Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desiccant use in gun safes

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Would most members recommend the use of Desiccants in gun safes? I have heard all kinds of opinion on the use of Desiccants in gun safes. Some say they are vital for removing moisture and preventing rust. Others say they will dry the air too much and can effect wooden stocks. Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I use VP 90 sachets and net pouches filled with silica crystals. Though I don't have fancy wood stocks so I'm not bothered about it too much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If your safe is in the house and the house is warm then no you don't need to use them. But surely the idea is to NEVER put a wet gun in the safe in the first place.
    I would always dry my rifles if they got wet before putting them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

clivej wrote: »
    If your safe is in the house and the house is warm then no you don't need to use them. But surely the idea is to NEVER put a wet gun in the safe in the first place.
    I would always dry my rifles if they got wet before putting them away.

Fully agree.
    The timber on stocks is dried and sealed by vegetable oil - a dessicant would not have much impact on it. However, a dessicant needs to be checked regularly as it will pull in moisture from outside the safe which can given a rapid temperature change then condense on the cold surfaces inside the safe, including gun metal. Only on very rare occasions would you need a dessicant in Ireland. If you really are concerned about damp put a 20watt bulb in and have it on a timer - on for a few hours, off, on, etc.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont even bother buying the fancy dessicant boxes or whatever.Just go to a bunch of HI FI or computor stores and ask if they have any of the dessicant satchels in their old packaging.The stuff is put in with electronics/cameras/Hi Fi /Tvs etc .Got all mine for free.Just dump a half dozen packets in the floor of the safe and you are good to go.Nice thing about them is,in seperate packages,you can see if there is any specific point where there is dampmess in the safe,by which package is swelling up or not.To dry them,just put them in an oven for about 10 mins on medium.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Dont even bother buying the fancy dessicant boxes or whatever.Just go to a bunch of HI FI or computor stores and ask if they have any of the dessicant satchels in their old packaging.The stuff is put in with electronics/cameras/Hi Fi /Tvs etc .Got all mine for free.Just dump a half dozen packets in the floor of the safe and you are good to go.Nice thing about them is,in seperate packages,you can see if there is any specific point where there is dampmess in the safe,by which package is swelling up or not.To dry them,just put them in an oven for about 10 mins on medium.

Yep that is how I done it. Got mine in barracks come's in the stores with the boots and stuff. Loads of little packages, does the job perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I get loads of those bags free at work,have 3 in safe and never a problem.
    also find them good for the car,,place a few on the rear window ledge to help with fogging up.
    And on that note,,here is a great tip for car windows,,rub in some shaving foam all over the inside windows and then polish the windows clean,,keeps them from fogging up for ages,also works on bathroom mirrors or kitchen windows,,use the white foam and not the gel type.

daveob007 wrote: »
    I get loads of those bags free at work,have 3 in safe and never a problem.
    also find them good for the car,,place a few on the rear window ledge to help with fogging up.
    And on that note,,here is a great tip for car windows,,rub in some shaving foam all over the inside windows and then polish the windows clean,,keeps them from fogging up for ages,also works on bathroom mirrors or kitchen windows,,use the white foam and not the gel type.

Nice one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

daveob007 wrote: »

Don't know about car windows but for goggles (Ski-ing, paintball, DH mountainbike etc) if you rub a cut spud around them then let it dry and polish it they don't fog up. Probably work on most things? Don't know about binoculars etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Ok guys dont laugh but a good source of silica is nappies, take out the silica pack and leave it in the safe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

tfox wrote: »
    Ok guys dont laugh but a good source of silica is nappies, take out the silica pack and leave it in the safe :D

One hell of an expensive way to get it :D

• Advertisement

What ever turns you on mate:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

unused ones please for gods sake

Advertisement