Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunderland Home - Match Thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

BAE getting stick, theres a surprise...:rolleyes:

Some things will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Also, can't understand what bentley did tonight to deserve stick, we know he's no pace and can't beat his man but I though he did well tonight and he linked up well with Hutton. There's no point in looking for an early ball into the box when first Pav then Crouch were winning ball in the middle of the park and still busting a gut to get into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donspur

im sick of gallas

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Don't know why he gets so much stick myself? Sure he's a bit erratic but more often than not he's one of our better players, both at the back and getting forward.

If anything i enjoy the unpredictability of his play, seems fitting for the Club!

Ekotto that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Some things will never change.

Why are you shocked? Do you actually rate him?

• Advertisement

Also, can't understand what bentley did tonight to deserve stick, we know he's no pace and can't beat his man but I though he did well tonight and he linked up well with Hutton. There's no point in looking for an early ball into the box when first Pav then Crouch were winning ball in the middle of the park and still busting a gut to get into position.

It's not just tonight, the bloke has done jack for us in general. Several times, he has had chances to perform and has consistently strolled around the pitch not trying a leg. He has never put in any sort of effort in my eyes to warrant any more chances.

Jenas , who I am not a huge fan of, works hard and runs around and shows plenty of effort, Bentley shows nothing.

It sickens me to see him in a Spurs jersey.

You may feel I am being too harsh, but I have made my mind up on him and it wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

In fairness, I thought he had a very good first half but I honestly thought that Kranjcar was the change to make for Bentley when nothing was going right from the 70th minute onwards.

And I honestly thought that BAE was one of the best on the pitch tonight. I must have been watching a completely different game to the rest.

Why are you shocked? Do you actually rate him?

Yes I do rate him. As I said in another thread recently, there are not too many good left fulls around, and I actually think he is one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

ridiculous defending for their goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Jenas- another man that has played well this season and now finds himself in the cold. He can play right wing too instead of bentley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Yes I do rate him. As I said in another thread recently, there are not too many good left fulls around, and I actually think he is one of the better ones.

he's a weak link hatch , he cant defend for $hit

BERBA wrote: »
    he's a weak link hatch , he cant defend for $hit

Yes, he has made errors, I cant defend that, but he has done well over the last 12/18 months for me. I think it's central defence is were we cant defend at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Yes, he has made errors, I cant defend that, but he has done well over the last 12/18 months for me. I think it's central defence is were we cant defend at the minute.

Well, fair enough - but I tend to recoil every time I see him on the ball. Absolutely agreed on the central defence, I'm generally fed up with the entire defence in all at the moment. If we spend in the window, it HAS to be on defenders if only to cover our inevitable injury crisis in the back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

2 points out of the last 12. A bad run of form indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

potentially if city and arsenal win their games tomorrow night , the gap to 4th spot is 7 points already , big gap after only 12 games

Anyone who blames BAE for tonight hasn't a clue about football IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thought I'd a longer reply posted but never happened

I'd rate Bassong ahead of both Gallas and Kaboul. I know he played in a few poor games at the start of this season but I cant remember him being personally responsible for any goals. I thought he was great last year also and I dont know why he has slipped down the pecking order so easily. Especially since Kaboul has been so flaky.

Thought BAE and Gomes were off form tonight. Wouldnt swop BAE for anyone though. However, Kaboul and Bentley both think they are racehorses when they are closer to donkeys. They way Bentley ducked out of all 50/50s surely cant sit well with those defending him. If we need to move to the next level (CL and challenging for top four in the same season) we need a few more players. For all the talk of strength in depth, few enough options on the bench today. I suppose the luck of Danny Rose was with us last year but not this season. We wouldnt have scored if we had another half hour.

[QUOTE=Hatch99;68941168

You may feel I am being too harsh, but I have made my mind up on him and it wont change.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people judge bentley on more than 90mins, tonight he played well and if we had any sort of decent movement up font he'd have options in the box to pick out. There's no point getting the ball out wide quick witha Hutton overlap if there's nobody in the box.
    Cianan2 wrote: »
    In fairness, I thought he had a very good first half but I honestly thought that Kranjcar was the change to make for Bentley when nothing was going right from the 70th .

In fairness, kranky was dog**** at RM on Saturday.

i for one am not blaming BAE for last night, i mean how can you? the goal came from a mess up by gallas and kaboul, most probably gallas in my opinion cos he thinks he is top dog

bae is not the best full back in the league, but also he is far from the worst. he has great games and average games, very rarely a very poor game to be honest. he put a few bad balls down the wing last night looking for bale but you cant blame him for the goal

as great as vdv is , im wondering if playing 4-5-1 un balancing the side?

