub) and have never asked was the vegetable soup suitable for vegetarians so by default have eaten soup that had chicken something in it.
    Is there something I can do about this? apart from complaining. is it against any food laws etc? I cannot believe that when looking at restaurants now on even if it says vegetarian/
    vegetable I have to ask explicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Insomnia branches are great and always have an ingredient listing beside their soups. I don't really know about any other chains...

I was getting their soups for awhile there because they had the little sign beside it with the "ingredients".
    A few weeks ago I was getting the same soup I usually got (lentil one) but the little sign wasn't there, so I asked the girl behind the counter was it the same soup as before, she took out this little folder with all their different soups' ingredients and there were a good few more ingredients on the actual list than they had on the little sign. It had butter in it all along (I'm vegan).
    The sign was just listing the main ingredients.

VERY annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

there were a good few more ingredients on the actual list than they had on the little sign. It had butter in it all along (I'm vegan).
    The sign was just listing the main ingredients.

VERY annoying

Aw now :( I chatted to them in Insomnia. I thought I had the story straight.

“The Soup Café” (www.soupcafe.ie) provide Insomnia with all of their soups and the labels for those soups. I am surprised that these are just the 'main ingredients' on the label. Very odd. What's the point in listing these ingredients then?!

Just today I was in a bingo hall (lol) and I was looking at the curry (for chips) and I just happened to ask the girl if it had a meat stock and she told me it was chicken. I wouldn't have asked before but I will always, always ask again. The condiments all said they 'may contain shellac, fish or eggs' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Aw now :( I chatted to them in Insomnia. I thought I had the story straight.

“The Soup Café” (www.soupcafe.ie) provide Insomnia with all of their soups and the labels for those soups. I am surprised that these are just the 'main ingredients' on the label. Very odd. What's the point in listing these ingredients then?!

I've no idea, I guess they presume little things like a bit of butter or milk here and there aren't going to make much difference to people. Most being vegetarian rather than vegan. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

On the subject of upsetting soups, I not only have to ask if they're meat free, but dairy free too (I'm not actually a vegan, just a lactose intolerant vegetarian.. >_> ) and I *always* get funny looks.

I got mushroom soup in college and was really ill after it. I'd asked, and been told it was dairy free, and meat free. The following week I asked again and this time was told there was butter AND milk in it, and they weren't sure if meat stock had been used or not.

SO ANNOYING.
    Just today I was in a bingo hall (lol) and I was looking at the curry (for chips) and I just happened to ask the girl if it had a meat stock and she told me it was chicken. I wouldn't have asked before but I will always, always ask again. The condiments all said they 'may contain shellac, fish or eggs' too.

:O

I always just assumed curry sauce was powder and water. Eughhhhh gawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I don't agree with what the OP appears to be saying in that vegetable soup should be vegetarian. Now if it were vegetarian soup that would be an entirely different kettle of fish... I do however wholeheartedly agree that it should say on the menu whether or not it is vegetarian. So many people are vegetarian and they shouldn't have to ask the waiter every single time they eat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

bythewoods wrote: »
    On the subject of upsetting soups, I not only have to ask if they're meat free, but dairy free too (I'm not actually a vegan, just a lactose intolerant vegetarian.. >_> ) and I *always* get funny looks.

I got mushroom soup in college and was really ill after it. I'd asked, and been told it was dairy free, and meat free. The following week I asked again and this time was told there was butter AND milk in it, and they weren't sure if meat stock had been used or not.

SO ANNOYING.

If you have a doctors note, or you went to the hospital, you might be able to make a case out of that. A restaurant lies about what they have in their food and you are allergic to it? If it was peanuts or shellfish, you could have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If you have a doctors note, or you went to the hospital, you might be able to make a case out of that. A restaurant lies about what they have in their food and you are allergic to it? If it was peanuts or shellfish, you could have died.

Well, I'm not allergic, just intollerent. So I won't exactly die, just feel awful!
    Heh, and I actually bought the soup in the, eh, student centre in a hospital!

It's no biggie, I'll just go ahead and always remember to bring lunch now tbh. Still annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Strangely enough, I was at a college ball recently in Carlow (proper fancy one at that) and the menu had only meat dishes for mains and a muchroom soup for starters. The hotel staff were taking the meal orders and I told them I was vegetarian, and asked about the soup/stock etc and thankfully it was all good (best soup I've ever had too), and they even done a plate of chips and vegetables for me seeing as that was an alternative:)

Sometimes you will stumble across a place that caters to your needs, not easy to find them, but oh so worth it when you do :D

Strangely enough, I was at a college ball recently in Carlow (proper fancy one at that) and the menu had only meat dishes for mains and a muchroom soup for starters. The hotel staff were taking the meal orders and I told them I was vegetarian, and asked about the soup/stock etc and thankfully it was all good (best soup I've ever had too), and they even done a plate of chips and vegetables for me seeing as that was an alternative:)

Sometimes you will stumble across a place that caters to your needs, not easy to find them, but oh so worth it when you do :D
    I think most decent places will do up something. Kudos to the Citywest Hotel for catering for vegans recently. I emailed them a couple of days in advance and they assured me it wouldn't be a problem. Got a nice tofu salad. The only problem was it wasn't that filling, but I do tend to have a pretty big appetite, I don't think the chicken they were serving the meaties would've filled me either... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I was in the Clarion Hotel, Liffey Valley on Saturday night at one of their christmas party nights, 5 course meal.

Spoke to the manager when we sat down as he came over to confirm something with one of the girls at our table. He said no worries, we'll sort you out.
    Starter 1: Caeser salad: asked for one minus bacon and chicken. BRought out one with bacon...manager gave out to waitress and said I told you vegetarian...got a fresh one straight away.
    Starter 2: Veggie soup: manager confirmed veg stock all ok! yummeh!
    Main: Had a thai green curry...amazin!
    Desert: didn't eat it!

Never felt so catered for at a silver service function before, manager went above and beyond to make sure everything was ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dublin Vegetarian Reviewer

Glad that you enjoyed your meal at the Clarion. Don't you think, though, that if the manager really was catering to vegetarians that an extra conversation with him wouldn't have been necessary? I mean, there would have plenty of veggie options already on the menu if that were the case. I personally object to asking managers/chefs to put together meals for me --- they are being paid to think about the menu. If I wanted to think about how to cook a meal I'd stay at home and do just that and not go out and pay professionals who should have done the planning for vegetarians in advance. How many times have I been told "we'll cook whatever you want" --- erm, but part of what I'm paying for in a restaurant in the chef's creativity and I don't epxect to have to design a menu for a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Glad that you enjoyed your meal at the Clarion. Don't you think, though, that if the manager really was catering to vegetarians that an extra conversation with him wouldn't have been necessary? I mean, there would have plenty of veggie options already on the menu if that were the case. I personally object to asking managers/chefs to put together meals for me --- they are being paid to think about the menu. If I wanted to think about how to cook a meal I'd stay at home and do just that and not go out and pay professionals who should have done the planning for vegetarians in advance. How many times have I been told "we'll cook whatever you want" --- erm, but part of what I'm paying for in a restaurant in the chef's creativity and I don't epxect to have to design a menu for a restaurant.

It may not have been, but this meal was already an option, although it wasn't printed on the small menu, it was an option, I just had to ask him and he made sure I got it. I don't see the point in objecting to be honest, you either ask or you go hungry. Most chefs are capable of making a vegetarian dish, but don't think about putting it on the menu. They will have something they can make and have planned to make most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dublin Vegetarian Reviewer

kellief wrote: »
    I don't see the point in objecting to be honest, you either ask or you go hungry. Most chefs are capable of making a vegetarian dish, but don't think about putting it on the menu. They will have something they can make and have planned to make most of the time.

I see your point, however, my personal preference is not to support restaurants which provide vegetarian meals as an afterthought.

Advertisement