Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive on network..

Options
  • 07-11-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Recently set up a proper home network and the final piece of the puzzle was adding an external hard drive through the usb connection on the router. Heres my problem.. While i can read/access all the content on the hard drive through the network, I cant remove, add or change any content on the hard drive. I checked the permissions and the folders are all read only so i have tried change the permissions to allow full control to the users in the house but I cant even change these.. I also plug the hard drive directly into laptop and changed the permissions but they default back once it back on the network.. any help or suggestions much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you might have setup a full access to the folders only, you have to apply it for the folders, sub folders and files within the folders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jimsters

hi - thanks for the suggestion, i tried it but still the same. When trying to amend detail - even just renaming folder - it says file or folder does not exist. Obviously it does as the content was on the hard driver before connecting to the network. I have even tried adding a new folder which i did, but I couldnt even set or rename this folder :mad:

I have also accessed the router settings and could not see anything permissions etc for added devices... so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Do you have telnet or ssh access to your router? If this sounds like gobblegook to you, you probably better reading up on this in some HowTo guide of your router.

But here are the basics: your router is 99.99% running a version of Linux. Windows compatibility is provided by a set of programs collectively called Samba. You can get 'into' your router by command line by using a telnet or ssh program to modify your settings directly. Usually drives are in /mnt or /media. And samba in /etc/samba

Let me know if this goes to quickly but please try to read up on this stuff on some forum about your router.

Advertisement