Think that we need to adapt our formation to get VdV on the ball as much as possible. Bentley had a chance to pass to him 8 yards out in space in the box but chose to go for the goal himself. (about 15 mins in I would think) Its that sort of brain deadedness that gets Bentley stick.

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »
    Think that we need to adapt our formation to get VdV on the ball as much as possible. Bentley had a chance to pass to him 8 yards out in space in the box but chose to go for the goal himself. (about 15 mins in I would think) Its that sort of brain deadedness that gets Bentley stick.

yeah and he did it time and time again, from demanding to take the free kicks to shooting from 40 yards out on his left peg. it was cringe viewing at times,

when he got the ball he was either going to plod down the right wing unable to even get a yard of space from the full back due to his lack of pace so he would play it back to hutton and let hutton do the rest

or else he would cut it and drive it a mile over the bar.

it was his first game in a long time , he should have done the simple things nice and easy and kept his head down and worked hard , but he couldnt do that, he had to go for glory time and time again even when the crowd were on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

mickman wrote: »
    i for one am not blaming BAE for last night, i mean how can you? the goal came from a mess up by gallas and kaboul, most probably gallas in my opinion cos he thinks he is top dog

bae is not the best full back in the league, but also he is far from the worst. he has great games and average games, very rarely a very poor game to be honest. he put a few bad balls down the wing last night looking for bale but you cant blame him for the goal

as great as vdv is , im wondering if playing 4-5-1 un balancing the side?

Mickman I have to agree with you on this one. Playing VDV off Crouch in a 4-5-1 is unbalancing the team. VDV drops deep to pick up the ball leaving only Crouch up front. The problem is our 2 CMs do not get forward enough- How many goals have Luka and Hudd got? I only saw the second half last night but Luka was very poor. He keeps giving the ball away or gets knocked off it to easily. I don't know of that tackle from Cattermole affected him but his distribution was not up to scratch. Bale never took the RB on but we will have to put that down to fatigue last night. Bentley was useless and his freekick near the end of the game was shocking.

Harry has his work cut out now that Defoe is returning soon. His preference was always Crouch and Defoe but wher does that leave Vdv. At the moment he is undroppable so who gets some rest? If he goes back to 4-4-2 - Bale, Modric, Lennon or Hudd will have to make way for VDV.

If Harry sticks with 4-5-1 does that mean Crouchie gets dropped? For all you Crouch haters out there, how many goals has he set up for VDV this season?

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Haven't read the rest any of the above posts but I thought Bentley was to blame for our goal. Gave away the ball (for the umteenth time) in a dangerous area but that dosen't excuse the total shít that went on between the two centre halfs, fcuking disgraceful that one of them couldn't at least stop the bloody ball.... I can only imagine what Harry must have said to them at full time... Hopefully now Bassong will get a run in the team until Daws/King comes back. Was so mad last night with the way in which we conceeded that goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Oh yeah, we are in desperate need of Defoe back, and we really, really need to get a replacement (or some one better) in the next transfer window. As much as I like Crouch, he just cannot be the only striker on the pitch on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Bentley should hate had a penalty, and the goal wasn't deserved, should have been 2-0 at the very least.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Bentley should hate had a penalty, and the goal wasn't deserved, should have been 2-0 at the very least.

i dont know the rules with penaltys etc but bentley was going down before contact was made. the ref saw it then as a dive. if he stayed on his feet, he would have been brought down and it would have been a defintate peno but webb saw the dive and gave a card. its a grey area but i think the ref was right

bentley prob didnt want to wait for the challenge cos his hair might have fallen out of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mickman wrote: »
    i dont know the rules with penaltys etc but bentley was going down before contact was made. the ref saw it then as a dive. if he stayed on his feet, he would have been brought down and it would have been a defintate peno but webb saw the dive and gave a card. its a grey area but i think the ref was right

bentley prob didnt want to wait for the challenge cos his hair might have fallen out of place
    I dunno, I remember Gerrard diving in the opening game against sheff utd a few years ago, and the referee gave it and said afterwards it was about the defenders intent.

He went to take him out, so it was a penalty.

i dunno, I thought it should have been a peno myself.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I dunno, I remember Gerrard diving in the opening game against sheff utd a few years ago, and the referee gave it and said afterwards it was about the defenders intent.

He went to take him out, so it was a penalty.

i dunno, I thought it should have been a peno myself.

it depends on the ref i suppose but i dont think giving decisions can be about "intent". if someone makes a foul then its a free. if tom huddlestone runs the length of the pitch to cream someone but dosent do it after, can he be pulled up on his "intent"

Our goal was a clear handball. Cant just complain about the ref when decisions go against Spurs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement