Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Hotel New Ross in flames!!!

Options
  • 07-11-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

i was over town about an hour ago and as i came around the corner by the old bridge here was the royal hotel going up in flames!!! luckily the fire crew and cops were quick on the scene and got it out but i wouldnt say theres much left inside as you could see the floors collapsing down in flames!! and while i was standing there with the crowd 3 lads in there early 20's which i know (but wont name for obvious reasons) were standing a bit away and i could over hear them laughing and joking about it saying its amazing what 2 euro of petty can do, and then 1 was saying he hopes the cameras at the hotel werent working!! i dont know weather to say it to the guards or weather to leave it, theyd hardly be bragging like that if they had really done it would they?? im a bit confused on what to do...... any advice lads??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Wait until the investigators are finished their work. They will discern fairly quickly if an accelerant was used, and you will then hear on the news that Gardai are treating the fire as suspicious. Then you go to the Guards with your info.

More than likely they were just bragging. Most arsonists will watch their handy work but they tend to normally work alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

well see i dont think they were just bragging because where i was standing they couldnt see me so as far as they were concerned nobody could hear them, but a few mins later they did notice me but didnt say anything thats why i dont know what i should do now as if i tell the guards they will know it was me and if they do somthing like that god knows what they could do to my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You simply must notify the authorities of the whereabouts of these malicious arsonists immediately, who know when or where they will strike again and maybe precious life may be lost next time.

You must do your part for your community/planet.

i know i should, and i would without a doubt if they just hadnt of seen me, like these lads know me and are always in trouble with the cops and i know if i say anything they'll know it was me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Don't worry about it for the moment, just wait and see what the Gardai do in the meantime. Only if they appeal for assistance do you go forward.

Also make a note, if you can remember, of what these guys were wearing.

They won't know it was you, if they are constantly in trouble in the local area then it is not a huge surprise that the Gardai would question them about this incident. Anyway you can give your tip off anonymously so that you won't be called to give evidence.

I would also suggest you stop posting here about this as it won't be too hard for these guys to do a simple google search and come across this thread and then build up a profile on you from previous posts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 biddy56

hey there the gardi were saying it was started on purpose i would not keep it to myself the scumbags that did this need to be reported and they could think it was a number of people who saw them and as far as they are concerned those cameras could have being working dont hesitate tell on those ****heads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

germanator wrote: »
    i know i should, and i would without a doubt if they just hadnt of seen me, like these lads know me and are always in trouble with the cops and i know if i say anything they'll know it was me

It's fairly easy to find this thread

It might not be a bad idea to contact a mod and my post, your own and any others about your story deleted

That's if you wanted

i know yeah, they might think someone else heard or mabey the cams were workin, is say what im gonna do is leave it for a few days and then if there not found out by then ill go to the cops or even make an annonymous call about it.... ah im sure the 3 of them wouldnt be on here anyway so its ok but if someone else seen them or anything aswell as me and reports them first all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

jaysus, maybe now they will pick up the pace on knocking it down.

they should anyway, its a waste having it just lying there....... does anyone know why it ever closed in the first place? i thought the place was always doing good buisness as it was the only nightclub in the town!

• Advertisement

they should anyway, its a waste having it just lying there....... does anyone know why it ever closed in the first place? i thought the place was always doing good buisness as it was the only nightclub in the town!

it used to do great business, but went severely downhill after they done up the bar and stuff, it was just one open room it looked awful i thought. Wouldn't really call it a nightclub though.

well i know but i suppose its the closest ross ever had to one ;) i remember the time they brought in that dress code i went in a few times and the place was empty, they got rid of it then again i think didnt they? i do remember it was definitly a nicer place to be before they did it up, the disco part anall was layed out better i thought

friend told me this morning the hotel's being knocked today.

Apparently the surrounding area was evacuated yesterday, one of the walls of the hotel had become unstable after the fire damage.

i seen the outside wall on the top floor at the side of the hotel was bulging out before but i think it was fixed??do you know if theres any pics of inside the hotel anywhere on the net? id like to see inside again it must be near 10 years since i was in there :(

i seen the outside wall on the top floor at the side of the hotel was bulging out before but i think it was fixed??do you know if theres any pics of inside the hotel anywhere on the net? id like to see inside again it must be near 10 years since i was in there :(

nah i was lookin earlier myself and couldnt find any.

but there is photos of the ard ri in waterford and loftus hall floating around on the interweb. its sad to say that loftus is in a better state than the ard ri.

we have a page up amd running on fb its called remember the colusseum night club if ye want to join it guys iv asked people to hunt out pictures of the hotel of they have any, its so sad what happened to it i worked there for years and was a big part of my life hope they catch who done it apparently they had 2 guys in custody yesterday :D

do you know what their doing with it now? ive heard their going to knock it then ive heard another few people say they can do work on it to make it safe and keep it there?

do you know what their doing with it now? ive heard their going to knock it then ive heard another few people say they can do work on it to make it safe and keep it there?

afaik, they are knocking it, i dont think they have a choice.

It's planned to be knocked anyway so why bother spending unneccisarily to make it safe?

but wasnt the permission to knock it refused by the council a few weeks ago?

afaik wat was refused was the proposed car park at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

still standing - total gridlock in town as a result

1966 wrote: »
    still standing - total gridlock in town as a result

yesterday was hell cuz of de fire in mary street dat was also closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its crazy now altogether - you can't even walk from North St to John St.

I've had to drop people off at Portovino from Spiders , and had to drive around to Mannions and back in Cherries Road .

Crazy stuff.

A few stones fall from a wall on Creywell and they close the road for 6 months .

A few stones fall from a wall at Mountgarret Castle and they restrict traffic for 2 years .

A small fire on Mary street and it affects traffic flow on Mary St and Barrack Lane

Even the street lights are not working on the Quay last few nights .

Its crazy now altogether - you can't even walk from North St to John St.

I've had to drop people off at Portovino from Spiders , and had to drive around to Mannions and back in Cherries Road .

Crazy stuff.

A few stones fall from a wall on Creywell and they close the road for 6 months .

A few stones fall from a wall at Mountgarret Castle and they restrict traffic for 2 years .

A small fire on Mary street and it affects traffic flow on Mary St and Barrack Lane

Even the street lights are not working on the Quay last few nights .

Its ridiculous sure. although the street lights have been like that for a long while, which just makes it worse like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Yet they have signs at the ring-road for detour, and John street car park is open???

Havent driven into the town since the detour was put up, taking the ring road now instead.

Its depressing driving through New Ross to be honest. Lack of parking has made it a gateway to Waterford, passing traffic rarely stops in New Ross. Its sad that the Royal/Hotel New Ross burned down but it wasnt very attractive in its delelict state either. Should be knocked down immediately and a car park put in.

crazy is not the word guys all the small business,s along north street and john street are finding it hard enough at this time of year to keep going but with the streets closed its impossible for them iv a sister who owns a business along there and all she can do is sit and wait this has put a huge black mass over ross as if our town was not bad enough before this :mad:

As I type this , the Royal Hotel is been demolished .

It will be flattened within the next 2 hours

yes its gone now :( i was up at the back of the hotel yesterday when they started knocking the disco part, and from what i could see it looked the exact same as it ever did, all the overhead disco lights, the dj box, the bar, some of the seats, looked like it only closed the night before :( i just remember'd yesterday that the disco name was changed to (LIFE) shortly before it closed down wasnt it? it was wrote on the dj box and wall

Its possible it was called 'Life '-

Last time I was there I got a box in the jaw , and only for the bouncers arrived , i'd say one of us would be doing 'life ' .......lol

The extra daylight on North Street is great - you can actually see the difference , now that it has been flattened .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ryanrod

You can see it being demolished here.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/draugas11#p/a/u/0/nNqLU09D2V4

I remember I brought my wife to a disco there, it was her first time there. She went to the bar and a guy got headed in the face straight in front of her and split open, bad first impression! Had some good times there though. Pity to see it go the same way as Murphy Floods.

Advertisement